Engine shuts off in driving

Discussion in 'Freightliner Forum' started by lucky25, Sep 9, 2013.

1. lucky25

lucky25 Bobtail Member

Sep 9, 2013
    HI, I HAVE 2001 FREIGHTLINER CENTURY DETROIT S60 WITH FRESH OERHAUL, AND PROBLEM IS, EVERY TIME I ENTERING A HIGHWAY ENGINE SHUTS OFF BETWEEN 9TH AND 10 GEAR AT 1700 RPM. I HAVE CHANGE TIMING SENSORS, TEMPERATURE SENSOR, COOLANT LEVEL SENSOR, OIL PRESSURE SENSOR, TESTED A TRUCK WITH 2 DIFFERENT ECMs, CHANGED FUEL LINES, FUEL PUMP IS NEW... ENGINE STILL SHUTS OFF BY ITSELF, NO WARNING AND NO CHECK ENGINE LIGHT.TRUCK IS SHUTTING OFF ONLY WHEN I AM LOADED, THERE IS NO PROBLEM BOBTAILING???????????????????????THANKS

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Blind Driver

Blind Driver Road Train Member

Aug 7, 2006
    New Albany, IN
    Ouch...my eyes!!! :biggrin_25521:

4. Pilgrim007

Pilgrim007 Light Load Member

Sep 9, 2013
    Lucky 25, we'll in this case not so lucky,

Q, Does the engine just die or stall?

1. Check the Engine Brake / Exhaust Break isn't cutting in and causing too much back pressure.

2. Check your Fuel system is not blocking and causing a shut down.

3. Hows the fuel pump and filter? Just because its a new pump doesn't mean it ok it could still be faulty and the speed when changing could cause the pump to be slower than it should causing a shut down. Also the filter may be getting blocked with the extra demand of fuel. When the did the rebuild did they empty and re fill the fuel tank with your old fuel?
    Years ago I drove a truck that cut out at certain speeds it turned out that the previous driver had put pieces of cardboard in the tank to get back at the Boss. When I accelerated the cardboard was pulled to the outlet filter cutting of the fuel. It was only found by accident when someone suggested cleaning out the tank.

HTH..

PS. Hows your vacuum system?

5. snowwy

snowwy Road Train Member

Jul 6, 2009
    i spent 10iG on a w9 last year. that truck would just shut down any time it felt like it. power was good. engine just died. no warning.

after 3 months. and various road calls. i had the engine washed. and truck wouldn't start. found a hot wire from starter to ecm. routed along the frame. 3 mm of insulation was gone. bare copper touching the frame. so the ecm was shorting out.

a simple engine wash solved the gremlin that mechanics couldn't figure out.

blacklabel Thanks this.
  6. baha

baha Road Train Member

Jul 25, 2013
    ga
    2001 have a small ele. fuel pump (transfer) under cab U should here it run with eng, off. flipn. key on,off,on 4 a few sec. helps keep pump running

7. Jetsr6

Jetsr6 Light Load Member

May 20, 2011
    Mechanicsville, VA
    I'm thinking wiring too. After they had it all torn apart. Moving wires around. Something got pinched maybe.

8. ShootThis

ShootThis Medium Load Member

You said your Blind.:biggrin_2551:LIAR!!!!!

9. CondoCruiser

CondoCruiser The Legend

Apr 18, 2010
    Tennessee
    If it's not the fuel it's most likely an ECM wiring problem. I had one where it was an intermittent shutdown and finally quit. I called my dispatcher at home and woke him up. He told me to check the ECM wire at the batteries. It looked fine until I grabbed it. It snapped off in my hands. Oh snap! That was it. Over time the crimp end got wiggled so much it fractured. Similar to bending some thin metal back and forth until it breaks. As it was on it's last leg did the problems start.

Other than that I would think something floating in the fuel tank.

Tighten them shifts unless you have a puppy dog motor. 1700 is wasted fuel.

10. rbrtwbstr

rbrtwbstr Road Train Member

Jul 11, 2012
    in the bush somewhere
    Sounds electrical....I drove an 04 classic that would shut off intermittently. It had no rhyme or reason why, would happen a lot on rough roads. After two months of searching with no luck, one day the radio started acting up. While replacing the radio we found the main power wire had a bare spot which when touched against metal, would shut the truck off. After repairing that the truck never gave another problem. But who'd have thunk it???

11. lucky25

lucky25 Bobtail Member

Sep 9, 2013
    Thanks for a replay. Engine just die and wright after I could fire up normaly. fuel lines are new and I tested truck with 2 fuel pumps, when I driving a bobtail everything is ok until I pull a heavy load.

baha Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.