Exposing log book tricks

Discussion in 'Experienced Truckers' Advice' started by jlkklj777, Jan 1, 2008.

1. bullhaulerswife

bullhaulerswife Forum Leader/Admin Staff Member Administrator

Jul 23, 2007
    Midwest
    :biggrin_25525::biggrin_2559: Yeah, but if you have bluetooth, I think your pretty safe.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. im6under

im6under Heavy Load Member

Feb 13, 2007
    iowa
    since and until there is a such thing as getting paid overtime for driving I'm all for the hos regulations.

but then again I'm all for the d.o.t.

a/c won't work and its hot...? Freezing cold and the door seal is trashed numbing your left leg...? afraid to go down the hill because the jake switch has been busted for three months and you know what the brakes look like?

flash your lights four or five times as you cross the scale...

your best friend is inside and he'll make sure all that stuff the company keeps ignoring you about, get's fixed.

scottied67 Thanks this.
  4. Doma

Doma Light Load Member

Sep 19, 2007
    MA
    777, thanks, but please don't feel bad for me, I love my job, and my company treats me well. like I said if I was to cheat... Theese aare things You would need to do to make it worth it.. But please don't feel for me. I do things the I do the way i do them because it is the best for me, thats all. I have good equiptment and years of experience, I also have no marks on my record, that means none, so having said that, it would mean I am doing something right, I am by no means some renagade running with toothpicks in my eyes and my load falling apart, to get to the next stop, believe me I have it nice, and yeah I run hard but it is by choice, and because I can do so safetly, it took a long time (years) to learn how to do things safetly and even after this many years, I am learning something new every day, sometimes from a veteran, and yes some times from a kid who just got his ticket. I am also here because I choose to be and if it was that bad I would definately be doing something els. Again thank You but, if You do the math, 16 years at this and 0 violations, I am probably doing something right and it is probably with a smile on my face,, What I was trying to convey was how the current system for HOS is really kind of silly, and is not a good system for drivers, I think drivers should be inspected by a doctor and then have to be tested in some way to determine what kinnd of hours they should run, lets be honest, there are allot of drivers out here who should not be driving for an hour, never mind 11.

scottied67 and strat57 Thank this.
  5. Brickman

Brickman Trucker Forum STAFF Staff Member

Sep 17, 2006
    WY

If your truck is in that bad of shape just park and go inside and tell them. Ask for a level 1 and tell the guy why. He'll be more than glad to boost his state's revenue at your bosses expense. Your boss will never know you asked for inspection.

One company I drove for wouldn't get me new trailer tires. Times were tough and money was tight. I got pulled over one day for a level 3 and when the cop was done he didn't say any thing about the tires. I asked him to take a look and why. He did, and marked them on the paper work to be changed!!! Guess what? I got new tires pronto.

scottied67, slabrunner and InMyDreams Thank this.
  6. BooBooMaker

BooBooMaker Light Load Member

Dec 27, 2007
    Benson, NC
  7. Preacher Man

Preacher Man Road Train Member

May 31, 2008
    Mason City, IL
    Every drunk, every addict says the same thing "I know my limits." Unfortunately most of the time they are the last to realize how out of control they really are. When I was brand new I had a trainer with the attitude that he was different, he only needed a maximum of 5 hours of sleep...he was wrong. The human body is designed to function in daylight and needs six to nine hours of sleep a day. I have been around to many drivers who drove illegal and wanted to skirt the law. I have even worked for companies that gave me no choice and I have learned a few tricks myself. I have decided that battling the fatigue and stress over the chance of getting caught isn't worth it. When you skirt the law you play into the hands of companies that want to abuse their drivers and then toss them to the side like yesterday's garbage. Bottom line, if you are driving tired you are a danger to me and everyone else on the road. If you are dead who is going to care for your family? If your company expects you to drive illegal, time to look for another company. I have found the secret to making money in this business isn't how many miles you drive, but how much do you make per mile. If you get 2000 miles a week and increase your pay by just $.02 per mile that equals $40 a week, $160 a month or $1940 a year for the same amount of work.

Baack, pt trucks, sealdad and 5 others Thank this.
  8. InMyDreams

InMyDreams Light Load Member

Jul 25, 2008
    Kingston, Wa
    you've gotta be joking me. you mean it comes down to that? they actually pull your celly records? this must be in the case of an accident or something ... not just a speeding ticket, etc. RIGHT?

9. pt trucks

pt trucks Bobtail Member

Aug 17, 2008
    denver,co
    I used to work for the same company I do now.. we used to run.. ahem.. 23 hour days.. finally someone made it so we could not. thank god. now its all to the wire on logs period. its easy to run legal. all you have to do is say im going to run legal period and if you dont want me too.. I can work for someone that does.. YOU CAN DO IT..

scottied67 Thanks this.
  10. 24valve puller

24valve puller Medium Load Member

Sep 8, 2007
    N.E. Oh
    In a dream world everybody would only have to work legal to make $100k/year. In the real world you have to do what you have to do. Most people know their limits and respect them, its all about what your body is used to. The human body can be trained to do almost anything you want it to do. This happened to me last week, I got to 70 hours, 5 hours from home early saturday morning. What do you do? sit in the truck,or drive home and make you book do what you need it to. I know what my choice is and I am not putting anyone in danger because 70 hours in a week is nothing. I've worked jobs where you had 70 hours by Thursday morning and end the week Saturday night with 110-120 hrs running a $250,000 machine. Some people can do this and some can't and thats fine but don't try to tell me what my body needs or wants.

scottied67 and jlkklj777 Thank this.
  11. goodtogo

goodtogo Bobtail Member

Aug 21, 2008
    OTR
    5. You become so tired from working a 100+hrs a week instead of the industry norm of 70-90 you fall into a micro sleep for half a second and take the lives of motorists

6.You spend more hours a week of unpaid time/labor good for you.

7. I can't believe you would post a "how to" to break laws designed for the welfare and safety of everybody on the road as a example of how truckers can be "intelligent and creative".

Dear Mods, I am not trying to be confrontational. But FOR REAL.
    I don't like the HOS laws but I respect the intention of the law.

scottied67 Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.