explain what i found on pre-trip

Discussion in 'Questions From New Drivers' started by ad356, Jul 17, 2018.

1. ad356

ad356 Road Train Member

Mar 13, 2017
    so i did my pretrip on a tranker i was picking up to load at the farms...... i found a tire right off the bead no air, ok a little strange but whatever. i take the tanker to the mechanic. i stopped looking the trailer over the minute i found the bad tire, as i had no intention of taking it anyways. upon further inspection all of the brake components are missing from that wheel assembly. there was NO drum, no shoes, nothing. i dont deliver the loads and am picking up an empty that someone else pulled last. HOW the heck does that happen. drums are large heavy objects that are secured by the many studs running through it. HOW does that go missing? anyone else ever see this type of thing? its a good thing i look my equipment over because this could have been a very bad day.

Lepton1 and SingingWolf Thank this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. ad356

ad356 Road Train Member

Mar 13, 2017
    if that assembly came apart, how did it not make a god awful noise?

4. WesternPlains

WesternPlains Road Train Member

Sep 1, 2017
    They had to put it together like that.
    If it came apart. It would have made a whole lot more than a god awful noise.

Tony850 Thanks this.
  5. TravR1

TravR1 Road Train Member

Nov 9, 2017
    TX
    I'm surprised most drivers do no pre trip at all from what I notice... Not even when they back into a new trailer.

I got a new trailer with a leaking air hose. Wasn't a small leak either. If I didn't look it over might not have caught it.

SingingWolf Thanks this.
  6. ad356

ad356 Road Train Member

Mar 13, 2017
    so in other words this trailer was in for service and they forgot to put brakes on it and some dummy took it without looking at it?

Tb0n3, Lepton1 and SingingWolf Thank this.
  7. WesternPlains

Sep 1, 2017
    Basically.... .... .... yes ... .... ... :)

Lepton1 and SingingWolf Thank this.
  8. ad356

ad356 Road Train Member

Mar 13, 2017
    really? i turn the lights and hazards on, i check the lights for function; i look at the brakes and slack adjusters; i look at the tires; also make sure the trailer doesnt have any broken springs. i open the cabinet and check to make sure the wash tag is current (dairy regulations allow 4 days), and that the trailer was actually washed. i also look that pump motor bracket make sure its not cracked (i had a bracket fail motor fell inside the cabinet. this destroyed the motor housing. i pull forward a few feet and pull the "spike", this tests the service brakes. i check to make sure the bolt on the front of the 5th wheel is fully retracted (that is an indication the 5th wheel is fully locked)

in short i have to look things over before i leave.

SingingWolf Thanks this.
  9. WesternPlains

Sep 1, 2017
    Do you know that a new Volvo has an inspection choice in the computer. It will go through everything on the lights while you're outside looking. I fear many won't ever discover this.

SingingWolf Thanks this.
  10. TravR1

TravR1 Road Train Member

Nov 9, 2017
    TX
    I wasn't implying you don't. In my case running teams I know if I dont do it, it will never get done.. Not even when getting a new trailer.

And when I caught the leaking air hose, my companion said let's run to a ts get some tape and I'll fix it. LOL. Duct Tape Dave...

I called breakdown and we had a new hose on there within an hour.

SingingWolf Thanks this.
  11. ad356

ad356 Road Train Member

Mar 13, 2017
    we had one older volvo and a freightliner classic they are restoring, everything else is 100% pacar peterbilt and KW. recently every new truck he has been ordering has been a T880

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.