Excessive Overspeed?

Discussion in 'Schneider' started by AM14, Aug 29, 2018.

1. AM14

AM14 Road Train Member

Oct 6, 2015
    Jefferson Twp. NJ
    So I doubt that Schneider did away with the overspeed metrics but did question it when I had 3 company trucks pass me on downgrades so far this week. I cruise at 70 and don't really push it further than 75 on the downhill as that's the top end of my safe comfort zone. Usually less for both depending on how nasty of a product I have on me.

The first guy had to be pushing 85 because he straight up blew by me and naturally F'd up the traffic flow for miles and miles racing downhill then falling on his face on the flats. so bad that I wound up taking an early 30. He also bypassed a Rest Area truck inspection (no prepass) so I figured he was just a dumb ###. The other two weren't as fast but they were probably in the mid to high 70's. I wasn't racing them or anything, I back down to keep away from slow passers and downhill racers.

So what's the deal? just morons or did they raise the speed. IIRC, it was 70 or 71 when I started there and then it went down to 68 once they bumped the trucks up.

dog-c Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. x1Heavy

x1Heavy Road Train Member

Mar 5, 2016
    White County, Arkansas
    If you got a big enough hill with a straight run out you can put her into neutral and allow gravity to float you to about 140 or so given a long enough 5% as we did a few times. ZOOM. 140 is where the gravity's pull quits and stabilizes for the rest of the way down.

Some companies in the past would fire instantly if they caught me at 70 or beyond no ifs buts or maybes. So when you put away Fancy Gap at 68 riding the brakes most of the way down... they wonder what you are doing to them.

Even near the end of my time OTR they were beginning to monitor braking. If someone was setting up a insurance scam and you tossed out a anchor and then forced the truck across half the interstate and most of the shoulder to get around not to hit the idiot I hope you have a dash cam to at least protect your job showing him the aggressor.

AM14 and Oldironfan Thank this.
  4. bryan21384

bryan21384 Road Train Member

Sep 18, 2009
    Memphis, TN
    Speed monitoring or not, speed kills. Especially going down a grade

RSB34, x1Heavy and AM14 Thank this.
  5. Oldironfan

Oldironfan Road Train Member

May 22, 2017
    140mph. I need to try that. Only been 106 downhill racing.

6. gentleroger

gentleroger Road Train Member

Jun 1, 2010
    Since they turned the trucks up, normal overspeed doesn't really exist, so the dbl's don't focus on it as much . Those little bits going down hill barely will gwt the overspeed to 1-2%, not enough to pop on anyone's screen.

The second reason is the amts - guys don't understand how to use the engine brake/cruise/manual mode so they only put the engine brake on low so it doesn't downshift them and away they go.

Finally, its piss poor training. If you have a pulse, we pass you. Itsbgotten that bax.

stwik, 91B20H8, AM14 and 2 others Thank this.
  7. AM14

AM14 Road Train Member

Oct 6, 2015
    Jefferson Twp. NJ
    Man, I have zero interest in going even close that fast.

I had one follow me up to a 12'3" RR bridge just today past at least 4 low clearance and no truck turnaround signs. I tried getting him on the radio, flashed my running lights, all that but I lost him after a one lane construction zone. Sure hope he figured it out before the crunch.

8. gentleroger

gentleroger Road Train Member

Jun 1, 2010
    I virtually guarantee he didn't.

I had my first heavily loaded (79.99999999999999 k) trip through New river Gorge today. I was surprised how fast the amt picks up speed going downhill. I had to work a lot harder with it than with a manual transmission .

9. AM14

AM14 Road Train Member

Oct 6, 2015
    Jefferson Twp. NJ
    Yup. My first run after Schneider pushed me into an AMT was a roll load out 68, Big Savage, Negro Mtn. and the likes. It didn't take me long to figure out how quick that thing wanted to get away from me.

gentleroger Thanks this.
  10. dog-c

dog-c Road Train Member

May 30, 2011
    New York, NY
    70 is all for me.

11. shatteredsquare

shatteredsquare Road Train Member

May 23, 2014
    middle dirt
    i started putting it in N for downhills, nobody can catch me, i get halfway up the next hill without touching the throttle, great for MPGs too

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.