Experienced driver going O/O

Discussion in 'Ask An Owner Operator' started by Gumper, Jan 7, 2018.

1. StrokerTSi

StrokerTSi Medium Load Member

Aug 28, 2016
    Insurance cost me 5k up front. Don't forget about that.

Justrucking2 Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Ridgeline

Ridgeline Road Train Member

Dec 18, 2011
    Michigan
    This is a great idea but there is a problem, unless the entire setup is done by a lawyer who knows what they are doing, the IRS may say no to the plan. A lot of people have gotten screwed by this plan, the key is to have someone advising you the right way to do it.

4. Justrucking2

Justrucking2 Road Train Member

Sep 12, 2017
    Plymouth MI
    I would figure $50,000 to start, if you can find a good older truck with a fresh in frame and good rubber. You will not use it all, or you might. You still have to buy fuel and have a reserve for the day to day BS we all were hit with when first starting out.

5. easytopleez33

easytopleez33 Light Load Member

Jan 6, 2015
    Good paying freight is hard to find coming out of Montana, its a well established fact.
    Now factor in the fact you have a new MC#. Darn near impossible.
    So you better have some Rainy Day Money laying around, just to find loads breaking even to get into the higher more profitable freight lanes.
    Denver is bad finding good paying freight, and Vegas was great getting into, but hard to find anything worth a crap coming out.
    It's just kinda the tradeoff for living out here.
    Oh, I'm sure if you've got a good business plan. You will make it. But, you need to be twice as shrewd, as someone else in the more profitable freight lanes. JMHO
    Have a Great Day!!

6. 6wheeler

6wheeler Road Train Member

Aug 30, 2009
    Your story is just like mine. Got started in 2010. 48 flat is all you need. I have a 99 Mack and 03 a Peterbilt.

7. 6wheeler

6wheeler Road Train Member

Aug 30, 2009
    Facebook can beat those prices

8. Gumper

Gumper Road Train Member

Jan 7, 2018
    Butte, MT
    $50,000 is what I figured. My wife works at a credit union, and she’s getting me information on business loans for this. Id start out with a loan, then if needed I can try to do the 401k thing later on which like was mentioned involves a lawyer to set it up.

I hope I can get loads of lumber or something. Most likely I’ll be deadheading 80 miles from home to get the loads. Luckily it’s all open interstate around here with minimal city driving. Being an O/O while living in Western MT won’t be easy. Right now working 45-50 hours a week I make the equivalent of .45c/mile while hauling explosives. That includes loading, unloading and loading the blast patterns (I believe I’m being ###### as far as pay goes, and I have all the seniority). If I can bring home $50K a year with my own truck I’d be ecstatic. Better than working for the thankless big corporation I slave for now. I guess the worst case scenario is I fail after a few years, sell the equipment and go back to being an ant in the colony.

9. Gumper

Gumper Road Train Member

Jan 7, 2018
    Butte, MT
    I found a KW with trailer for sale for $27,000 that even had my last name on the door already (which is uncommon so I take that as an omen). Sadly it had just sold since it was obviously a good deal. Not sure what kind of omen that is..

6wheeler Thanks this.
  10. StrokerTSi

StrokerTSi Medium Load Member

Aug 28, 2016
    When I got going I had the same thoughts, 25 for truck 15 for trailer, but ended up only buying a 15k truck. Thankfully I bought a cheaper truck as I had some repairs to make to truck and trailer which ate time some away which ate up the extra money to keep the household together. Between the initial down time & repairs, insurance, plates, some other misc business start up expenses, the other 15k I had was dahm near gone.

11. Gumper

Gumper Road Train Member

Jan 7, 2018
    Butte, MT
    The 27K truck with trailer I mentioned in my past post may still be available. Going to look at it tomorrow if the other deal falls through. 96 W900 with an N14. 400K on the drivetrain. So if I start with a 50K business loan I hope will have enough to get the show on the road.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.