Failed the driving test

Discussion in 'Trucking Schools and CDL Training Forum' started by ozzyoztrucker, May 19, 2022.

1. buddyd157

buddyd157 Road Train Member

May 25, 2017
    under a shade tree
    i did some time as a CDL instructor, and at times, took students to the different test locations. i have seen way too many times that nerves play a part in a failure. then i had seen way too many times, over confidence played a part in failure.

it happens, practice many more times, then try again. it's all you can do anyway's.

second guessing the tester ain't gonna get you anywhere

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Boondock

Boondock Road Train Member

Jul 20, 2019
    Just drop a twenty in the truck next time. And when she says " You dropped a twenty." Say " Did I ?"...lol

Just kidding...don't do that.

4. ozzyoztrucker

ozzyoztrucker Bobtail Member

Feb 4, 2019
    I don't know if the examiners do or if I have to pay again at the DPS. But I'll have to pay for my truck rental $500. The school covers only the first time test. After that we have to pay for second or third tries.
    Also, I thought it was really harsh as well. When we finished the road test, I was sure that I passed. Then looked at her, she said I didn't. I was really surprised and frustrated. i was like how that is possible to make 30 points error. I feel like she counted as errors every time I didn't start smooth at stop signs or traffic lights.

5. buddyd157

buddyd157 Road Train Member

May 25, 2017
    under a shade tree
    that's right....what were you thinking...??

with food shortages, baby formula shortages, high gasoline prices, at the very least a $100 dollar bill........

freaking $20..........turn in your man card, or your payola card..........

6. tscottme

tscottme Road Train Member

If you almost stall the engine when driving, push in the clutch. Pushing on the throttle will work to prevent the stall but it wears the clutch more than needed.
    I didn't see how you drove or heard what the examiner said. Do you have to retake all parts of the test (Per-trip, backing, and driving) or just the driving? I'm sure you will do better next time. It's not the end of your career, just a delay. Plenty of drivers have not passed the test on the first attempt. Did you get some sort of score sheet any anything explaining what areas cost you points?

7. ozzyoztrucker

ozzyoztrucker Bobtail Member

Feb 4, 2019
    I just have to do driving part again. In TX, when you pass a section of the test, you don't do that part again. So, no pre trip or backing again.
    They don't give any score paper. They actually don't even have to explain why the person failed. They just say, you failed the driving part, come back another time. I asked her though, then she explained just a little, didn't really wanna talk what I did wrong. She was very short to my question. Basically she said I was not smooth enough at starting. And one time stalling. Stalling is normally direct fail in TX, but I told her, the engine never shut off, it was almost stalling, then I push the throttle, so it didn't. I just thought this as well, Is every student so smooth with the gear at the DPS test? I mean all of us rookies just finished the school. I think I can be smooth with gear at least in a couple of months with the job. I feel like her expectation is too high. She forgets that we just graduated rookies. All three of us failed with the same lady that day. I thought driving part would be the easiest to pass. That didn't happen lol. But thank you for the encouragement.

8. FozzyNOK

FozzyNOK Road Train Member

Jul 18, 2007
    Oklahomistan
    Or learn how to drive well enough to actually pass the test

9. JSanborn103

JSanborn103 Medium Load Member

Jan 20, 2021
    When I took my test they failed the guy before me because he dropped the truck key when he was handing it to the next person. All 7 people failed that day for various reasons. I think they get paid per test in some places. Im not in texas but it was the state police who tested me and he was a real lunatic

10. Another Canadian driver

Another Canadian driver Road Train Member

Nov 14, 2021
    ALBERTA
    Just curious how many hours did you have in the driver seat in school?
    Do you remember?

ozzyoztrucker Thanks this.
  11. DesperateCDLstudent

DesperateCDLstudent Light Load Member

Apr 20, 2022
    In that neck of the woods, the examiners get $250 each test. They don’t rotate them, but they don’t let them work in their home area (usually) to avoid any issues.

I feel your pain. There’s really no point in asking anyone for input or even arguing with the examiner. There’s nothing that can be done. The driving portion is subjective. You can’t prove that you drove correctly. Try to take the test at a different test site, since the schools not paying anymore, they really shouldn’t be telling you where to test.

Playing devils advocate, are you sure that the driving went the way that you believe that it did? I take your word, but I’ve seen first hand ex classmates who could not shift that tried to test prematurely. One classmate in particular, could not shift, but kept pushing the issue. He was oblivious to the fact that his shifting was horrible. Then there’s the fact that all of your classmates failed as well.

jmarc77 and ozzyoztrucker Thank this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.