Ex felons working

Discussion in 'Questions From New Drivers' started by Unclehams, Feb 8, 2010.

1. Lee Epling

Lee Epling Bobtail Member

Jul 8, 2010
    Charlotte NC
    Give me the names to some companies, hell the one you work for, or the one that gave you the job. I just need to work no one will touch me with all of this crap. I have paid for the CDL, and now it seems like a waste of time.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Big Don

Big Don "Old Fart"

Sep 8, 2007
    Utah's DIXIE!
    Well, you can start by looking at local companies, particularly aggregate companies. (That is sand, gravel and asphalt.) If you can get on with one of these and maintain a good driving and work record for a year or two it might make it easier for you.

Don't just make phone calls or send resumes, get out there and make personal contact. You local phone book is a good place to start for looking for the names and locations of these companies.

Remember that finding a job, is in itself a full time job. I know it is tough right now, but you have to think like a salesman, and the product you are selling, is yourself. Sure you are going to be rejected at a lot of places. Probably for reasons that have nothing to do with YOU. Just the times we are living in. Don't get discouraged, get out there and make those contacts.

Good Luck!

4. Lee Epling

Jul 8, 2010
    Charlotte NC
    I appreciate the advice, don;t know of too many companies like that in NC, except in the upper parts of the state. All companies I have tried for have said atleast 1 year experience. I have some irons in the fire, I had one of the things taken off my history. " Driving Under Suspension", I was charged but never convicted. Had to go through a lot to do it, but it is done. I have 3 more things to go. Since I had the DUS on my history I had to have SR-22 insurance, and since they have now up held the DUS innocent charge and removed the insurance. Now they need to remove the history of the SR-22 insurance. Since the only reason why I was on it in the first place was due to a guilty verdict on the DUS. Once that is done, I need them to take the Failure to pay tickets off, since I have proof of litigation, ( I was fighting the charges in court) and it is not my fault it took a year and a half for them to get me in a trial. If I can get that stuff done, my 3 year history will show 1 ticket for speeding in 2009, the rest will be over 4 to 5 years old. There is only 2 points on my lisence, and I have been told if this is done then USA Truck will take me. I will have to keep fighting, and waiting. I just want to go now I have been in this for a month, and got the training now it is just getting there. I have always wanted to drive for a living. Nothing like doing it and getting paid for it. If you know of an OTR O/O that would be willing to speak with me, and has a small enough company that would hire me let me know. LEE

5. countrycuz

countrycuz Light Load Member

Apr 5, 2009
    columbia sc
    I just got my letter from TSA today saying I can go tell the DMV to put my Hazmat on my cdl. There are really only a few permanently disqualifying offenses.
    Other than that its a five year since getting out rule that keeps many felons from getting their hazmat till the time has passed.

6. Unclehams

Unclehams Light Load Member

Feb 7, 2010
    I already know to just skip applying with companies that don't hire people with felonies. Otherwise the only other bad thing is I got my licence back in 2007 november. I had it before but it was suspended for not paying traffic tickets. I only got it back in nov of 2007.

7. Mack attack

Mack attack Light Load Member

Dec 31, 2009
    Baltimore,Md
    You can try Gunthers in Hanover,MD,the owner has a felony,so he hires them

8. Rollover the Original

Rollover the Original Road Train Member

Jul 1, 2009
    Springfield,MO
    OK I used to put this on here but I was told that TTR has a job search thread. Go check it out and if that doesn't help try this link below. It's a site with a lot of companies on it. Just fill out the "application" then go to "other options" in the job search function and you'll see a radio button for "felonies" click it and all the other buttons that apply to you. You should get a couple of hits and all you have to do is hit the apply button for each company you see that strikes your fancy. Your pre application is now on the way and you should get a reply by that evening. I would cut and paste the companies to a word doc so you have a list and you can follow up with emails and phone calls. Don't forget that calling them shows you are interested in them and a job. 2 calls a week is the minimum you should do a week.
    Also look them up using a search engine (Google and others) do a search here using the search function up there on that menu bar! and good luck searching and in that new job you will find. Also go here and learn what questions you should be asking when you do the PHONE interview!

This actually happens!
    http://www.thetruckersreport.com/tr...estions-different-kinds-drivers-will-ask.html

These are what you should be asking! Make your own list and put it in a word document form so you can print it out and write their answers.
    The last time I asked these questions I told the recruiter that to save both of us time and them money in case we weren't a good match I'm going to interview YOU before you ask yours! Someone even posted that if they were a recruiter and someone started asking all these "stupid" questions they would hang up on me! That would tell me that THAT is one company you wouldn't see me turning a key for!

http://www.thetruckersreport.com/tr...evaluating-a-motor-carrier-the-interview.html

This is the job locator link! It has a ton of companies!

/www.everytruckjob.com/login.html

Good luck!
    Rollover

9. Lee Epling

Jul 8, 2010
    Charlotte NC
    Well here is the story with me, According to my Diving record for SC, I have 4 suspensions for failure to pay, and the are saying that I have not had a license since 2008. Not true, they are also posting a 6 month suspension from may of 06 to Oct 06, which is true. Something is not right, and I am looking into it, the only way I found all of this out is from switching my license from SC to NC. I had a Driving Under Suspension conviction from November of 07, I was found innocent. Got that taken care of. They said back then to go to the DMV, and re-take the driving test to qualify for the SR-22 insurance. Now since I have gotten the DUS off, I never needed the Insurance. What my driving record says on it is this.

Failure to pay- SUS 05
    Failure to pay - SUS 06
    Failure to pay- SUS 06
    Failure to pay- SUS 06

Suspension- MAY 06- OCT 06

Speeding- 2 points April 09

All I have is 2 points on my License from 09

That is it

The rest of this stuff is over 4 years old, no one will touch me, any ideas?

Will take anything that will let me drive, A B C anything do not want to have to take refresher

Failure to pays will be coming off soon,

It will look Like this after next week,

Ticket speeding 09
    Points suspension 06
    speeding 06
    speeding 06
    speeding 05
    improper passing 06

Accident 06 at fault 600 property damage
    Accident 03 Not at fault
    Accident 01 Not at fault

All of this is 4 years or better, and insurance companies go by 3 years, so where is the problem?

All in personal vehicle, and all points I have on my license is 2 for a bogus speeding ticket in Rock Hill SC, late one night. in April of 09

10. kickin chicken

kickin chicken Road Train Member

Jan 4, 2009
    SC

Trucking companies are not concerned with the amount of points that you have had deducted, but with the charge of the offense.

I am confused as to how your MVR will show the additional speeding tickets next week? They would be on your report as of now.

If you would list the offense as well as the charge we could better help you (how many miles over the posted speed limit?).

Also, what were the suspensions for? Failure to pay the speeding tickets?

11. brucetib

brucetib Bobtail Member

Jul 13, 2010
    grand junction, co
    hey brother i know just what ur sayin. check this out, i've had my c.d.l. for six years, i am a cert. crane operator and have been for six years and also did heavy haul for same co. my co. went out of business and crane jobs are few and far between, so i figured i would try and find a job driving, not. i too have felony charges that are 13 years old and even with my experience i can't find anybody that is willing too hire me. just keep trying. oboma is gonna put us all back to work, yea right.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.