Expedited trucker life

Discussion in 'Expediter and Hot Shot Trucking Forum' started by Baack, Oct 9, 2008.

1. Baack

Baack Road Train Member

May 24, 2007
    Wisconsin
    Most expedite carriers use the following descripters:

A = Pickup truck or mini van capable of 500 pounds
    B= Cargo Van/Sprinter capable of 2500 Pounds
    C = Small dock high Straight truck capable of 5000 pounds
    D = Large straight truck capable of 13,000 pounds
    E = Tractor/trailer
    An R suffix = reefer; CR, DR, ER would be refrigerated trucks
    A C suffix would be a Canadian truck leased to a USA carrier

roadtime549 Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. fredfred

fredfred Bobtail Member

Dec 15, 2007
    Sunset, LA
    Hey Coonass,

Who do you drive for? Sounds like you're oil field trash?

4. trips74

trips74 Medium Load Member

Nov 7, 2007
    chicagoland, il
    I've thought and looked into this expediting but owning or leasing a truck in todays economy is such a risky business adventure so I ask how is the business these days if I were to do it I would get the bigger tractor with a 24foot trailer I think.

5. gandrew

gandrew Bobtail Member

Mar 30, 2009
    bumpus mills, tn
    Not sure how old your post is, but as of June/July 09, expediting is slooow. And what freight there is pays about the same as when we started in 2004 and fuel was 1.99. Military loads have almost no fuel surcharge now, since their baseline is 2.50/gallon. It's common for us to have one load a week. Once in a while two. Our last coast to coast was early May. If you get a load out to the West, expect to wait, deadhead or be offered a load that just about pays for fuel cost to come back east. I applied for social security last week so those checks will help us get though winter.

Baack and mizz_b_havin Thank this.
  6. Paddington

Paddington Medium Load Member

Jul 5, 2009
    Cleveland, Ohio
    I was thinking about doing this down the road when I retire.
    Sell my house, buy a truck for cash with all the bells and whistles and cool gear, and basically live out of it and travel around the country.

I drove 5 years at RPS/FedEx Ground as a package car route driver.
    Wanted something different so I sold my truck and route, got my CDL and ran 3 years OTR.
    For the past 3 years, I've been doing LTL as a city driver for FedEx Freight plus I've been driving for a mail contractor on the weekends.

So I've got experience owning a truck, driving over-the-road, plus doing LTL.
    Figure when I hang up my spurs for good in 25 years or so, maybe lease-on to FedEx Custom Critical.
    Which would be my 3rd go-around with FedEx.

Has anyone done this? Retired and bought a truck to expedite? Seems like the extended downtimes would be a good time to do some travelling and sightseeing. Those trucks are much shorter than bigrigs so you can park them in alot of different places. Always hated cruising into a truckstop late at night and seeing that empty spot...only to find an expeditor truck parked back there. :biggrin_25525:

7. statikuz

statikuz Medium Load Member

Jun 22, 2009
    Reno Nevada
    I found some sharp photos of FECC trucks - they're not mine and I spaced where I stole them from but to whoever took them - thanks! :)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

teddy_bear6506 and The Challenger Thank this.
  8. lil may

lil may Road Train Member

May 25, 2009
    I do expediting it is alot of fun

9. Paddington

Paddington Medium Load Member

Jul 5, 2009
    Cleveland, Ohio
    What do you enjoy most about it?

10. Trucker.d

Trucker.d Bobtail Member

Jul 19, 2008
    Alpharetta, Ga
    I have been looking into trying expedited, Looks like Panter will hire with no experience And It been Krap to find a job. I have no clue what it is all about. All I know everything is rushed.
    We will see.

11. lil may

lil may Road Train Member

May 25, 2009
    I enjoy not having to be forced to take a load get to see lots of new places. it is not run like OTR companies

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.