failed my cdl test, angry w/myself

Discussion in 'Questions From New Drivers' started by msfern29, Oct 15, 2010.

1. msfern29

msfern29 Light Load Member

Sep 23, 2010
    SW Kansas

the community college near where I lived was Not cheaper, was the same expense (both about 6 grand), plus gasoline for commute to the location (was 60 miles away from where I lived), and I could not get a loan to go there. I tried for many months to figure out a way to make the community college route work. I would have liked to have gone there for the longer program, and more personal attention, yes. I ended up going CDL mill because of the financing options. I am originally from a small town in a very rural area. the school I am attending is no where near where I'm from, is in another state. the schools that state would consider helping with financing were the same distance from my home town as where I am going now, but did not have options for housing, so additional expense to me. No, CC it is not always cheaper option for some people. all costs should be considered, not just tuition. housing, books, and other fees (such as medical card, and cost of CDL test itself) are included in financial decisions, and are not always included in the tuition quote, you have to ask about these extra fees, what and how much they are.
    also, two of the companies I wished to consider applying with said they would not consider the community college near where I lived. one said was due to they only have 150 hours of drive time, and they wanted 160 minimum. other company didn't say why, just it was "not on the list of qualified schools" (but she was nice enough to tell me other schools they would accept, just none near me) the kicker, the CC is actual drive time, the CDL mill is 160 hours school time, with only about an hour a day driving. I do know the CC near where I lived had lost it's accreditation at one point, so I am assuming that also had something to do with why some companies would not consider their training. the college had only had their certification back for about 2 yrs. so no, community college is not always the better option, do your homework before you assume it is better just because it has longer class time.
    so, tip for others, don't just consider costs and practice time, but also consider which companies will recruit from there. Call and ask the school, and call the companies you are considering. if the school is not certified or accredited, it is a waste of your time and money, even if they offer job placement, such as the community college near where I used to live. you might be have the basic training, but your options are limited. some companies (such as Rhoel, Prime, and Stevens Transport) have their own training program (is 3 weeks like a cdl mill, but usually smaller classes), but your options are limited to that company for a specific amount of time to repay your training. compare what each option has to offer, training they offer, cost, and what is expected and required after you graduate, which companies accept and recruit from that location, will that training be considered should you decide to go to another company after couple years? after weighing the pros and cons of all options you can find, then make the best decision for you.
    this ended up being the workable decision for me. I would have liked a different form of training, but I could not afford it. so I am trying to do the best I can with what I've got. I am now homeless, could not find work in my old career (cooking/food service) where I lived and could not afford to pay rent anymore. my 'low income housing' actually raised the cost of my rent when I went on unemployment, tho I was making $200 less each month. the state I lived in did not offer financial assistance for the community college near me, but did for one across the state that did not offer any housing options. I did not wish to live out of my car unless it was my last resort. I tried for several months to find financing to go to local CC and not lose my home or most of my personal belongings. I have no reserve funds left to make deposits to re-establish myself anywhere yet. do to my financial situation, I have hit a 'make it or break it' wall. I will either succeed, or I will be another statistic in the current failing economy. I will succeed.
    I choose this route over direct company training because at CDL mill I am able to apply with many different companies (including the two I really wanted to try with), and not be locked into a single company for a year. this way I have options to compare a few companies before I commit myself.
    I actually filled out 6 applications, and I've got 5 pre-hire letters back. the 6th I need to call, I hear they are the type of company that you have to call and show interest before they invite you to orientation. I'll call them next week to be sure. I know which company I'm going to try to go with. making the call to the sixth just to see the out come, but not planing on going there.

hope this explains better why I am going to CDL mill, rather than Community College. I know mill isn't the best option, but it ended up being the best option for me.

I have a list of questions to ask prospective school/training program, to weigh the options, if anyone would like, let me know and I'll post or send it to you. I also have a list of questions to ask prospective company to drive for when talking to recruiter. (I think is a similar list on the boards here, just don't remember where, but do believe I 'stole' some questions from it)
    I believe in finding out as much information as you can, then make the best decision for you.

Last edited: Oct 17, 2010
    FZ37 Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. walstib

walstib Darkstar

Our community college just leases space to an outside school...The school I'm at used to be based at the school but lost the last bid for the space to another school...

4. target_driver

target_driver Light Load Member

Dec 18, 2009
    Iowa
    1) take note of where your trailer tandems are, can you move them or are they fixed?
    2) dont over steer

msfern29 Thanks this.
  5. kajidono

kajidono Road Train Member

Jun 1, 2009
    Streetrat
    You just gave me another idea for a company to start.

6. Gitty

Gitty Medium Load Member

Jul 16, 2009
    in my truck
    Your problem is not, as a truck. It is all in getting comfortable with the backing concept. I know this won't make sense till you do it. Get a pick up and rent a 19.00 a day uhaul go to the truckstop and set up cones and practice backing it all day. Get your 19.00 worth once you've practiced like this, it will come alot easier to you.

7. OPUS 7

OPUS 7 Road Train Member

Aug 13, 2010
    Thats actually a good idea :thumbup:

8. Ranger_309

Ranger_309 Medium Load Member

Sep 26, 2010

Like I said before don't get all upset at yourself cuase you didn't pass the first
    Time or you will undermine your confidence. Back in the 70's when I tookl these tests
    All we had to do was a dock back into a real dock. Talk about easy. Guess what? I did the
    Back up fine but I got 2 points for choosingh the wrong gear when the 13 speed POS got
    Stuck in revers and I rocked it to unbind the gear. You can do it you just need more
    Time to practice.

Hell most of us can't back up a set of doubles too far but some drivers can.I asked a coworker how he did it. He said LOTS of practice. You will get this down right, driver

9. msfern29

msfern29 Light Load Member

Sep 23, 2010
    SW Kansas
    found out today I'm out of time at the school. today was my last day of practice, my time is up until the day before I go test again. I've hit my hours, and I am no longer "first priority". I will be allowed to test again, but I am second priority, and will not be allowed to practice daily with the other students. (that I will be taking away from their practice time, and it isn't fair to them) I am to call in every day to see when I test again, to see when they have an extra slot available, and will get to come in the day before I test to get a practice / warm up run at driving and backing skills.
    I can understand totally the arrangement. but I am a bit miffed due to part of the reason my backing skills stink, are a few people who didn't pass their first time, was allowed to continue threw the next week until they tested again, and took up my time during my third and fourth week of class (was one day during my 3rd week I only got to practice one backing skill for the day due to 5th week people getting 5 or more tries at a one skill to get it passed). the school is 160 hours (4 week school), standard for many, and I had 160 hours when I went to test first try. the others I tested with that day, two were actually on their fifth week, the other had been complaining that he was at 180 hours for over a week. I had been practing and driving with all 3 all week before the test. apparently is changes in how the school is operating over all, and I get to be one of the "lucky" ones who fall under the new policy. so I will not get the treatment they got last week, but we are all being treated the same this week. I am a bit confused and angry. but nothing I can do about it. Yes, I did ask for more time to practice. got told nothing he can do, is policy and he has to follow company rules.

thanks for all the tips and ideas tho! I re-read threw them before I went to school this morning, and I did get the parallel in the box...sight side was 5 points off, blind side was 4 points off (both sides were for extra pull ups, and I used both my G.O.A.L. on both sides). better than I did at dps/dot test. I do understand the concept better, and think I have aim points pretty well figured out. wish I could practice it a bit more before test again; nothing I can do about that now but pray I get it down the day before test when I get my last practice run at it.
    thanks everyone for responding! :biggrin_25514:

10. Jarhed1964

Jarhed1964 Road Train Member

Jun 22, 2007
    Charlotte, NC

I don't. I went to a mill in Fontana, CA back in 2007. Advanced School of Driving. It was a mill, but I learned WELL how to back, alley dock, drive through traffic, etc. They were tough, but very good. At the end of two weeks, I had a CDL. Didn't make me an expert, but they got me my CDL and I actually learned how to back. They also had a guarantee that if you don't pass, you keep coming back until you do.

11. Ranger_309

Ranger_309 Medium Load Member

Sep 26, 2010
    Well ,all you can do now is hope you get a half-way fair examiner (I got the worst one around at the time, but I had lots of skills driving class B and C trucks, so I got a 98%, but that was many years ago, so its not the same) and if you can, get both mirrors and your seat adjusted perfectly for you. Don't pay ANY attention to the tester or any facial expressions. Act like he doesn't even exist, in fact. Its just you and the truck and trailer.

Go real slow and slip the clutch as much as you need to; who cares if it gets hot? You need to pass this test and they cant say anything about it since they didn't give you enough seat time backing up.

Good luck and give it your best shot, driver. That's all anyone can do.

msfern29 Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.