ESTES Express (5 Year Review)

Discussion in 'Discuss Your Favorite Trucking Company Here' started by KaoMinerva, Oct 3, 2018.

1. like clay… +++

like clay… +++ Light Load Member

Sep 24, 2019
    Northwest Oklahoma

What state did you apply for haz renewal?

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. like clay… +++

Sep 24, 2019
    Northwest Oklahoma
    I got my approval letter for renewal in only 7 days through the mail, but a man from the agency over the phone informed me that he was shocked that in less than 2 days the computer showed I was approved. Usually took 2-3 weeks for renewal approvals prior to that one. I’m due again this year but only because my CDL has to be renewed.

** Current TWIC holders might speed up the hazmat renewal process since no additional background investigation is required…? One of the new DOT laws that changed back in Fall of 2020 I believe. **

TWIC can be renewed online up to one year before or after expiration… be nice if they would streamline hazmat renewals as well.

States pretty much make up their own rules for hazmat… another DOT change is that states no longer need require new background investigation when moving into a different state and applying for an already current CDL with hazmat. Some states honor the rule change and some just want the money!

Last edited: Apr 8, 2023
    Reason for edit: added remark
  4. KaoMinerva

KaoMinerva Transcendent God

Feb 5, 2016
    Yes there are actually 2 big Atlanta terminals on the same street. 041 & 141

More terminals just means more stopping or short dispatches. I don't like that personally but money can still be made. We are now paid $10 for every extra dispatch now so if you hit extra terminals it's more money potentially. I just prefer to drive 600+ miles door to door and be done. Both those terminals have big shops for repairs.

Every terminal at Estes has it's own life so there's no real one size fits all. I work for Estes so I'd give them the nod but odfl is known to be more structured and controlled. Estes is kinda chaotic and the equipment isn't a good as odfl. Estes is also a PRIVATE COMPANY WHEREAS ODFL IS PUBLIC. During the pandemic... We weren't laid off while the guys at ODFL were. Do with that what you will.

I don't work for ODFL but I have ODFL stocks. lol

MACK E-6, drvrtech77, dwells40 and 2 others Thank this.
  5. KaoMinerva

Feb 5, 2016
    Estes is the wild wild west brother. You can come in day 1 and secure a run but if things get bad you'll get knocked and have to go to the board. The guys I got hired with had runs day 1 while I chose to run the road. When things got bad they all got knocked to the extra board. To secure a big money run it's gonna take a while depending on the cut time.

6. like clay… +++

Sep 24, 2019
    Northwest Oklahoma
    I was offered a bid run out of Wichita yard 4 yrs ago… sometimes I wonder if I should have taken it.

Are you familiar with operations and anything good or bad out of Wichita?

7. Champion bulldogs

Champion bulldogs Bobtail Member

Jul 24, 2021
    Can u explain what a hub/combo driver is at estes.

8. KaoMinerva

Feb 5, 2016
    There are some big money runs out of Wichita despite it being a smaller terminal. One of the hardest ones is Wichita to Albuquerque, NM but it pays so good. I've always liked going there because it's a money pit but it's one of the smaller terminal. When it's pumping with freight it's hard to maneuver around it. I don't really have anything bad to say about it because I've always made big green when pulling out of it.

Memphis also pumps ALOT of freight to Wichita. The other good thing about it is it's surrounded by bigger bulk terminals... Dallas, Arlington, Oklahoma City, Kansas City & to a smaller extent Tulsa. If there's no freight... They'll dead head you to one of those terminals. I've also had times where I did double OKC turns out of Wichita... 600+ miles with alot of breaks and hooks!

like clay… +++ and dwells40 Thank this.
  9. like clay… +++

Sep 24, 2019
    Northwest Oklahoma
    Thx, I sometimes kick myself for not taking the run I was offered… directly from the terminal Mgr 82K, 5 nights out two same consecutive days off. Had no idea they would deadhead to other terminals when no freight available. That’s really gud to know.

10. KaoMinerva

Feb 5, 2016
    Hub/combo is when you do a combination of things like...

1. Work the dock at your home terminal, run linehaul to another terminal, and then come back. (End of the day)

2. Work the dock only if there is no available freight to run.

3. Fill in for any linehaul operations as needed.

4. Run linehaul to another terminal, work the dock/load your own trailers, drive back to your home terminal. (End of the day)

5. Work the dock at your home terminal, drive to another terminal, work the dock there/load your own trailers, drive back to your home terminal, and also work the dock if possible. (It happens if freight is pumping crazy and you have the hours)

I've also seen combo guys do yard jockey alongside working the dock. Combo/hub guys are like Jack of all trades. The main DOWNSIDE is combo/hub seniority is SEPARATE FROM LINEHAUL/EXTRA BOARD.

A GUY WITH 20 YEARS COMBO SENIORITY CAN NOT GO LINEHAUL AND TRUMP A NEW HIRE WITH 1 DAY LINEHAUL EXPERIENCE.

You have 4 lanes are Estes. City, Linehaul/Extra board, Combo/Hub, & Team. As far as I know... TEAM IS THE ONLY ONE THAT'S TRANSFERABLE WITH LINEHAUL/EXTRA BOARD.

Gearjammin' Penguin and dwells40 Thank this.
  11. Nickanator1988

Nickanator1988 Light Load Member

Jul 8, 2022

Thanks your the man full of great info and amazing advice your an intelligent fella who pays attention to great detail i respect you driver-!!!!!

I haven't driven manual transmission since i tested for my cdl 5yrs ago never driven one since. Its not my fault the industry did away with them.

Will estes give me a refresher on driving manual if im honest with them? Thats the only thing that worries me.. you helped me make my decision ketchup and mustard it is lol...

LtlAnonymous and dwells40 Thank this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.