fat guy and physical agilty testing

Discussion in 'Questions To Truckers From The General Public' started by janda c, Jan 1, 2015.

1. janda c

janda c Light Load Member

Jan 1, 2015
    Fort Worth
    Hello, i realize there are men and women of every shape and size out there but i am a fat guy currently in driving school looking to get hired after school. I am 49, have only had 3 jobs my entire life, no criminal or accidents/tickets and i have my medical card good for 2 years butmybig concern is how difficult different companies physical agilty tests are? Any help would be great

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. chris886

chris886 Medium Load Member

Aug 22, 2013
    Chicago, IL
    My company had no testing beyond the standard dot physical. How big do you mean by "Fat Guy"? I work with a guy that is about 300 lbs. We do local p/d with a lot of physical labor, and he does fine.

4. crzyjarmans

crzyjarmans Road Train Member

Jun 9, 2010
    Home
    Some companies do go passed the basic standards that DOT require, I know Western Distribution out of Denver, CO, but they require 3 years experience, and Melton Truck Lines does as well.

Good luck in your new career

5. STexan

STexan Road Train Member

Oct 3, 2011
    Longview, TX
    I know Knight Trans. has there own physical agilities testing that goes well beyond basic DOT Medical "bend over and try and touch your toes" routine. Or at least they did 7 or 8 years ago. So I guess it all depends on who you consider. For you, some might be an issue getting past there physical, others not so much. Narrow down your preferences, then go to those particular forum boards elsewhere in this forum and ask current or recent new hires what they do or don't do in their pre-hire physical process. Being very large, be prepared to deal with sleep apnea testing and perhaps mandatory usage of CPAP machine. This might be a bigger issue for you then possible agility testing.

6. stayinback

stayinback Road Train Member

Jan 24, 2014
    chicago,il
    stexan, As of right now,There is no law on the books for sleep apnea testing, These bonehead carriers coincide with the ATA and the FMCSA to make drivers 'THINK' its mandatory, Its NOT.

You have the right to refuse any and all questions regarding sleep studies,etc..If the Carrier insists on it,You may want to seek alternative employers

As for being FAT, Who Cares, Im Guessing 60% of the industry is overweight,Just a product of being a trucker.......If the ATA/Fmcsa wants Health fanatics and athletes driving these trucks..Go find them

Tibo77 and Rideandrepair Thank this.
  7. STexan

STexan Road Train Member

Oct 3, 2011
    Longview, TX
    Law on the books or not, it really doesn't matter. If a carrier decides to implement this they can and many do .. just like they can implement a more stringent physical agility pre-hire testing regimen. Yes, he can not answer certain questions and walk and go elsewhere and that's a fine option if it works and eventually leads to somewhere this is not a concern.

Rideandrepair and stayinback Thank this.
  8. bubbagumpshrimp

bubbagumpshrimp Medium Load Member

Oct 26, 2014
    Virginia
    My company only did the DOT physical (nothing beyond that). Only you know your physical limits. There were a few guys in my CDL class (BIG boys) that had a hard time getting in and out of the cab. I'm at a loss as to how they're going to get by (I'm talking x < 5'8" and 350+lbs). If you're in that boat...you might want to stick to dry van gigs with mostly drop-and-hook/unhook loads. No way would you want to be crawling up onto a flatbed with an 80+lb tarp or getting in and out of the cab 10+ times a shift and hefting a hand cart or pallet jack on an LTL route.

Rideandrepair and janda c Thank this.
  9. janda c

janda c Light Load Member

Jan 1, 2015
    Fort Worth
    Awesome advise guys thanks. I dont have any issues getting in and out of the trucks. I am really not interested in flat bed although where i live Maverick has glass division jobs open. Right now i have offers from crete and prime. I pretty well figure i will probably be sleep tested. As for thebacking portion at school it seems it is my knack the very first day i can easily back the 53' trailer anywhere i have been asked

tarmadilo and Rideandrepair Thank this.
  10. Oldman49

Oldman49 Medium Load Member

Jul 20, 2014
    Transport America in Ft Wayne wanted an endurance test, step up onto a 16" high box then back down over and over again for 3 min. Expected rate was 50 steps per min. Schneider wanted driver to climb unassisted, ( no ladders ) into a trailer and see how many 50lb Bowes could be moved to the tail in 3 minutes. No hand carts,but boxes of different weights were also provided to add towards the total.

Rideandrepair and janda c Thank this.
  11. 123456

123456 Road Train Member

Oct 22, 2010
    2557226570_e2133940b2.jpg

no problem........

:biggrin_2559:

Sons Hero and Rideandrepair Thank this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.