Extended sleeper cabs...aftermarket?

Discussion in 'Questions To Truckers From The General Public' started by ziggystyles, Aug 15, 2007.

1. Angeleyes

Angeleyes Bobtail Member

Jul 8, 2007
    Somewhere, Arkansas
    Hubby drove one of those rolling apartments for about 2 months for a "Friend of a Friend" It was a Volvo with a shower, queen size bed, big screen tv, and even a sink, the only problem was, it was 336 wheelbase with a double frame, it was a nice truck, and I loved it, but we could park next to a Atlas driver with a big sleeper, and still have our nose sticking out past his, I loved the attention we got when we drove it, but it weighed 36,000 pounds empty with a half a tank of fuel, the really bad part about it was the dimwit who owned it insisted that money was in refrigerated freight, needless to say, he wanted us to run over 80,000 pounds all the time, so after a couple months, hubby told the guy to shove the fancy truck up his ***, well, the guy owned three trucks besides that one, and he lost his fancy trucks when DOT found out his drivers where running, how should we say, not by the book....LOL

:biggrin_25523::biggrin_25513:

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Pete_379X

Pete_379X Super Chrome

Jul 4, 2007
    Arkansas
    I've seen a big ol black W-9 with a mega inch sleeper pulling a matching black reefer unit. My first impression was.. man thats sweet! But then reality caught up.. I spent the rest of the day trying to get the guy on the radio and wondering how in the heck does he make any $$$ with that reefer. I wouldn't figure pulling a half load all the time would make for a good pay check. It was the biggest sleeper truck I've ever seen on the road. Looked to be bigger than a 140". Way bigger than a Reliable or Allied sleeper truck.

4. wallbanger

wallbanger "Enemy of showers everywhere"

Odds are, that the W9 is pulling some very special freight in that reefer, maybe chemicals, etc. Something where they only pull one or two types of freight, for the same customers over and over. Because,otherwise, you are right, it would be very difficult to make ends meet. Hell, forget making ends meet, just the payment alone would probably kill you!

PS- Pete, did you see that W9 on I24, say in Kentucky? Because if so, then I have seen it too, and last time it had a few placards on the trailer.

5. tomhorn

tomhorn Light Load Member

Aug 9, 2007
    Jacksonville, FL
    Usually people with stuff like that make only one payment. A big one, upfront. They are as concerned with comfort as profits. I have seen these units that pull exotic cars from ports in Miami and Houston to LA and NY for emissions conversions and tests, prior to getting import certification for road use in the USA. We're talking about Lamborhinis, Maserratis, Aston Martins, Ferrarris and such. They pull a 4 car enclosed stacker and get like $3/mi. or some such

6. Pete_379X

Pete_379X Super Chrome

Jul 4, 2007
    Arkansas

Actually it was rolling west on I-30. He passed me up when I was getting on 30 in Benton, AR. Followed him down to Dallas but had to get on the 45 to Huntsville. I want to pull that type of freight!!! Haha :biggrin_2559:

7. wallbanger

Maybe not, if I remember correctly his load had just one placard on it, a radioactive one!

8. AlohaWolfana

AlohaWolfana Bobtail Member

Aug 21, 2007
    LHC, AZ
    Very nice. My husband wanted a bigger cab, but it doesn't sound like a good investment. Mahalo for the information!!

9. wallbanger

The bigger cab is nice, esp because you can spread your stuff out, however, it really depends on what kind of customers/docks you need to get in and out of. I love the look of a pete 389, or a W9, but if it were up to me, I'd probably go with a Volvo 670 and make due, it can get a little cramped (trust me, it may be a condo but it's tight in there!) but that truck rides nice and can cut and turn a tight circle.

10. kaiwren986

kaiwren986 Light Load Member

Aug 9, 2008
    Lowell, IN
    I'd hate to miss my a turn and have to find a place to turn that thing around!

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.