Factoring/New Authority

Discussion in 'Ask An Owner Operator' started by jodyj54, Mar 15, 2018.

1. jodyj54

jodyj54 Light Load Member

Mar 15, 2018
    I would like to pass some information and experience onto any drivers thinking of obtaining their own authority and using factoring companies.

Firstly, if you start out with your own truck and use factoring, you may run across many issues as I did; in that they promise next day pay and that is hardly the case -my experience. They find issues with almost every BOL submitted and often just tell you they are having trouble with the broker paying. Bills are always not clear enough-submit or fax another, and another, and sometimes I was asked to send in originals. I did this priority mail and they claim they did receive them and I was to track them. Or, they claim they have not checked mail today etc and every other excuse not to pay on time. I was not paid on a couple bills and put off by one factor time and time again only to call the broker myself and find that they paid, but I was not paid. So, point is; you may have many problems getting your money paid to you.

Secondly, if you don't use factoring, some companies will not pay up to 6 weeks after you deliver the load. LANDSTAR for me is one of them that finds every excuse in the book not to pay. I call them and call them and the check is to be sent out Monday, but by Friday it is not here. I call again and the load number for the check that was to be mailed 5 days ago is not in their database-they cannot cross reference your BOL, or your MC, or your company name, or shipper or receiver to locate the load. That's my experience with them when we send in a clean BOL the day the load was delivered. (I am sure those leased directly to Landstar and other trucking company brokerages get paid timely-good). Five other brokers have not paid after 5 weeks, one does not have any record of our paperwork and the list of issues with brokers and factors goes on.

Thirdly, if you use OOIDA insurance, you may find 20-30 large brokers/trucking company brokerages that will not use you. I was given a list by OOIDA Insurance of brokers whom I would have trouble with and yes, Landstar was on the list also, but Landstar said they could use me for 45 days and that's all due to my insurance (even though I carried the required 100,000/1 million). But these companies, in my opinion, probably had disputed claims by OOIDA and thus, its a way for them to get back at OOIDA.

Lastly, if you have new authority it is often difficult to broker loads because " you have new authority". That is a new absurdity in trucking today. I had driven over 5 million miles with 34 years of safe driving only to be told you cannot have a load because your authority is new. Now, take Swift, England, etc. that have an old authority and they get the load even though the driver may only have 3-6 months experience. That is a new scam that has no standing at all and drives-out new, smaller operation companies or independent operators. I understand that many drivers/Owner Operators may say they never had these issues, and good for them/you. But want to convey this to people who may be thinking of going independent. And, have plenty of cash to fall back on/work with until you are up and running and firmly established.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. gokiddogo

gokiddogo Road Train Member

Mar 5, 2012
    Ontario Canada
    Factoring and brokers....
    The work of the devil..

whoopNride, Oxbow and m16ty Thank this.
  4. Dan47

Dan47 Light Load Member

Feb 14, 2015
    I never had issues with factoring, however wouldn't recommend of using their services, if you have enough cash to go by your own. Those 2-3% ends up being too expensive.
    And yes, many brokers pay in 30-60 days. I had brokers to whom I was bagging almost 6 months and they were giving a bunch of different exuses. Like they mailed the check, then they cancelled, then they forgot to mail drop reissued check in the mail etc.

5. HopeOverMope

HopeOverMope Road Train Member

Feb 25, 2016
    I-20 LOUISIANA
    So driver, what has worked for you? I’m a new authority also, 1 month old, but I have not hauled a load yet. I’ve been to busy getting my paperwork together for the first audit.

I was about to go with Integrity Factoring out of Idaho. Their contract is month to month, no minimums, and choose the customers you wish to factor. 3% , 2% extra for the escrow up to $1500 - My plan was to factor the brokerages that are 25-45 days out, and bill directly to those companies who have a record of paying in 20 days or less. I do have access to the RTS financial credit check database, all of their records I can pull up with my phone

DSK333 and Oxbow Thank this.
  6. m16ty

m16ty Road Train Member

Jan 22, 2016
    Save up at least couple of months expenses before you ever start a trucking company. That way you'll have no problem waiting to get paid and won't have to use factoring.

roshea, spyder7723, JonJon78 and 2 others Thank this.
  7. nax

nax Road Train Member

Dec 14, 2016
    I have not used a factoring company and my MC is 6 months old.

Get this: If the % of factoring is same or more compared to the %quickpay taken, why factor?

Also, I always to a test run with any broker, if I get drama, they go straight into my no-go list (coyote was first)

8. CaptainDaveG

CaptainDaveG Road Train Member

Jul 31, 2014
    Fremont Wi
    I use Loves for factoring. Zero drama Zero hassle, and if there is I can go into any one of there 600 plus stores. And I will get paid.

Be Safe Out There

Captain Dave

9. Gumper

Gumper Road Train Member

Jan 7, 2018
    Butte, MT
    Story sounds identical to mine with the authority age, Idaho factoring company and RTS.

HopeOverMope Thanks this.
  10. Gumper

Gumper Road Train Member

Jan 7, 2018
    Butte, MT
    I have 2-3 months of all expenses in the bank. I’m choosing not to use factoring. Think that’ll work?

whoopNride, Oxbow, jamespmack and 2 others Thank this.
  11. Rubber duck kw

Rubber duck kw Road Train Member

Dec 9, 2017
    You pay cash for the truck? I started last year kinda started running low on funds and ended up taking 2 weeks off to let money catch up a little

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.