Exp Driver/recent left leg amputee needs automatic company!

Discussion in 'Seek Employment' started by sorefoot315, Feb 12, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. sorefoot315

sorefoot315 Bobtail Member

Sep 20, 2007
    My truck
    Well I have tried all the companies everyone has mentioned and no one is hiring in my area and or the driver has to unload freight :( I've come to the conclusion that I'm gonna have to get my own truck. I've applied to Landstar and waiting to hear back. All I need to do is have 10k down on a used truck. I found a good mechanic/shop that said they would put the truck thru it's paces and check for everything. Even dyno it and take samples while it's on the dyno under a "load" to see if there are any issues while "working". I'm ok with this decision b/c I feel I had exhusted all other possibilities.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. WickedTrucker

WickedTrucker Bobtail Member

Apr 27, 2009
    Milwaukee,WI
    John Veriha out of Marinette, WI has some autos have vans and flatbeds depending on your capabilities. Good Luck to you friend wish I had the name of the company I saw another guy with an amputated arm working his left are was amputated and he was hauling a refer unit up in Marinette.

4. PharmPhail

PharmPhail Road Train Member

Nov 7, 2008
    NC
    If you're a first time buyer, I'm assuming that 10k is 25% down on a 40k truck. Just so you know I got a 40k truck asking price for 25k. Do yourself a favor and play hard to get. Dealers are dying to unload trucks. That would also bring your down payment to around 6k. Good luck!

5. pawnature

pawnature Bobtail Member

May 27, 2009
    Louisa, KY
    New Century is based out of NJ and they have autos in their fleet I don't know if all are autos. You will not find better pay either.

6. countrycuz

countrycuz Light Load Member

Apr 5, 2009
    columbia sc
    big G also has autos and they are out of Tenn

7. RR9501

RR9501 Light Load Member

Sep 20, 2008
    Chesapeake, VA
    well i have a friend who;s an O/O and he's been running mostly pete 379s all of his career, he has a FL columbia now and he hates it wiht a passion..lol..he wants anotheer 379 again...he also has an old 359 he's restoring. he can get into anything...he has even had cabovers and not ever had a problem or fallen...ya just have to get used to whatever ya gonna drive...it takes time but eventually u can climb into anything...

8. BillBKAmputee

BillBKAmputee Bobtail Member

Jul 7, 2009
    Dothan, Alabama
    I'm not a truck driver, but I am an amputee. I found your post while searching on google and saw a fellow amputee in need of assistance. Heres some advice. Don't find a rig for the amputation. Get a prosthetic thats suited for the rigs. If you haven't found a good prosthetist yet thats the first thing you need to look for. My personal prosthetist is Teri at (please google Alababa Prosthetics and Orthotics). That may be too far for ya, but shes part of a network of highly trained/certified advanced prosthetists so she can probably give ya some names of good ones near you. Once you find a good one they'll make a custom piece of engineering that will fill the need for what your life demands not make your life fit the demands of the amputation. Don't give up friend. I drive a manual shift to work every day because I like too and my amputation wasn't going to stop me from doing it. (one last tip as far as driving goes once you've found a prosthetist have him/her talk with Teri about the shoeless prosthetic design aka silver leg/terminator foot:biggrin_25519: that should jog her memory. I think you'll find that to be helpful for your situation. It's a custom design I had developed by Teri specifically for driving). Hope that all helpes ya.

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 7, 2009
    firecaptain1204 Thanks this.
  9. meworrynot

meworrynot Bobtail Member

Jan 18, 2011
    Portland, TX
    sorefoot, I know this is an older post, but how does one go about getting an SPE for a bk(right) amputation, I want to drive again badly.

Pete in Texas

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

• Thread Status:
    Not open for further replies.