Eyeglasses for DOT physcial

Discussion in 'Questions From New Drivers' started by localguy65, Jun 16, 2018.

1. Moose1958

Moose1958 Road Train Member

Dec 17, 2010
    Williesburg, Virignia
    There is no such rule. This one is covered by common sense. I had a vision restriction on both my CDL as well as my DOT card. I wore soft contact lenses. I have been inspected many times over the years. I was only asked one time about not having glasses on. A simple I am wearing contacts ended that. As to you comment about legally moving a truck after losing or breaking a pair, well on it's face that is a bit silly. Who loses their lenses while driving? Ok they can fall off your face, but all you have to do is pull over. In any event a cop will just call for a hook. You are in a new driver question and answer forum. You have stated something as a law. You have been asked to link to this law. You refuse to do so. Nothing personal here but if you choose to spew crap like this and get called out like you did. You need to link to the rule or be quiet!

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Buckeye 60

Buckeye 60 Road Train Member

Apr 19, 2018
    I have no idea how to do that ..... it's a law either believe me or you don't ... I don't care it has been the rule since I started 35 years ago .... ..

4. Moose1958

Dec 17, 2010
    Williesburg, Virignia
    [​IMG]

5. STexan

STexan Road Train Member

Oct 3, 2011
    Longview, TX
    Losing glasses would be the last thing I would worry about. A lens falling out or maybe they fall off as you're coming out of a trailer and you step on them ... crap like that is why you carry a spare of something you need that can't be bought in the truck stop to get you home.

6. Moose1958

Dec 17, 2010
    Williesburg, Virignia
    Absolutely!! When I was active I used regular glasses and prescription sunshades. I kept a glass case clipped on my visor. Because I wore soft contacts those glasses stayed in my briefcase most of the time. This is basic common sense. However it is not mandated.

Edited to add I also had a pair of prescription safety glasses too. These were the type with an elastic strap on them.

7. Buckeye 60

Buckeye 60 Road Train Member

Apr 19, 2018
    exactly

8. dibstr

dibstr Road Train Member

Sep 10, 2010
    Mississippi
    No one and definitely not Moose has stated that it isnt a good idea to carry spare glasses or contacts. When someone makes a statement and then uses a logical fallacy (Appeal to authority) as as attempt to defend it they can expect to be called out on it. We have more than enough rumors and myths within trucking, why keep adding to them especially to new people. There is no such law or Reg.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.