Estes Express

Discussion in 'Motor Carrier Questions - The Inside Scoop' started by motocross25, Oct 8, 2010.

1. motocross25

motocross25 Road Train Member

Sep 23, 2010
    Overland Park, KS
    Hey drivers anyone got anything recent to cheer or jeer about Estes Express Lines? I've browsed through the threads everything posted seems around 2 years old and not much info was givin so I thought I'd drop a line out there again. I got accepted for a position out of the St. Louis terminal and all sounds good I'm just hopin to get more of an inside scoop. Any and all info would be appreciated. Thanks.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Mortar Man

Mortar Man Road Train Member

Dec 16, 2008
    Years back around 2001 I worked for
    US Food Service ... In Paducah Ky

Estes had a small satilite terminal there . From what I understood it is by the hour work with no overtime ... I'm not sure if that was local or line haul

The drivers seemed happy I saw little to no turnover out of that facility
    I know that's not much help but best advise I can lend

motocross25 Thanks this.
  4. Allow Me.

Allow Me. Trucker Forum STAFF Staff Member

May 28, 2009
    Rancho Mirage, Ca.
    You doing LTL or line? Either way, you should be OK if you get 40 hours a week. If you do LTL, you'll probably do dock work at least a few hours a day. Being the grunt, you may get sent home if business is slow and may not get 40 hours. :bootyshake::blob3:

5. motocross25

Sep 23, 2010
    Overland Park, KS
    Well thanks for the replies so far guys I appreciate it. And AllowMe I got in with the linehaul position. He said it will be a combination of out and backs and maybe laying down for a couple nights a week somewhere else. Its fine with me though I'm in foodservice now workin 45-50 hours a week and not gettin paid in 2 weeks what I was makin in ONE week running regional OTR. But the economy got slow and I wasn't movin so you gotta do what you gotta do right? Hopefully this upcoming job will be light at the end of the tunnel. Well I;m done babbling thanks again guys be safe and have a good weekend.

6. Bad~Papa

Bad~Papa Bobtail Member

Oct 15, 2010
    unknown
    Hi, all. Been at Estes since July of last year. I have to say I'm real happy here as a hub driver after 2 plus years for another LTL carrier that will remain unnammed at least for now. It sounds like they have you slated for an extra board position. I've run into guys that like this and some that don't. It seems to get down to how many miles you're getting and thats completely understandable. They will run you where ever they need you as runs come up and possibly cover regular runs when someone is out for 1 reason or other. The only downside to linehall here is that if you're running meet and swaps, you have to rely on another driver, his equipment, and his terminal getting him out on time. As an extra board guy, you may not have to deal with this all that often though unless you are covering existing regular runs. Most of the guys out of my barn seem to be happy as I haven't heard very much at all I'd consider negative as opposed to my last position where there were quite a few drivers that weren't happy.

motocross25 Thanks this.
  7. motocross25

Sep 23, 2010
    Overland Park, KS
    Thanks for the added info.. yea he was saying something about the extra board position, but I was going to be in the Utility division. which I guess, from what i gathered. was going to be doing a little bit of everything as needed. He said right now it looks like i'd be runnin longer trips like leave monday come back friday. I'm still in the running I have not heard back yet, but I have a little one on the way due Jan 2nd and not sure if it's the best time for me to leave my home every day foodservice job for a gone a week at a time gig. I appreciate the added info tho man what terminal do you work out of Bad Papa?

8. Bad~Papa

Bad~Papa Bobtail Member

Oct 15, 2010
    unknown
    I'm out of 171 Billerica here in Mass. Crazy as it seems, if you do come to work for Estes, there is an outside chance our paths will cross the way this company works. I've run into one driver from Cincinnati, a husband & wife team from Arizona as well as other drivers from the Carolinas. I actually started as a utility guy, but I happened to hit it just right here. They were intending to reopen the 070 Methuen terminal and every one that went there came out of here and I wound up with a hub position. Like any other company, its not a perfect world, but as I said, most everybody seems to be fairly happy here. If you have any other questions, don't hesitate to ask.

9. Graymist

Graymist Light Load Member

Jan 25, 2007
    Just curious, since there's a terminal not too far from where I live....what are the average earnings like, if you don't mind me asking ?

10. Bad~Papa

Bad~Papa Bobtail Member

Oct 15, 2010
    unknown
    You should easily be able to make $55,000 or so to start without trying too hard. If you can get yourself one of the longer regular linehaul runs at top rate you will make somewhere around $90,000 when you hit top rate after 3 years.

edit: One thing I'm not sure about is whether rates vary in different areas of the country. I based those numbers on what we are getting here in the northeast. $90,000 may be a bit on the high side unless you are running 6 days a week occaisionally which our guys do during the busy months, but the guys with those runs tell me its do-able.

Last edited: Oct 18, 2010
    outerspacehillbilly Thanks this.
  11. outerspacehillbilly

outerspacehillbilly "Instigator of the Legend"

May 28, 2009
    The Who's Your State
    Wow. I think I'll look into Estes more myself when I get moved back to IN next week. They are always hiring out of Indy it seems.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.