Error code spn 647, fmi 5

Discussion in 'Freightliner Forum' started by Asttiac, Apr 14, 2018.

1. Asttiac

Asttiac Bobtail Member

Mar 28, 2018
    I think it’s solenoid problem, cause my mpg grew up week ago.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. shogun

shogun Road Train Member

Jan 23, 2009
    Doing a regen
    Check with truckpro and Freightliner to compare prices, although Freightliner is usually pretty reasonable.

4. Asttiac

Asttiac Bobtail Member

Mar 28, 2018
    I’ll check, but need to buy voltmeter for that, my bad. How to check it? Just put voltmeter needles inside the plug?

5. shogun

shogun Road Train Member

Jan 23, 2009
    Doing a regen
    Yes, and if you have the prongs backwards it will just read negative voltage, but it will be correct voltage. Check the wires for any chafing or rubbing as far as you can follow them just to be safe. Get a multi meter with ac/dc and resistance reading values, it should have the OHM symbol. Those come in handy for reading sensor values.

6. shogun

shogun Road Train Member

Jan 23, 2009
    Doing a regen
    Once you get a multi meter with resistance reading capability, you can dig a little deeper. The MCM is just the ECM which is bolted onto the block with two big harnesses attached. You would set your meter to read resistance, and unplug the harnesses and measure the resistance from the pins and the connector that plugs into the solenoid. It explains it in the link posted on the first page of this thread.

If certain values aren’t met, or are too high, most likely replace the solenoid. Or if they values are wrong, say lower than they should be, or higher too, you fix the wiring issue that caused it. That’s why I was saying to check all the wiring for chafing. Your problem is simple to fix, it just requires a little troubleshooting. Or you could just buy a new solenoid and see if that eliminates it before you start unplugging things.

If that is the only fault code showing, then it’s probably the solenoid.

7. Asttiac

Asttiac Bobtail Member

Mar 28, 2018
    Another problem is the issue of fuel sensor that appears sometimes, and earlier than fan circuit problem.

8. shogun

shogun Road Train Member

Jan 23, 2009
    Doing a regen
    is It the fuel temp sensor or fuel level sensor? If it’s the temp fault then it’s probably the sensor is dirty on the secondary fuel filter. If it’s the fuel level issue, that could be a loose connection behind the dash or at the tanks. Neither are really an issue, just more of an annoyance,

9. Asttiac

Asttiac Bobtail Member

Mar 28, 2018
    I’m trying to find this part in database. I’m in the shop atm.

10. Asttiac

Asttiac Bobtail Member

Mar 28, 2018
    Update. When I started engine today morning, the began to rotate fast first and then slower, so it changes modes. So I guess it works properly. But when I opened “diagnostics” on my dash, I’ve found that the problem still presents. See pic. Fault still active but fan works as usual.

Attached Files:

11. shogun

shogun Road Train Member

Jan 23, 2009
    Doing a regen
    sometimes the computer has to do so many diagnostics checks before the code becomes inactive and disappears. I have had some do that on me. If the fan is changing speeds, then it should be back to normal. If it’s running full blast constantly a few days from now, check the resistance on the plug and harness and if it doesn’t meet the values, change the solenoid.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.