Espar bunk heater

Discussion in 'Questions From New Drivers' started by Keepontrucking2016, Sep 21, 2019.

1. Keepontrucking2016

Keepontrucking2016 Light Load Member

Apr 7, 2016
    I have factory installed espar d2 bunk heater it worked fine for a year when summer came I didn't use it n never bother checking. The other day I noticed I have no power to my Digi max I checked all fuses even in the bunk heater one none where blown I checked with my multimeter the positive and negative power has no voltage is there something I'm missing somewhere I checked every fuse I can't think n found nothing need help please

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Opendeckin

Opendeckin Medium Load Member

May 20, 2018
    Did you check the power connection at the battery?

4. Ridgeline

Ridgeline Road Train Member

Dec 18, 2011
    Michigan
    You need to take it to the Espar dealer and have them go through it.

And run it every month, it needs to be run at least once a month for 15 to 30 minutes to keep it running in the winter.

Tx Countryboy and tscottme Thank this.
  5. Keepontrucking2016

Apr 7, 2016
    there is nothing by the batteries because it's factory installed I checked

6. Keepontrucking2016

Apr 7, 2016
    They charge to much I don't take to any stealerships they just rip u off I'm trying to figure out on my own it could be something simple

7. ChaoSS

ChaoSS Road Train Member

Sep 20, 2014
    They charge because they know what to look for.

alds and FlaSwampRat Thank this.
  8. SteveScott

SteveScott Road Train Member

Nov 10, 2015
    Found this with an online search. The system is designed to not turn on if the batteries are at a minimum voltage level.

http://www.sprinter-rv.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/09/2013_Espar_AirtronicD2-D4_Repair_Manual.pdf

Fault reader displaying - - - (dash dash dash) or non-functional Espar unit without fault codes
    1 . Check units open circuit voltage at the batteries.
    2 . If the voltage is below 12.6 (Flooded cell) or below 12.8 (AGM) charge the batteries to a minimum of 12.4 volts (must be above the system LVD setting)following your company’s standard practices and restart troubleshooting. a. Otherwise continue below.
    3 . Connect Diagnostic Interface adapter (Figure 15).
    4 . Using the “Y” adapter and multi-meter: a. Perform a continuity test to verify ground on the brown wire of 0 ohms. b. Perform a voltage test to verify battery power between the red wire and the brown wire.I. If voltage is below 10.5 volts troubleshoot the tractor’s wiring utilizing the manufacturer’s documentation – II. Check for harness voltage drop to the heater. c. Perform a test to verify continuity to the diagnostic reader at blue wire-white tracer at the white connector and blue wire-yellow tracer on the Espar heater.I. If wires are damaged repair wires.II. Always use heat shrink, solder or connectors with heat shrink tubing when making wiring repairs.
    5 . If the problem persists connect the test harness (Figure 15) and wire the Espar directly to the batteries. a. Plug the 8 pin adapter test harness in series with the Espar harness at the heater.6 . Use a known good battery (12 volt min.) and supply external power using the white connector plug (heavy red wire=power, heavy brown wire=ground).7 . If the problem persists, replace the control unit (ECU).

9. dunchues

dunchues Medium Load Member

Mar 23, 2012
    new brunswick
    Nice move. With all the money you save you could buy a new one maybe? Those rip off dealers eh.

10. Ffx95

Ffx95 Road Train Member

May 18, 2017
    You’re not paying for the labor. You’re paying for the knowledge and guarantee. You can take it to joe the tinker but when he messes up something else know that it was cheaper for a reason.

alds and FlaSwampRat Thank this.
  11. 77fib77

77fib77 Road Train Member

Jul 7, 2010
    St Louis
    Is there a separate set of fuses? Another fuse box?

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.