Ever wonder what question's to ask a new company before signing on with them?

Discussion in 'Questions From New Drivers' started by Redneck, Aug 11, 2006.

1. shackhouser

shackhouser Bobtail Member

Sep 5, 2009
    Great list, you should add:

Does your company use USIS/DAC reporting services?

Very important to know as minor mishaps can haunt you for a very long time with these reports....

pinballwizard Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Dave27107

Dave27107 Light Load Member

Feb 11, 2009
    Midway, TN
    Last edited: Sep 9, 2009
  4. J60608

J60608 Bobtail Member

May 18, 2009
    Chicago
    Speedman can you send or post the spreadsheet , or anyone that has a copy.

5. J60608

J60608 Bobtail Member

May 18, 2009
    Chicago
    "what average speed you are allowed to log at?" What does log at mean ?
    What does governing mean ?

If you are in traffic or you want to take it easy and cruise at 40 to 50 mph , you will get paid less ? They will call you and ask or complain why you are going slow ?

If I got out of training or in training I'am not going to be flying down the road at 70 mph , after I get used to driving then yeah.

6. Larz

Larz Light Load Member

Aug 28, 2009
    Chandler, AZ
    Average speed you are allowed to log at means that even if your truck can do 70 MPH and you run at that for the 11 hours you are allowed to run, the company will only allow you to log at an average speed of 60 MPH (or whatever their limits are). This helps red flags from popping up with DOT when they do their audit of the company.

Governing means a limiter on how fast your vehicle will go. A lot of bigger companies are governing their trucks at 65 or 62 for better fuel economy, meaning that is the top speed your truck will go.

If you are in traffic and decide to drive slower, you should be OK as long as the load gets to the destination on time. Most companies do not care how long it takes you to get to the destination as long as you pick up and deliver on time.

I hope this helps.

7. 074344

074344 Road Train Member

Aug 4, 2007
    Los Angeles, ca
    That is an excellent list of questions under company driver. Those are the majority of people are who are on this website.

Here is the downfall of those questions. Are the answers you are receiving from employers truthful? Will they put their answers in writing and sign their name on that document? If the answer is no, most likely that are doing whatever they can to get you to hire on. Ask questions. Be blunt. If you don't like their answer, walk away.

We all started somewhere. However, that does not mean that you have to be treated like crap. Good luck.

Drive safe

8. KCGuy

KCGuy Light Load Member

Sep 20, 2009
    Kansas City, MO
    I know this list is about 3 years old but it is still great now. I am looking at starting a new career as a trucker and this will be a great help. Thanks.

9. Croosbronx Expressway

Croosbronx Expressway Light Load Member

Oct 27, 2009
    Bronx, NY
    In this list there's alot of information. Good to know. But what if you don't like the answers the company gives you. What then? Companies are looking to downsize or downgrade to save costs and make a profit. After all, isn't this what we are all in it for.

The company that doesn't adapt to time and the economy can only fail. They need to be competitive especially in this global economy. It can turn on a dime. People need to do the same. Take. Take, Take... is not the answer. If everyone is taking and expecting the world. The industry will fail. Look at whats happening with health benefits. Everyone wants a good insurance but not pay for it.

The companies take a major hit on this. The medical industry is running the country into the ground and taking everything else with it. Look at what wall street did recenlty with the hosuing market. In the end, greed is not good for any one of us. It can only lead to disaster..

Congress, can not change this. In fact they can be the problem at times. It going to take a candidate who's true to his heart and has no fear to turn things around. even then, 4 years is just not enough time. And so, what a individual does in office can be undone by another individual.

10. beargizer

beargizer Bobtail Member

May 25, 2009
    Greenville, OH
    could you send me a copy, I would greatly appreciate it. Thanks Beargizer
    at beargizer@yahoo.com

11. JustSonny

JustSonny Big Dummy

Oct 22, 2009
    Troutman NC
    Hey BitterSweet,
    Thanks for the helping hand. If you wouldn't mind, send me a copy at sonny54@yahoo.com
    ONWB

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.