fat guy and physical agilty testing

Discussion in 'Questions To Truckers From The General Public' started by janda c, Jan 1, 2015.

1. Rideandrepair

Rideandrepair Road Train Member

Aug 8, 2015
    Never heard of any physical test. Even on a DOT, I explain, I can’t touch my toes, I can do jumping Jacks or run in place, but prefer not to put any extra shock to my discs.Usually , no problem. They believe Me and leave it at that. Them requiring a test, sounds like You’re gonna be lumping Loads. Have had pre employment x rays in the past, for a reason, Those are the Jobs that screwed my back up in the first place. I doubt You’ll have a problem. If so do yourself a favor move on.

tfreemanhome Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. x1Heavy

x1Heavy Road Train Member

Mar 5, 2016
    White County, Arkansas
    I believed you. No contest on my end, mea culpa.

That test would be silly also. Then again my kryptonite would be raising a full up trailer sunk a foot int he mud. Im usually no good for another mile after doing that. And that's not half of what's possible a few times a year.

I agree that doctor must have designed a proper stress test designed to make weaklings drop. (No offense...) then again.. in flatbed Ive had the pleasure of seeing the smallest of people do big things.

tfreemanhome Thanks this.
  4. IndianaF150

IndianaF150 Medium Load Member

Apr 27, 2014
    Walmarts physical is a joke. Schneiders is simple. I dont know if anyone else has them. Most dont. Find a co. Youre interested in and then come back and ask about that co. Specifically.

The biggest problem you might have is that some co’s make you go through a physical at their doctors office. They dont care that you already have a 2 year card

Don’t tell the doctor you’re on blood pressure or diabetic meds or that will screw you up permanently. It wont eliminate you but it may limit your med card to 1 year and more scrutiny.

Makee sure your blood pressure and glucose numbers are good when you take their physicals.

Last edited: Feb 18, 2019
  5. Cam Roberts

Cam Roberts Road Train Member

May 13, 2018
    What you mean fat? All truckers are fat becuase all they do is sit on butt and drive and eat. Except for me becuase I’m local and I got to gym. I’m ripped and I will break your arm in 3 places if you mess with me

snowman_w900 Thanks this.
  6. Powder Joints

Powder Joints Subjective Prognosticator

Sep 25, 2007
    Rosamond, SoCal
    For those whom do not know, this industry have come up with physical agility testing, not required by DOT, but that does not matter.
    First , sleep apnea test is not required for a DOT physical unless you meet certain requirements, which includes having a BMI over 40, a neck-width of over 17 inches for males or 15.5 inches for females, or a BMI over 33 while meeting other requirements, which you can find in our article about BMI requirements for the DOT ...Oct 12, 2021. Seems to be real subjective as to when this is enforced, on good side most drivers I have talk to (includung my son) state they fell better using the machine.

Now your past that the examiner should take your blood pressure, temp and pulse before starting the testing. Next for me was the BOX (18" Box or 3 step stairway) they will have you step up and down on the box for 3 minutes, lift weighted boxes ( 25, 65, maybe 85 lbs) from the floor to a shelf, then back to the floor ( some may have you repeat this up to 3 times. Then you should sit quietly for a minimum of 3 minutes, and retake your BP/P/Resperation.

I don't know if this stuff is a pass fail or information only, don't know.

There's places like Centra that seem to refer everyone to a sleep study. I will not take a physical If I know they are a place like this. Everyone makes there choices. I'm not having a sleep machine tied to me for the rest of my driving career.

7. DixonM

DixonM Light Load Member

May 22, 2022
    Martin Transport also has an agility test also

8. REO6205

REO6205 Trucker Forum STAFF Staff Member

Feb 15, 2014
    California.
    Our agility test is all the stuff a guy does everyday if he works here. Throwing straps over a high load of lumber, rolling out tarps, climbing the ladder on the dry bulk tankers, stringing out chains and binders on the rgn, bumping knots with an axe on a load of logs, and everything else that happens in the course of employment.
    We have several elderly drivers who do just fine and we have a couple of younger guys who are struggling a little. They need to watch the old guys.

9. RebelChick

RebelChick Road Train Member

Jan 2, 2012
    Coastal VA
    AND if the “doctor” doing the agility test thinks you MAY have sleep apnea, you will have to do the take “home” (hotel) test and bring it back the next day. Who the heck sleeps well in a hotel anyways?! Even if you tell them you don’t snore, aren’t sleepy during the day (are we even drivers if we aren’t tired at some point?), etc. If you refuse, you go home.

10. WesternPlains

WesternPlains Road Train Member

Sep 1, 2017
    That with Knight sounds like a bunch of donkey dung. Not the witness. The testing. What was that? Flatbed?
    As I understand. Prime has some stupid testing. "Duck walk" BS.
    Crete doesn't have any. They do want you to do their physical. No big deal.
    I've heard of pull tests. Claiming it's about being able to pull the release for a 5th wheel. Gimme a break! Pulling that 5th wheel lever should be easy. If it isn't. Just back against the trailer to release the stress on it. Advise...if you don't want some idiot pulling your 5th wheel release on you. Just pull forward against it with trailer brakes on. The stress created on the jaws. Nobody can pull that release.
    There's lots of companies out there who don't play with physical ability testing.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.