explain what i found on pre-trip

Discussion in 'Questions From New Drivers' started by ad356, Jul 17, 2018.

1. shogun

shogun Road Train Member

Jan 23, 2009
    Doing a regen
    That’s nothing. My company fired a driver for taking a trailer that was missing the whole back axle. He discovered it about 120 miles up the road when he stopped to get a drink. When he realized he didn’t have time to bring it back and swap, he had to tell what happened. Then he got fired, and he deserved it.

Lepton1, SingingWolf and magoo68 Thank this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. 12BSEEN

12BSEEN Light Load Member

Jun 11, 2018
    An overheated,glaze drum that has cooled can shatter into many pieces when brake pressure is reapplied..did you see any signs of overheating on the remaining components?..ex. leafsprings,knuckle joints and such

Lepton1, stillwurkin and wore out Thank this.
  4. ad356

ad356 Road Train Member

Mar 13, 2017
    i did not further examine the remaining components, i left that task up to the shop and the lead mechanic. i had another trailer in the yard to use so i grabbed that trailer and continued my route.

SingingWolf Thanks this.
  5. ZVar

ZVar Road Train Member

Sep 10, 2010
    Flint, MI
    My first thought (from living in Flint, MI too long, I'm sure) is that the drums are worth money. Someone took them to a scrap yard and didn't get time to tall all four, or didn't want to be caught as no brakes would be noticeable.

Otherwise it's a very, very unobservant mechanic putting a tire back on without drums. So bad I fear the safety of any vehicle he's touched.

SingingWolf Thanks this.
  6. ad356

ad356 Road Train Member

Mar 13, 2017
    who has the ability to remove truck tires and steal a brake drum that quickly? without an air compressor? one of our service trucks has a gasoline powered compressor to run such tools. those lug nuts aren't like removing lug nuts from a car.

the thing that really makes me nervous about the whole thing, i asked the mechanic if he ever saw anything like it. he said that wasn't the first time he saw a trailer with missing brakes. wow how incredibly stupid.

to think we run overweight permits, my truck is permitted for 102K gross. with that much weight i expect all of the brakes to be on the trailer. the whole thing stinks.

SingingWolf Thanks this.
  7. AModelCat

AModelCat Road Train Member

Jul 7, 2015
    Canuckistan
    Scrap steel is only worth like $200-250 per ton. Those drums might weigh 50lbs each. Only cost about $100 each new. Even a scrap aluminum rim is worth maybe $40.

SingingWolf Thanks this.
  8. AModelCat

AModelCat Road Train Member

Jul 7, 2015
    Canuckistan
    I bet there was an issue with something on that wheel end. Maybe worn spindle or something and parts were not readily available so it was slapped back together to get it out of the shop until parts came in.

austinmike, Bob Dobalina and fargonaz Thank this.
  9. MACK E-6

MACK E-6 Moderator Staff Member

Sep 19, 2005
    Baltimore, MD
    That’s certainly what it sounds like.

For the components in question to be there, and then cease to be there over the course of a normal day is somewhat incomprehensible.

SingingWolf Thanks this.
  10. special-k

special-k Road Train Member

Dec 27, 2008
    Southern Ontario Canada
    I'm with you. The shop put it together enough to be mobile but the dispatcher thaought it was fully repaired and sent it back out into service. Basically just a screwup.

Bob Dobalina and SingingWolf Thank this.
  11. wore out

wore out Numbered Classic

Jun 5, 2013
    CHASIN THE DEVIL'S HERD
    I'm betting with it having a flat that the valve core was ripped out when the brake drum came apart. I have seen it several times first hand, stopped with the guy once to make sure I didn't have damage from flying debris. Then helped him dig the shoes out so they wouldn't get caught up in the wheel. You couldn't tell it ever had a drum on it without pulling the wheels. The face was all that's left

shogun, special-k and TripleSix Thank this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.