Failing your test

Discussion in 'Trucking Schools and CDL Training Forum' started by Ed james, May 7, 2023.

1. Mike2357

Mike2357 Bobtail Member

May 25, 2023
    In other words if we adopted German Licensing standards for cars, then upgrading to a CDL wouldn't be like going from high school biology to med school.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Todd727

Todd727 Light Load Member

Jun 7, 2021
    You are missing the entire point of a pre-trip inspection. You expect the company to send a mechanic out to whatever truck stop you're at every day to look the truck over and make sure there aren't any maintenance issues?

Here are the under the hood items that you consider to be PhD level:

Hoses
    Belts
    Air Lines
    Electrical Wiring
    Alternator
    Water Pump
    Power Steering Pump
    Air Compressor
    Fluid levels

If you can't glance under the hood and make sure it's in good enough condition to drive, then you don't belong behind the wheel of a CMV.

4. Mike2357

Mike2357 Bobtail Member

May 25, 2023
    I counted at least 40 things you have to know in the manual just for vehicle inspection.

Last edited: May 27, 2023
  5. Mike2357

Mike2357 Bobtail Member

May 25, 2023
    Do most truckers even do full inspections every day?

Last edited: May 27, 2023
  6. Metalicious

Metalicious Road Train Member

Sep 27, 2015
    No. Go to any truck stop and sit and observe. I bet you could count on one hand how many drivers actually do a full pre-trip according to DOT standards. Myself included, I am not bashful to say it. When it comes to your test (if you don't already have CDL) just remember "I am looking at xyz and it isn't bent, broken, damaged or missing". Good chance the person watching you do your test is going to get sick of hearing the same thing and just tell you to move on.

Bean Jr. and Todd727 Thank this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.