Expediting ????

Discussion in 'Expediter and Hot Shot Trucking Forum' started by conmar, Dec 17, 2007.

1. conmar

conmar Bobtail Member

Nov 6, 2007
    up there
    I'm currently a Student.' More interested in the expediting side of trucking.
    I like the straight trucks. Seem to be having a hard time finding out much informatation on any thing. Is it all o/o trucks? Whats the chance a single woman recently divorced can purchase a truck.?? At the moment not really interested in going in debt. Are there grants out there maybe?Another reason for liking this side of the business is them big 53 footers scare me. Having a terrible time learning to back one.
    I have drove the 26 footers before,for my size there are much easier for me to handle. 90Lbs. Almost 5ft.
    Will be interested in going otr. No reason to be home.
    Any infor. Will be wonderful

Thanks Con

taz'smom Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. wallbanger

wallbanger "Enemy of showers everywhere"

Most expediting companies are predonimantly O/O, but with them you can usually start out as a subcontractor. This means you are an employee of an O/O, and will operate one of his/her trucks. If you go this route, be ready: you will most likely not be able to get medical insurance coverage, or if you can, it will cost a whole lot. And, you will also be 1099'd, meaning that you will have to save for your own taxes out of YOUR check.

Otherwise, your best bet is to call some of the expeditor companies and see what kind of requirements they have for experience; some may be able to hire you right out of driving school. Or, you may have to do 1-2 years OTR, and then you can move into the spot you really want (and hopefully but your rig specced the way you want).

Some names to google: Panther II,FedEx custom critical. Fedex's website sucks, but you may be able to find something out there.

Good luck!

4. BubbaTrucker

BubbaTrucker "Iam Hanging in there"

Nov 12, 2007
    Pennsylvania
    i have to give it to you CON, you know when to say when.. you say the 53 footers scare you and i have to give hats off to you for knowing that and not trying to do it anyway.. i am not being sarcastic at all, i am just saying it is great that someone knows to say when and be honest with not only yourself but others so you dont put anyone in danger on the road...

5. Baack

Baack Road Train Member

May 24, 2007
    Wisconsin
    This months expedite now magazine is about woman expediters
    Good reading
    Just do a google search and subscribe. No on line magazine, they send you a paper copy
    Good luck

prisonerofthehwy Thanks this.
  6. yendor_65

yendor_65 Light Load Member

Sep 17, 2009
    Grand Blanc, Michigan
    I have driven 53 footers for Werner and Prime. I prefer what I am doing now as those CO's SUCK lol. I drive a stright truck for Express-1 now and am having a good time and making ok cash as well.

teddy_bear6506 Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.