Father and Son Team

Discussion in 'Trucking Schools and CDL Training Forum' started by JTHub, Sep 25, 2017.

1. JTHub

JTHub Light Load Member

Jun 13, 2012
    Wilkesboro NC
    My son and I are looking at options to go out on the road as a team. I got my CDL back in 2012 from community college program here in NC. (Caldwell Community College & Technical Institute). I only drove for a couple months due to family situation. Now my son is 21 and starting from scratch. If he goes to CCC&TI it will be a 15 week course night course.

We would like any advice regarding training and company choices.

Thanks!!!

pattyj Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Banker

Banker Road Train Member

Aug 19, 2012
    Old Dominion is big over your way. I would try with all the LTL companies as they will pay more than truckload. You may have to do the truckload jobs first to get enough experience if the ltl's are currently requiring experience. It depends on how bad they need drivers as how much experience they require.

Naptown Thanks this.
  4. Chinatown

Chinatown Road Train Member

Aug 28, 2011
    Henderson, NV & Orient
    Old Dominion is the best paying for annual income. Some teams make $225K per year. Old Dominion has their own cdl school in Greensboro.
    Here's a few that hire teams and also 21 yr. old new cdl grads:
    Contract Freighters - www.cfidrive.com - coast to coast dry van. Has their own cdl school & also hires from private schools.
    TWT Refrigerated Service - teams split $.60 cpm.
    May Trucking Company - coast to coast refrigerated.
    East-West Inc. - www.goeastwestinc.com - Has their own cdl school in Swannanoa,NC & also hires from private cdl schools.
    Carolina Southern - High Point,NC
    Danny Herman Trucking - coast to coast dry van. No Northeast. Stay below I-40. Lots of Texas and Southern California runs.
    Southern Refrigerated Transport - coast to coast refrigerated.
    Navajo Express - coast to coast refrigerated trucking.

These hire new grads & run teams, but not sure about 21 yr. old drivers "Call & Ask":
    I
    nman Trucking -
    Leland,NC
    WLA Inc. - North Carolina
    Cooke Trucking Company - North Carolina
    Hardy Bros. Inc. - North Carolina
    Palmetto State Transortation - Greenville,SC

Last edited: Sep 25, 2017
    jfred2 Thanks this.
  5. Chinatown

Aug 28, 2011
    Henderson, NV & Orient
    Try Abilene Motor Express; they'll probably put you through refresher training. They have teams running coast to coast, but not sure if they hire 21 yr. old drivers. They do hire new cdl grads.

6. SheepDog

SheepDog Road Train Member

Nov 30, 2008
    Sand Lake, MI
    I wish you the best... Would love the opportunity to run one load with my dad..

7. pattyj

pattyj Road Train Member

Jul 19, 2008
    Sioux City,ia
    Father and son teaming,that's awesum!!!!!!!! Tell your son to get on here I have a few words of wisdom for him.

8. JTHub

JTHub Light Load Member

Jun 13, 2012
    Wilkesboro NC
    Thank you all for the responses. I've got a lot of research to do! LOL

Chinatown Thanks this.
  9. Banker

Banker Road Train Member

Aug 19, 2012
    Years ago I used to take my Grandad and his 120lb chocolate lab with me on day trips. We were coming back thru Nashville one afternoon and a couple girls pulled up next to us and asked on the CB if we wanted to stop up the road at the Mall and party. They used some colorful language about what we might do and with my Grandad being a good Christian, I acted like I didn't hear what they said. A few minutes went by and he asked me if we were stopping at the mall. We both got a big laugh. I don't have my Grandad any more, but I have some great memories of us trucking together. He also was an old school mechanic and he could fix anything.

SheepDog Thanks this.
  10. JTHub

JTHub Light Load Member

Jun 13, 2012
    Wilkesboro NC

Cool story!! Hopefully we will be creating some of those memories soon!!

Thanks for sharing!!!!

SheepDog and Banker Thank this.
  11. Chinatown

Aug 28, 2011
    Henderson, NV & Orient
    Must have a valid CDL with successful completion of an accredited CDL school.
    Have CDL-A and no experience? National Carriers advertises a 3 week training program.
    Hire 21 yr. old drivers and also have a team operation.
    [​IMG]

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.