Engine temp 170.

Discussion in 'Volvo Forum' started by Paul Chamberlin, Feb 17, 2020.

1. nasriza

nasriza Road Train Member

Feb 1, 2013
    Chicago, IL
    i think you are chassing a problem that doesn’t exist I don’t know what Volvo tech told you this but any Volvo that I have seen over the years they all run 170 temp and they will not heat up to much unless you are going thru some major hills.

Doealex and Socal Xpress Thank this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Socal Xpress

Socal Xpress Road Train Member

Dec 6, 2014
    Los Angeles, Ca
    Are you going by what the stock.gauge shows you or something else?

4. Paul Chamberlin

Paul Chamberlin Bobtail Member

Aug 6, 2018
    Highway
    The problem is that it runs like crap and gets bad MPG. It started with an engine light then 4 trips to the shop for the same codes. Engine light is back on now 1000miles after they said nothing was wrong with it. I’m just try to eliminate any issues I can to avoid paying $140/h for an idiot mechanic to tell me nothing is wrong. Grrrr

5. Paul Chamberlin

Aug 6, 2018
    Highway
    Dash gauge, Volvo tested the temp sensor and it is properly functioning.

6. nasriza

nasriza Road Train Member

Feb 1, 2013
    Chicago, IL
    this I agree with you but running like #### and getting bad mpg might be something else I think going down the wrong path From experience as Volvo mechanic for past 12 years rarely have I see a properly running Volvo engine get up to more than 170 maybe you might have different issues what codes are you getting.

7. KD88

KD88 Bobtail Member

Feb 20, 2020

Hi paul,
    I have the almost sme problem from 2 days. Temperature stays 170 (-+10) even on hill. Mileage drop 8km/l(1mpg). I'm in Ontario its really cold here too, but temperature should goes to 190 as it's used too be in previous cold weather. I guess I find out that my fan is continuously running. It is not kicking on and off. So may issues with fan solenoid or fan hub. Waiting in northern Ontario to pull my truck into delear shop. Will update you about this problem.

8. 86scotty

86scotty Road Train Member

Aug 27, 2017
    Appalachia
    If you are getting 6 mpg out of a Volvo (if it's a D13) you've got another problem.

bzinger Thanks this.
  9. Paul Chamberlin

Aug 6, 2018
    Highway
    Awesome. Well sort of.. lol. Let me know if they find anything. I don’t have any issues with the fan it turns on and off properly.
    I’m in northern Michigan at the moment and had to idle for the night. 600 rpm at .08GPH, woke up at 03:30 and it was at 1100 rpm at 4.3GPH!! This truck is killing me!! Just another issue to add to the puzzle that is Volvo.

10. Paul Chamberlin

Aug 6, 2018
    Highway
    Yep. Absolutely but the shop can’t find anything wrong. And it cost me $140/h for those idiots to look at it. The engine light is back on so I’ll go back and have them plug it in again.

11. Newto Trucking

Newto Trucking Medium Load Member

Dec 26, 2013
    NE Illinois
    If you go thru Diagnostic sub menu on a cluster right now with engine light on, what are the codes that you see there.
    When the engine idles at 1100 rpm it’s trying to warm up dpf and scr all d13 engines are programmed to do that.

bzinger Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.