Favorite or most dependable trucks

Discussion in 'Trucks [ Eighteen Wheelers ]' started by jbthumper, Sep 25, 2022.

1. MartinFromBC

MartinFromBC Road Train Member

Oct 19, 2018
    Older iron, buy a KW W900 with a yellow puddy tat under the hood.

If you are going new, a volvo vnx 300 or star 49x get my vote.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. jaffles

jaffles Light Load Member

Oct 18, 2017
    Australia
    I have been in trucks for almost 4 years now. My 10c would be look at what support you have in your local area first. I go past Kenworth/DAF and Mack/Volvo on a daily basis so that brand was an obvious choice. I have others within 20 mile but when your truck needs a tow, or just getting back from the dealer can be problematic enough.

Then look at what parts brands have in warehouses within daily access. Where I am Kenworth have over 3 millions parts down the road, Mack are largely 1000km or away. Yes it should be overnight but often its 2, then 1 day to fitment after they get the time too look at it. Some brands don't have parts in the country, and can be weeks before so. You will be long broke and out of business by then.

I have a second hand 2013 DAF with Paccar motor and 12 speed automated manual gear box, 450K on the clock and its been trouble free. Mechanics at KW tell me I'll see 1000,000km before a rebuild may be needed, where as Cummins will be 750,000 almost guaranteed. Be open minded to variances within a major brand as they don't go there is its not reliable or worth it. I have both euorpean and american trucks, I can tell you the european is much comfier though US trucks look better. Just my opinion.

I tend to use dealer support as they have the gismos and parts to make it happen asap, and tend to own it if there is a mishap. I have used smaller mechanics who seem to have a large repertoire of tricks to extract unnecessary money out of you and own nothing. Plus they have no stock besides filters and oil, and often only 25 to 30 dollars per hour cheaper. A few bucks saved in hourly rate doesn't equal faster turnaround in my experience.

Remember if that truck is off the road you are letting someone down besides yourself, and vultures are circling for more market share.

I'm 50/50 as weather a newer truck is a hinderance due to electrical advancement. Pretty sure old school has its fair share of issues as well. Perhaps a newer truck is more quieter and comfortable than older, something to consider if you are planning on sitting in it all day.

spsauerland Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.