Exp. Driver Info Needed

Discussion in 'Shaffer' started by JACC0811, Jan 27, 2014.

1. JACC0811

JACC0811 Light Load Member

Jun 12, 2010
    Dayton, OH
    I was wondering if anyone has some current info on the hiring process for experienced drivers. Also, I know it's a case by case basis, but I'm wondering if my 1+ year would count since 6 months of it have been with a short haul/local company where I currently work and only operate in OH and IN, but the other 6+ were OTR.

As far as the hiring process, as an exp. driver if hired, after orientation would I be going out on my own or would I have to go with a trainer? If I did have to go with a trainer, for how long? Also, since the TN terminal is the closest and there is on in Columbus, OH near me, do you think it would be possible to drive my car down and, if hired, come back to OH to get my truck? I ask this because if something were to happen with medical or paperwork, I would rather foot the bill for a tank of gas in my own car to get home instead of a rental and fuel or a Greyhound ticket.

I know someone will suggest talking to a recruiter and ask them, but I want to get any info I can from Shaffer/Crete drivers first before calling.

Thanks!

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Powder Joints

Powder Joints Subjective Prognosticator

Sep 25, 2007
    Rosamond, SoCal
    I would just say 1 year otr and leave it at that.

4. bubbanbrenda

bubbanbrenda Road Train Member

Feb 27, 2011
    Middletown,Oh.
    I agree with Powder Joints just say a year and leave it alone. I'm sorry but I have to ask, and if it's none of my business just say so, I can take it. But with all the driving jobs in Dayton why would you go all the way to Columbus? I mean I get it if you have your mind set on Shaffer, but there are several good companies that will look at you with a year, right there in Dayton.

5. JACC0811

JACC0811 Light Load Member

Jun 12, 2010
    Dayton, OH
    I have looked, but none of them really interested me and most never got back to me to answer my questions.

BTW, I ended up talking to recruiting yesterday morning and got my questions answered. And all of my experience counts.

6. RookieJ1987

RookieJ1987 Medium Load Member

Apr 27, 2013
    Fort Worth, TX

Wow! I'm shocked that I finally see somebody having the same issues I'm going thru right now. I got 1+years of EXP and I've been flooding apps to a lot of local companies here NE S.Carolina and it seems that no one is interested in me. My DAC is not bad at all although I have stuff on there like citations and stuff like that before i became a CDL Driver but that's it. Other than that I kept my nose clean for the last 16 Mos.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.