Ex disgruntled employee

Discussion in 'Trucking Industry Regulations' started by swaggerjacker, Apr 19, 2017.

1. x1Heavy

x1Heavy Road Train Member

Mar 5, 2016
    White County, Arkansas
    First off Im glad it worked out well.

Second off, I once had to replace lost keys for a vehicle. They had to get the original keys from Japan where the vehicle was made and keyed at the factory there. Once the appropriate codes for lack of a better word was in hand from Japan, it caused the 5.00 key to become something in the order of a 50 dollar key due to the charges run up in communicating that information overseas in that time prior to the internet.

With that experience, there is no vehicle made that cannot be rekeyed in some way. Older cars have the rings drilled out all the time and new keyset and rings issued.

swaggerjacker Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. FireLotus

FireLotus Light Load Member

Mar 26, 2017
    Glad it worked out....

Just a couple things... about the keys, always keep a set of keys for all your trucks... something interesting however... there are only so many ways to cut a key to fit a truck.. so, often times, a key from one freightliner will work on another one.. often it may open the doors but not work for the ignition, or vise versa.. something I found out at the Large Iowa 80 truck stop when I went to the bathroom in the middle of the night... I went back to my truck, unlocked it with my key and climbed in... but still sleepy was looking around and bewildered because things weren't right.. before I could realize I had unlocked and climbed into the wrong truck.. a very large man ripped open the curtain and loudly yelled... I just went in to fight mode of my fight or flight response, and started punching.. which didn't really do much as the large man just caught my fists in his hands.. he then saw that I was wearing a Werner hoodie.. and asked do you drive for Werner.. I was struggling to no avail to free my fists from his grasp.. when he said.. calm down.. I think you got in the wrong truck.. it took him a couple times telling me that for it to sink in as I was in a failing fight for my life.. my 5'2" 130 lbs was not anything for his 6'3" 200lbs plus to handle.. well.. he finally got me to calm down and realize I was in the wrong truck.. we had a good laugh and we found my truck one row over... our trucks were both the black ones and the numbers were almost the same..
    Needles to say after that I had so much adrenaline that I was not able to get to sleep..

Also, be sure to check with your states wage deductions and wage payment laws.. it is different for each state.. most allow for an employer to make reasonable deductions for property and such.. but they have rules and limits... also, you are not allowed to withhold an employees final check...

jimbo47, swaggerjacker and x1Heavy Thank this.
  4. Bean Jr.

Bean Jr. Road Train Member

Mar 30, 2014
    I worked for one company that had a couple hundred trucks, all keyed the same.

5. buddyd157

buddyd157 Road Train Member

May 25, 2017
    under a shade tree
    since i do not know the labor laws in your state, i am somewhat familiar with some of them in mine. by law, any employee fired, MUST BE PAID in full within 24 hours. if not, the employer can be sued.

find out your state labor laws regarding discharging employees, you do not want to be in violation.

if you need a sheriff, so be it.

the fuel card can be cancelled or put on hold. the keys, frankly i do not know if you can deduct from his paycheck.

this is a gray area. best you find out all this information prior to your next firing.

till then, pay him in full, just make it a point to return your stuff.

6. aussiejosh

aussiejosh Road Train Member

Aug 28, 2009
    Airlie Beach QLd
    It would be nice to hear both sides of the story so far we've only heard yours well haven't really heard yours either really just that he won't return keys it that's all he's done i'd just get a locksmith to fit the truck with a new set of keys after all you can write these losses off on your tax return.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.