Experience?? Why do some things not count???

Discussion in 'Questions From New Drivers' started by Hank74, Jan 18, 2011.

1. Hank74

Hank74 Bobtail Member

Nov 29, 2010
    Elizabeth, IL
    I've got my CDL several months ago, and have a slight dilemma. I cannot understand why that my being on the local fire department and ambulance system, being a driver for both, does this not count as some type of experience??? I'm sure there are some of you out there, who have been in this a while, will say that its just driving a big 4 wheeler, and it shouldn't count for anything. Understand this though. I live in a rural area, and there are not fire hydrants every 300 feet, so we have to take the water to the fire. This means driving a tanker truck, hauling 2,000 to 3,000 gallons of water, usually at high speeds, and all the while having to maintain control of the vehicle and look out for every moron that's out for a sunday drive who doesn't respond to the lights and sirens of a large truck coming up his you know what. And the same type of thing goes for driving an ambulance, not only do you have a patient that you are transporting for anything from a severe hang nail, to a heart attack or stroke. You have to get the patient to the hospital (where i'm at the nearest hospital is 20 miles away), maintain the safety of your patient, and your crew. Is this magical 2 years OTR experience that most empoyers are looking for just to say that you know how to handle a tractor trailer? I have gotten the gist that most of this is because of insurance reasons. I know I've rambled on a bit here, but if anyone could give me some insight it would be appreciated.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. rocknroll nik

rocknroll nik High Risk Load Member

Oct 18, 2008
    can't read the sign
  4. Hank74

Hank74 Bobtail Member

Nov 29, 2010
    Elizabeth, IL
    But these are the same insurance companies that insure me to drive a $300,000 + fire engine at what is considered high risk to start with...

5. rocknroll nik

rocknroll nik High Risk Load Member

Oct 18, 2008
    can't read the sign
    I agree Hank....but unfortunately these #### trucking outfits and the insurance companies got us all by the short ones..... I've been on the road for a bit now...good driving record and all.......got hurt in June and if I don't get back in the seat soon I will have to go thru TRAINING again myself.....

6. Zuma

Zuma Light Load Member

Dec 26, 2010
    Well, a CDL is a Commercial Drivers License, required for driving a Commercial Motor Vehicle, and there are specific requirements that have to be met by the driver to obtain the license and drive the vehicle. In my state, drivers of emergency vehicles are exempt from the CDL and CMV requirements.

So if I'm a carrier or insurance company, and I want to see Commercial experience, operation of a non-commercial vehicle just ain't the same thing.

I drive a couple of big straight trucks that I use at my ranch. I'm exempt from just about everything a CMV driver has to do; I can just get in my trucks and go. When I get my CDL, I sure don't expect any company to accept my years of driving my farm trucks as "experience" for their jobs. Sure would be sweet though...

7. Zuma

Zuma Light Load Member

Dec 26, 2010
    Different risk pools; that's how the insurance industry operates.

8. Allow Me.

Allow Me. Trucker Forum STAFF Staff Member

May 28, 2009
    Rancho Mirage, Ca.
    Yeah, driving a 6 wheel engine or ambulance maybe 30 miles a day really doesn't count for anything. You don't log, you don't bump a dock, you don't fuel, you don't do paperwork, you don't pre-trip, you have lots of breaks inbetween calls, pretty gravy job, really. Plus, you have big time back-up in case of problems, right?

9. Hank74

Hank74 Bobtail Member

Nov 29, 2010
    Elizabeth, IL
    I understand the CMV requirements are somewhat exempt to drive emergency vehicles, but, in my state, you are required to carry the license for the size of the truck you will be driving. My case I have to carry a Class B. If I were to get into an accident, or have a violation while driving one of these vehicles, the penalties would be the same as what they would be for you. Most people think that we are exempt from traffic laws when we have the lights and sirens on, which is false, we have to follow a whole different set of regulations. I wish that driving farm trucks was applicable for experience, my first experience pulling a trailer was at age 15, hauling big round bales on a 35' flatbed gooseneck. Would have been great if it was just going down the road, but this was pulling out of a field, through a pasture, through another field, then to the road to get back to the farm. Want to talk on the job training??? LOL

10. Zuma

Zuma Light Load Member

Dec 26, 2010
    One of my trucks is a 2000 gallon water truck. Not just an old flat bed with a tank on it...Ford L9000, fully equipped with a suction pump, air-operated PTO and sprayers, hose reel; it's a commercial grade vehicle. I use it for dirt work, landscaping, weed control, grading.

So I have a big truck that hauls water, and has sprayers and a hose on it. If I want to join your fire department, will they accept that as experience, and let me drive and operate your pumpers?

11. CondoCruiser

CondoCruiser The Legend

Apr 18, 2010
    Tennessee
    Some of the requirements is because many can't handle living on the road and all the baggage that comes with it.
    The companies want to know if you have what it takes to stay out on the road, deal with irrate customers, don't damage freight, etc.
    Last I heard it cost around $4000 to hire a driver and put them in a truck. It would be a high risk to hire someone that gets homesick and quits right away.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.