Evaluating A Motor Carrier - The Interview

Discussion in 'Experienced Truckers' Advice' started by TurboTrucker, Aug 13, 2005.

1. Joethemechanic

Joethemechanic Medium Load Member

Mar 22, 2006
    Phila Pa
    Run a credit check on the company if you are serious about working for them. It costs less then 10 bucks through credit.net or ecredit. Think of it this way, it will cost you more than $10 in gas money to drive past their terminal to check them out.

You would be suprised how many companies have bad or so-so credit.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Valkyrie

Valkyrie Bobtail Member

Dec 10, 2007
    Everett, PA
    Tons of useful info... I'm trying to integrate this with the questions from the OOIDA site. The companies I end up interviewing with will either be impressed or sweating bullets. :biggrin_255:

Thanks guys,
    Valkyrie

4. LuckyLady7

LuckyLady7 <strong>Good Luck Charm</strong>

Nov 8, 2007
    South Carolina
    Where is Round O SC???

5. halfbreeds warwagon

halfbreeds warwagon Bobtail Member

Dec 28, 2007
    bessemer, Alabama
    Safestat online is the place to go. Not only does it give ratings it will list every violation, accident ect. for the past 30 months and is updated every month. It is FMCSA that does this. I found it by accident after my husbands lease company did a walk around and signed off as a Federal D.O.T. on a truck he was to sign papers on, they missed a wore out drag link and pittman arm. Use your imagination on what happend going 70 down a hill and it will be accurate. He had the truck 9 days. 3 weeks later they called and said they were terming his lease because he let his ruck get insuch bad shape, then they said " I do not care what happend it is your fault no matter what". I found out so much about this company I am glad he is not dead.

6. halfbreeds warwagon

halfbreeds warwagon Bobtail Member

Dec 28, 2007
    bessemer, Alabama
    with safstat online all the reports,are at your finger tips. they list every violation, crash, out of service ect. On safer web it will give you numbers on the company snapshot,unless you order the company profile for $20.00. I ordered the profile and got 176 pages of violations over 3 years, trucks numbers included. You can probly use safstat to evaulate check under truck inspections/ with oos violations this gives you a very clear veiw about equipment maintanance.

7. kap

kap Bobtail Member

Jun 1, 2007
    Kentucky
    Thanks for the insight. I got 6 months OTR...looking to get back into it.
    take it easy.

8. thinkingaboutit

thinkingaboutit Bobtail Member

Feb 2, 2008
    omaha, ne
    Great information!
    Thanks

9. threeieighteen

threeieighteen Bobtail Member

Feb 20, 2008
    Davenport, Iowa
    Very Very well put. The Guidence from Safestat and the right questions get you on to the right career path with a carrier that will work with you and for you. Remember if you are paid by the mile that you need the miles and it is up to the carrier to provide them to you.
    If you are paid on a percentage that 1% of nothing is nothing so determine some of the rates established with the carrier that you intend to join. If they are not ashamed of the rates then they should be glad to share them with you!

10. Jazzman

Jazzman Bobtail Member

Aug 8, 2004
    Yeah, I like that dude. Pretty good.

11. tuckerndfw

tuckerndfw Light Load Member

Mar 16, 2008
    Dallas, TX
    Excellent list. Very comprehensive.

The comment you made that was most important of all should have been emphasized:

TRUCKING COMPANIES ARE NOTORIOUS FOR LYING.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.