Fass Fuel System

Discussion in 'Trucks [ Eighteen Wheelers ]' started by pheebo, Mar 13, 2010.

1. sulltran

sulltran Light Load Member

Feb 8, 2009
    Boston,MA
    I, too,had an older style Fuel Prepoator. I had to replace the motor a few times at better than two hundred dollars a whack. That being said....that was 10 yrs. ago and they have since made major changes in the motor itself, placement(horizontal not vertical) and design. I don't understand the filter problem.....even back then they used to give you a NAPA filter # that crossed to the Fuel Prep. filters if you got in a jam.

I liked the way it made the truck run and filter changes were a breeze with the Fuel Prep. acting as a electric primer pump.

I would buy another one.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Polarbear

Polarbear Light Load Member

Nov 30, 2007
    USA
    I went to the Air Dog display at this year's MATS. The fuel preporator worked even without the motor, it simply turned into a fuel filter and didn't pull the air out with the motor off, but allowed fuel flow. The filters are readily available just about everywhere now.

I also note that the system will help save your engine and fuel injectors. So you will maybe get only up to .4 mpg if you are lucky, but so what? You don't have to worry about dirty fuel getting to your engine. Carry a few extra fuel filters. They are light and don't take a lot of room. Worst case scenario is that you install it and the motor fails at some point.

It turns into a fuel filter that is still lower micron filtration than stock filters. You get the motor fixed and you are back to removing the air. Win win. Just my opinion. I am installing one on a 2007 Coronado with 300,000 miles on it. I will update with results.

HopeOverMope Thanks this.
  4. Kansas

Kansas Road Train Member

Apr 14, 2009
    aircap, Ks.
    Buddy of mine who owns a diesel pickup truck shop has now dropped FASS. Way too many failures, he's jumped over to AirDog, and hasn't had a single problem with an AirDog unit since doing so.

5. freightlinerman

freightlinerman Road Train Member

Mar 4, 2011
    Florida
    Why not just installed a Davco 382 BEFORE the FASS system with a 2 micron filter? Then, never worry about changing the filters in the FASS system for a long, long time....

HopeOverMope Thanks this.
  6. Sumothertrucker

Sumothertrucker Light Load Member

Jan 10, 2011
    I c corn
    Don't know anything about the other systems but I put the big 250gph FASS on my C15 and have been happy with it. Gained a healthy .2mpg wich saves (or makes) $3100 at 135k miles per year. Also really smoothed out the idle and did notice a little gain in performance. I also know 2 other guys who have been running them for quite a while and have been real happy with them. One had some trouble but they next dayed him a knew valve body at no charge. I put mine on myself and everything cost about
    $1000. Pretty good return on investment. NAPA can also get the filters if they don't stock them.

7. larry2903

larry2903 Heavy Load Member

Oct 18, 2009
    On the trails
    Polarbear, was wondering if you have installed the airdog? Any results to share with us yet?

8. Polarbear

Polarbear Light Load Member

Nov 30, 2007
    USA
    If you install the Davco ( as I am doing) before the FASS or the Air Dog II and you use 2 micron fuel filters in the Davco, you will likely have too much restriction of fuel flow to the Air Dog II or FASS. It is best to use the stock fuel filters in the Davco and then go with the lower micron filters in the Air Dog II or FASS. I haven't installed the Air Dog II yet, but am working on it when I have time.

I will post some updates when it happens. I was going to remove the factory water separator Davco, but since I have tank cut-offs and can only pull from one tank or the other I am setting up the system to pull off of the Davco and then I am setting up the return lines to the tanks so that if I ever do cut off one tank or the other I can set up the return to go to that tank with a valve on the line.

I did have a boat trailer fender fly off of a passing four wheeler and rupture one of my tanks once. I wish I had a fuel tank cut off then.

9. SmokinCAT

SmokinCAT Road Train Member

Oct 20, 2010
    Hillsboro, OH./ Adrian, MI
    I can't see giving what the want for the class 8 versions of the air dog. At under half the price I will take my chances with the FASS.

10. PaulE

PaulE Medium Load Member

Jan 15, 2009
    Verona Wi
    there would be too much restriction with the 2 mic cartridge. the Fass pump would be working its ### off pulling fuel thru that. 2 mic filters belong on the pressure side not the draw side. IMO, the Davco upstream of a Fass is overkill. but if you had your heart set on it you could run a Fleetguard FS 19729 50 mic cartridge in the Davco which would only be 1-2 in of restriction .

hmtruk Thanks this.
  11. DL550CAT

DL550CAT Road Train Member

Oct 18, 2009
    Waynesburg, Pa
    I second that!

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.