explain the 16 hour rule for OR drivers Please.

Discussion in 'Trucking Industry Regulations' started by sheestagirl, Jun 12, 2009.

1. JZenn

JZenn Bobtail Member

Oct 22, 2014
    Indianapolis, IN
    What if I haven't driven for a week? I daily drive for this company as a temp sometimes, but I haven't driven for them in at least a week, or anyone.

2. x1Heavy

x1Heavy Road Train Member

Mar 5, 2016
    White County, Arkansas
    If you were off at home for a week, your recap total hours should be close to if not at 70 hours.

3. ZVar

ZVar Road Train Member

Sep 10, 2010
    Flint, MI
    If you haven't driven for a week, unless you are insane, you have chosen to take a 34 reset which zeroes everything out..
    Unless you are working 2 (or more) jobs, then that's a whole other kettle of fish.

4. Pedigreed Bulldog

Pedigreed Bulldog Road Train Member

May 7, 2011
    34 hour reset only allows you to use it a second time within a week. You STILL have to have returned to your starting location on each day of your previous 5 days worked in order for it to be available to you.

5. Brandonpdx

Brandonpdx Road Train Member

Dec 27, 2007
    Elkhart, IN
    He did the right thing. If I go over 15 or 30 minutes that's what I put in the book and don't even bother "liar-ing" about it. It is what it is.

6. Heliophobe

Heliophobe Bobtail Member

May 2, 2010
    Regarding returning to your starting location, what about this scenerio:

One or two days a week you have to leave your tractor and trailer somewhere other than your starting location but you return to your starting location in, say, a taxi.

Where did you end your day, with the truck or at your starting location?

7. x1Heavy

Mar 5, 2016
    White County, Arkansas
    I park the tractor trailer and when I leave it, Im off duty. The #### thing can burn for all I care.

When I am inside that truck again ready to go it's log time. But not one moment before.

LoudOne Thanks this.
  8. Heliophobe

May 2, 2010
    I am being paid till i get to my car. logged out of the truck but still on the timeclock.

9. x1Heavy

Mar 5, 2016
    White County, Arkansas
    Ok fine. If you are being PAID on company TIME until you touch the car, then you log out inside your car. Im expecting there is a way to verify your end of work day at the car such as a time clock inside the drivers room of your company or some such.

That car is personal transport. There is no point in a company paying you to commute to work. We all would be rich by now.

10. Heliophobe

May 2, 2010
    The way my company and another company that does a similar run always interpreted the rule was we couldnt use a 16hr day because we left our trucks somewhere else at least once a week.

Now they have told a couple new guys to use it. Curious of peoples interpretation.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.