Ex felons working

Discussion in 'Questions From New Drivers' started by Unclehams, Feb 8, 2010.

1. Rollover the Original

Rollover the Original Road Train Member

Jul 1, 2009
    Springfield,MO
    Go back to post 47 and click om the link and do as I said do. There are a few companies who might take you.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. mlrs270

mlrs270 Light Load Member

May 15, 2008
    winston salem nc
    would a false bomb threat prevent me from getting my hazmat endorsement. the charge is only a misdemeanor from oct 1995

4. Lee Epling

Lee Epling Bobtail Member

Jul 8, 2010
    Charlotte NC
    Got an interview with a Logging company out of Charlotte Monday, Superintendent said he would consider giving me a shot. I am supposed to meet him around noon tomorrow and take a ride in the Rig, he hauls pulp wood, for some paper mill down in Fort Mill SC. Pay is not that great, but it is a start. I can handle low pay for a few months. Besides from what I can see as soon as you get 6 months somewhere many doors open. This is just a load of crap to have to wade through. Tired of trucking industry and have not even started yet. I will let you guys know how it goes. talk tomorrow.

5. thelastamericanhippy

thelastamericanhippy Road Train Member

Jul 10, 2010
    jacksonville, fl
    Student, getting into hauling wood !!!

Be careful, if it's chips, no real biggy, but if it's logs==be careful !!!!!!

6. Lee Epling

Jul 8, 2010
    Charlotte NC
    Well I have done it before, had an Uncle that owns a tree company down in Estill SC. He sells pine to papermills, and sells hadwood like black walnut, and red oak to furniture companies. It looks like on paper I have absolutely no idea what I am doing in a truck. But I grew up down in the country, and you either have a gun and a badge, or a hardhat and a hammer. I have been driving class B and class A's from the time I was 19. I learned on a farm moving tree's and cotton. I swear to any truck driver that is an O/O. 5 minutes behind the wheel, you will see if I am full of it or not. I just decided to take a chance at some real money and was doing Iron work. I would not waste $4500.00 if I did not know I could do this for a living. That would just be ludacris. I just did not understand how strict these companies are. To tell you the truth it is down right discrimination. Unless truck driver's stand up as a united front. It is just going to get worse, and worse. Before you know it, you will need a college degree to operate a rig. Probably in Mechanical engineering. I tell you when I do find a company. I will probably retire for them. Tired of being told no. To anyone else out there that is thinking of doing this for a living, don't there are to many unknowns.

7. countrycuz

countrycuz Light Load Member

Apr 5, 2009
    columbia sc
    you said that Carolina Cargo gave you the OK.
    You can drive a log truck for ten years and it wont mean a #### thing to getting an otr job. it wont count. You need OTR experience because you have no ideal what OTR is like.
    After one year only 15 percent of the drivers are still driving over the road.
    All of us old timers can tell you that mastering OTR is not for everyone.
    why you gave up making all that money in steel is beyond me because you chose one job away from home for another job being away from home.

8. thelastamericanhippy

thelastamericanhippy Road Train Member

Jul 10, 2010
    jacksonville, fl
    8 years is an old timer ???????????

9. Lee Epling

Jul 8, 2010
    Charlotte NC
    Well Countrycuz, here is the deal. working for the Iron Workers Union is probably the best job a man could ask for. Great benifits, great pay (about 9.00 an hour above average) but when the work is gone, and the economy is down. Your chances of working go from slim to nil. So I did what I thought was a great Idea. I had talked to some of the guys I worked with when the layoff came, and they all said they were driving a truck. I figured since I have driven before, and although you may not count it I do. I figured it would be no problem. I called about 5 of the big name companies, and gave my information. The recruiter's at the companies told me and I quote " your history is not that great, but I have seen worse come through here and get hired". They tried to talk me into one of there schools. I asked around and found out that is just legal slavery. So I went into the retirement fund. When I graduated, those same companies told me no. So I have been on the search ever since. You ask about Carolina Cargo, I think I said that running for 10 cpm, is just about as close to extortion as you can get. I will keep them in mind, but they are plan Z. I have this company that hauls timber and have an interview on Monday. I talked to the safety man at Gunther, and he is reviewing my stuff now. I will go wherever the money is best. As long as I am home for a couple of days every 3 weeks, and my paycheck is on time. No complaints. I just need the job, if you have an OTR company that is not wanting people that are spottless, then send me info, and I will try em. I have to go wherever anyone will take me, or the license will be useless in about 60 days. So if you were in my shoes, what would you do?

10. Dan the DOT Man

Dan the DOT Man Bobtail Member

Jul 18, 2010
    TX
    There's no such thing as being an ex-felon. That's sorta like being an ex-queer. If some guy told you that he used to be gay but he's not anymore, what would you think about him? See what I mean? Either you've done the dirty deal, or you haven't.

11. Baack

Baack Road Train Member

May 24, 2007
    Wisconsin
    Your wrong
    A felony is just a different level of a mistake
    Humans make mistakes
    Mistakes can be fixed and the person making the mistake can change
    Comments like this are the exact reason cops are looked down on
    The arrogance carried by many of our protectors have turned them from leaders in the community to dictators of the law
    You have decided to be judge, jury and executioner all in one:biggrin_25513:
    Sad!!!!!
    I think you posting this in a thread about ex-felons looking for work is in very poor taste:biggrin_25516:

southernpride Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.