EPA Crackdown on Deleted Trucks

Discussion in 'Trucking Industry Regulations' started by Shaggy76, Sep 17, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Long FLD

Long FLD Road Train Member

Mar 4, 2015
    I turned over 437k on mine before I parked it mid-April. So far the emission related problems I’ve had are one nox sensor and harness, DPF was cleaned at 240k, DEF tank filter at 300k (per service manual) and the truck will be going in June 1 when I’m done with vacation for DPF cleaning. It’s just like everything else, take care of it and there’s less likely to be any issues. Did the filter need cleaned at 240k? Probably not. Does it need cleaned now? Probably not. Am I saving future headaches doing it before it needs it? Probably.

Brettj3876, Tb0n3 and bzinger Thank this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Rubber duck kw

Rubber duck kw Road Train Member

Dec 9, 2017
    They seem like a Ford 6.0 to me, very hit and miss, it'll be the best truck you've ever owned or a complete pos that pisses you off to no end.

Shawn2130 and Roberts450 Thank this.
  4. Long FLD

Mar 4, 2015
    The guys I know that buy new or nearly new and do the preventative stuff have far fewer issues than the guys that buy something with 400k on it where the previous owner did nothing. Many people just drive the new ones and do nothing to them and then complain when they start having problems. These trucks come with a service interval book for a reason.

5. nikmirbre

nikmirbre Road Train Member

Jul 27, 2011
    High Point NC
    Actually I learned this week that the Freightliner dealers (excel) here in NC/SC/VA will work on them...... My truck doesn't have emissions but someone I know has had theirs worked on them there.

6. MACK E-6

MACK E-6 Moderator Staff Member

Sep 19, 2005
    Baltimore, MD
    And after that “regen” you’ll be good for... what?

One day?

...Not to mention the time bomb known as the EGR cooler.

AModelCat and Rubber duck kw Thank this.
  7. sbaumann14

sbaumann14 Road Train Member

Sep 1, 2010
    Rhinelander, WI
    True. But if you can take off the emissions stuff, you'll be better ahead. I say this for 2 reasons:

1) The fewer number of parts to maintain, the less chance of repair. Its just numbers.

2) i dont p iss on my steak before i eat it, why in h ell would i feed dirty air back into the motor if i had a chance not to?

Thats all i got

Shawn2130, MACK E-6 and Rubber duck kw Thank this.
  8. AModelCat

AModelCat Road Train Member

Jul 7, 2015
    Canuckistan
    EGR will be gone soon enough. Caterpillar has already gone away with it on some of their engines. NOx cleanup is done solely in the aftertreatment system now on those engines.

Shawn2130 Thanks this.
  9. Long FLD

Mar 4, 2015
    Depends on how long you plan on keeping it. If it’s running fine and not giving me problems I’d have a hard time writing that check to delete it. If you do it right and take everything off, replace the turbo and manifold, and put a big fuel tank on because the def tank isn’t needed that’s a decent chunk of change and I like my money.

I was going to order a truck this year but since I’ll have 6 months of being home every night once I come back in June I can wait until sometime in 2021. I’ll still be out of this one at 500k, the emissions will still be intact so I can trade if I don’t want to sell outright, and it will be far away from me once the problems start. Unless I decide to keep it and just buy another truck, then once the problems start I’ll address them then.

10. Rubber duck kw

Rubber duck kw Road Train Member

Dec 9, 2017
    That should go a long way to making them more reliable.

Shawn2130 Thanks this.
  11. Cat sdp

Cat sdp . .

Apr 8, 2012
    Orion's Belt
    Most guys around here either run 07 or older or brand new for 3 years and don’t do anything at all to them. Then trade for another new one....

They don’t even get extended warranty because they know their gonna dump them .....

kuzima93, Nostalgic and Long FLD Thank this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

• Thread Status:
    Not open for further replies.