Fan won’t shut off on a C15 cat

Discussion in 'Peterbilt Forum' started by Perchie15, Jan 7, 2022.

1. bad-luck

bad-luck Road Train Member

Nov 16, 2013
    Baltimore, Maryland
    Do you have a check engine light on?

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Perchie15

Perchie15 Light Load Member

Aug 16, 2021
    I did not

4. Perchie15

Aug 16, 2021
    I have it on a Snapon cat program. There is no faults for the hi pressure switch of fan it says

5. Perchie15

Aug 16, 2021
    My computer program says intake manifold temp is 98.6 and coolant is 98.6 right now. Ambient air temp unavailable… but truck dash says 12.5c

6. bad-luck

Nov 16, 2013
    Baltimore, Maryland
    Ok, I had a check engine light. Other than a bad wire somewhere, the only other thing I can think of is possibly a problem with your ECM.

7. bad-luck

Nov 16, 2013
    Baltimore, Maryland
    Here is something I found,

There are many things that can cause an engine fan to stay on all the time. They are also tough to troubleshoot because of this. The most common things that cause this are a blown circuit fuse, relay, or control valve for the fan.

The most important thing to remember when troubleshooting the fan is that the Cat ECM sends power out of pin 11 on the ECM to turn the fan off. It's a fail safe. If the wire fails, the fan will stay on and the engine will not over heat.

I would first recommend checking all fuses and breakers. Then I would remove and apply power to the fan control solenoid and see if the fan will engage and disengage. If it does, I would follow the wires from the control solenoid. They should lead to a relay. You can then check to see if the relay is working properly. If it does not, you may have a bad control solenoid or fan hub itself.

You may also want to check the AC high pressure switch as well. You can disconnect it and use a jumper wire to see if it is making the fan stay on.

8. Perchie15

Aug 16, 2021
    thanks for info as I posted above I did check the hi switch and no luck. Still stayed on. And if I used a battery to the fan solenoid and fan then turned off it won’t be the solenoid though would it? Or the fan clutch? As it’s just not getting power from the truck to the fan. And ya I let the truck run for about 3mins or more to see if fan kicked out. The solenoid on the fire wall? It just leads to the ecm no relay of such.

9. bad-luck

Nov 16, 2013
    Baltimore, Maryland
    The solenoid is on the fire wall. And yes if you put power to the solenoid and the fan turned off then your solenoid is working properly.

It sounds like from the information I found and posted, the #11 pin on the ECM sends power to turn off the fan. So the number #11 pin should have power to it. If it does, then it is most likely a wire going out of the ECM. @Goodysnap may have some ideas.

10. Goodysnap

Goodysnap Road Train Member

Jul 12, 2017
    Cat engine fan is timer based. When you jumped the AC fan cycle switch did you wait for the fan to turn off? Did the AC fan control switch status change in the ECM when jumped vs open?

What chassis do you have and what switch did you jump?

11. Long FLD

Long FLD Road Train Member

Mar 4, 2015
    Had this issue back in 08 with a Acert. On the truck I was driving it turned out to be the intake air temp sensor that was faulty and causing the fan to stay on.

12. Star Rider

Star Rider Road Train Member

Sep 23, 2019
    Michigan
    If you jump the A/C high pressure switch you have to keep it jumped for 3 minutes before the fan kicks off , if that is the problem

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.