Espar maintenance

Discussion in 'Heavy Duty Diesel Truck Mechanics Forum' started by Dna Mach, Jan 3, 2022.

1. pavrom

pavrom Road Train Member

Apr 29, 2012
    NE illinois
    Getting rid of fairings , head gasket repair , rear tail light panel. Had 3 weeks vacation in November - gonna keep up with you guys now ... This week is the last before another 2 weeks home time , annual ski trip ... Hopefully head gasket will be done in January ... Rest i do myself ... Just too cold and lazy :) ... Ohh got stage 3 turbo for it as well from Kurt ... Have to ship him ECM for retune while skiing

Attached Files:

JonJon78 Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. D.Tibbitt

D.Tibbitt Road Train Member

Apr 26, 2013
    Gettin' down westbound
    Do you hear the clicky clicky sound of the fuel pump when turning it on?

JonJon78 and GYPSY65 Thank this.
  4. Antinomian

Antinomian Road Train Member

Feb 17, 2013
    You should hear a clicking noise when it's trying to light. Do you know for certain it's pumping fuel up to the unit?

Mine would run sometimes and sometimes it wouldn't light no matter what I did. Sometimes it would run all night and sometimes I'd wake up freezing. All I changed was the screen and that solved it. That was about a year ago.

I had to dig the old screen out with a pair of needle nose pliers.

JonJon78, GYPSY65, Dna Mach and 2 others Thank this.
  5. mtoo

mtoo Road Train Member

Jan 15, 2011
    Retired on bended knee
    X2
    Kerosene is your friend. If you want to eliminate all maintenance problems with an Espar heater, then get a small extra fuel tank, dedicated to the Espar, and run only kerosene.

6. LoneRanger

LoneRanger Road Train Member

Jun 3, 2018
    im having the same issue.

It use to click, but not anymore, after reading this thread, I guess I need to replace a screen.

JonJon78 and D.Tibbitt Thank this.
  7. D.Tibbitt

Apr 26, 2013
    Gettin' down westbound
    If no click sound then ur fuel pumps not working. You can also place your hand on the pump itself. Its plumbed off your fuel tanks and goes to the part of the cab where ur unit is mounted. Its a small little pump and you should be able to feell it pulsating when its turned on. They get clogged up easily with the treated winter fuel

8. BobO1176

BobO1176 Light Load Member

Oct 29, 2021
    Correct the best solution is additional separate tank with kerosene.
    However, kerosene is not handy around here. You can mix gasoline and diesel at 4:1 ratio (4 parts diesel to 1 part gasoline) to give you same properties as kerosene and a more convenient replacement. Will not smoke and create the soot problems straight diesel does.

D.Tibbitt Thanks this.
  9. D.Tibbitt

Apr 26, 2013
    Gettin' down westbound
    Where do u buy kerosene at ?

10. 062

062 Road Train Member

Oct 20, 2013
    If you’re just looking to clean it out, then Walmart,Lowe’s and Home Depot sell kerosene.
    If you’re looking to run a dedicated tank, then you have to find a gas station that sells clear kerosene. Don’t use the dyed stuff it will clog the screen up.

D.Tibbitt Thanks this.
  11. Magoo1968

Magoo1968 Road Train Member

Mar 18, 2021
    St Malo mb
    This works well also open windows and run on max heat while burning kerosene . All you need to do is disconnect line at tank and put it in the kerosene I alway use a plastic pop bottle with kerosene in it due to tight location I make a small hole through the cap to insert fuel line .

mtoo and D.Tibbitt Thank this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.