Esbar Bunk Heater

Discussion in 'Questions From New Drivers' started by country country, Feb 26, 2017.

1. country country

country country Bobtail Member

Feb 11, 2017
    Is any one familiar with the Espar Bunk Heater?? The cool fan blows fine,but when I try to run the heat the red light stays on.It never blows out heat and this is a brand new blower under the bed....what reasons why its not working properly maybe I miss trouble shooting something

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Ridgeline

Ridgeline Road Train Member

Dec 18, 2011
    Michigan
    Yeah it needs to go to the dealer and checked out.

4. country country

country country Bobtail Member

Feb 11, 2017
    Is you familiar with it

5. Jumbo

Jumbo Road Train Member

Sep 4, 2009
    Appleton, Wisconsin
    They are fairly simple. They need fuel and fire to work. You are missing one or more of those.

country country Thanks this.
  6. Brandt

Brandt Road Train Member

Sep 17, 2012
    Their is not much to them. Usually they won't fire up when they get older from carbon buildup. Usually you can hear the little fuel pumpout side by fuel tank clicking when heater is running but not much you do to fix them if the it won't ignite the fuel and start but replace the stuff inside. You can tell they are getting carbon buildup when they get older because you see all the white smoke when they try to start.

7. dca

dca Road Train Member

May 31, 2011
    Earth
    The red light lights up on mine once in awhile, seems to light up more if the heat is set at 80 plus, 78 or less works best. I've tried idling the truck thinking the batteries are low on juice. point is it still working.

8. Ridgeline

Dec 18, 2011
    Michigan
    There is maintenance that has to be done to them every year.

I do not allow my drivers to mess with them because they can be damaged by someone who doesn't know what they are doing.

The problem is with most people, they lack the tools and/or knowledge to deal with it so it is better to take it somewhere to have it looked at and fixed right.

By the way, you guys who have them, you do turn them on once a month every month to keep them in running shape?

https://esparparts.com/preventative-maintenance-n-21.html

country country and dca Thank this.
  9. nikmirbre

nikmirbre Road Train Member

Jul 27, 2011
    High Point NC
    For the first few months I had mine..I didn't know how to work it...I knew it was on the truck when I bought it.....My flatbed dumps the air when I set the brakes so a lot of times I sit with just my trailer brakes set. I would go to the back and try to turn it on...but nothing would happen...then I learn you gotta have my truck brakes set for it to turn on......... :)

Yes running them once a month for about 15-20min keeps em running efficiently. I took mine to thermoking about 2.5 years ago and got the maintenance done to it...I think it was like $389... but I also had the same problem the OP had. It blew air but it never got cold. I think they also replaced the igniter or something....I can't remember but that thing is good to have because I hate idling!!!!!

dca Thanks this.
  10. Ridgeline

Dec 18, 2011
    Michigan
    I will add this, the little computer that's inside them cost me $650 to replace.

One reason why I stress don't mess with them unless you know what's going on.

11. dca

dca Road Train Member

May 31, 2011
    Earth
    Other than experimenting with the temps and changing a filter, I don't mess with em. made the mistake of covering the intake vent under the bunk, the bumps in the road moved a light box over and covered it. never should of kept it there, left a sheet of paper in the wrong spot, it managed to make its way to the vent. now I check it. a recepit can change things, it doesn't take much

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.