Ex felons working

Discussion in 'Questions From New Drivers' started by Unclehams, Feb 8, 2010.

1. striker

striker Road Train Member

Aug 8, 2009
    Denver, Co
    Also, one thing to keep in mind, as has been pointed out, at present there is an abnormal amount of available drivers, and as such, if you have marks against you, they may put you at the bottom of the pile in favor of someone else.

I just looked at the list of companies someone listed they had applied to. Only 5 of those companies list they won't hire someone with a felony. If you haven't heard from them, they may not be hiring, they may not be hiring students, or it is possible they are intentionally overlooking you because of your background. Regardless, after submitting the application, followup with them in a few days.

If they tell you then that it is because of the felony, ask where on their website or company info that they don't hire for this reason. Then ask for specifics as to why they won't hire for this reason. You can also politely ask them if they don't believe in giving people a second chance.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Enigma78

Enigma78 Bobtail Member

Aug 18, 2010
    Huntsville, AL.
    I wish I had know all of this b4 I got my CDLs. Don't get me wrong, I still would have gotten my Ls, just in a different way. It would have been easier 4 me 2 go through a school that is link 2 a company rather than 1 that is not. Now, I have used up my W.I.A. grant (u can only get it once) and am left high and dry. A company stated that they would hire me if I went through their school, but I would have to pay $500 out of pocket and the rest would come out of my checks once hired on. I aint got $500 just lay'n around. Was told that the schoo I went 2 at 1st was not an acredited school and if I attended 1 that was I would be eligable. Iowa Central is where I've been directed. Its a 9wk (600 total hours) course, that is suppose 2 get me some drive and log book time b4 I graduate. The catch is that I would have to get a Stafford loan $4750 on top of the Pell Grant $1859. I don't know what I should do. Any help in this area would B gravy.

4. Unclehams

Unclehams Light Load Member

Feb 7, 2010

I guess he missed the part where I repeatedly stated they were oakley sunglasses retailed at around 200 bucks a pair... anything over 700 or 750$ dollar amount is a felony in oregon.

I'm being lumped in the same as a sex offender trying to get a job at a daycare center.

Bottom line for all people with felonies on their records. Get a job at a ####y trucking company like I did, work for 3-6 months all the while applying to better companies.

Also nice to see at least one thread I started stay alive, sad it couldent be about a less harrowing subject

5. Unclehams

Unclehams Light Load Member

Feb 7, 2010

I would not take out college loans, the employment departments should have training $ for programs like trucking school. Why take a loan ya gotta pay back when you can make the tax payers pay for it, besides most of them tax payers would like to see people like us just sit in prison and not find a good paying job.

So I said F them, took the free money for trucking school. My first year will suck but if I can get past the first year I will be much beter off.

6. countrycuz

countrycuz Light Load Member

Apr 5, 2009
    columbia sc
    Dat Trucking in West Columbia will give a felon a break.
    they dont care what the felony is as much as what you have done with your life after the felony. thats the way all companies should look at you.

7. Enigma78

Enigma78 Bobtail Member

Aug 18, 2010
    Huntsville, AL.
    You have a link 2 their web site? Brotha, all I wanna do is drive. I don't really care about how much I make. I love being a driver. I drive my friend to Ohio from Alabama twice a month, just to get behind the wheel. I am in love with the smell of diesel in the morning. This is a job that I would do without pay, so long as they let me drive. I just wanna get my foot in the door, and I am sure once they truly see me doing what I love they would be glad to have me.

@Unclehams.... I already used the W.I.A. grant, if you know something I don't, hook a brotha up. I love free money too.

8. mjfreespirit

mjfreespirit Light Load Member

Dec 4, 2012
    Florida
    You have got to call Carolina Cargo, and try to talk to a recruiter, After you fill out the application, get online, or get on a bus to Charlotte and get your butt to Rock Hill, SC. Being there and persistent will get you a job with them.

9. HotH2o

HotH2o Road Train Member

Sep 23, 2012
    Bunyan Springs, Colorado
    Lucky! I was only issued one CDL! I been thinking about changing states so I can get my CDLs. Any advice?

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.