FBI Locks Down Pilot Flying J Headquarters

Discussion in 'Truckers News' started by Puppage, Apr 15, 2013.

1. G/MAN

G/MAN Road Train Member

Sep 3, 2010
    Fuel discounts are negotiated by the carriers. They are not legally required to pass along any fuel discounts to owner operators who lease to them. I discussed this at length with Comdata a few years ago. I won't go so far as to say that all carriers who offer fuel discounts to their owner operators, but most do keep part of the fuel discount for themselves. While it may not be illegal, I consider it highly unethical.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Cat sdp

Cat sdp . .

Apr 8, 2012
    Orion's Belt
    Nothing worst than getting screwed by a white collar "criminal ". This raid won't change anything . The local pilot near me is always .25 cents more per gallon more than everyone else around.

Guess you have to pay for those top shelf facilities ............ LOL

4. Jorihe84

Jorihe84 Road Train Member

Sep 1, 2010
    North Florida
    It comes down to buying power. If the carrier is flexing their muscles in fuel negotiations they have no right to keep any of it?

5. EZX1100

EZX1100 Road Train Member

Aug 18, 2012
    the fuel discounts, just like medical insurance, vacation days, etc are all bennies by the company to lure good people

i wonder if IBM or Kodak negotiated a sweet health insurance deal for its employees and was found to pocket the savings instead of passing it on to their employees, would that be acceptable or illegal

(ie, singe person normally pays $500/month, Kodak negotiates $200 for Kodak employees, but still charges the employee $400)

6. Lepton1

Lepton1 Road Train Member

Nov 23, 2012
    Yukon, OK
    If they advertise and contractually promise the complete fuel discount, then they are obligated to give the trucker the full discount.

7. rickybobby

rickybobby Road Train Member

Jul 10, 2010
    greensboro, nc
    STRIKE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! just kidding

8. pawpaw1

pawpaw1 Medium Load Member

Sep 9, 2011
    Dallas,Ga.
    I think you're right , there. IF your lease says that.
    I think most Cos. will say the discount is theirs , if its not written into the lease , and will further say , if pressed on the issue , that they don't pass those savings on to their OOs , because they have to recover transaction costs , that you're fuel is first paid by them , and then , when your settlement is processed , they get their money back, because they have to pay for your fuel first , and , in many cases , they do the book work for the OO , regarding FuelTaxes , which also costs them money.
    Given those arguments , good luck in court , trying to get a judge to agree with You!
    With my Leesee , I beat them at their own game.
    I joined NASTC , which gives me Quite a Discount , I know what it is in advance , and my Leesee Still takes care of figuring my Fuel Tax . So , I win !
    Is it possible NASTC still keeps a bit of their discount , ie , I'm not getting the Full discount They get ?
    I hope so ! They are a business , too , and provide me a Valuable Service! I Want them to make money , so they will keep providing Me with that Service !

9. G/MAN

G/MAN Road Train Member

Sep 3, 2010
    Carriers who offer fuel discounts should be upfront with their owner operators and tell them that they are keeping part of the discount for themselves as their fee for negotiating the discounts in behalf of the owner operator. I don't think any of them actually say that they pass 100% of the fuel discount to the owner operator. I think that they just promote fuel discounts using their fuel card and fuel stations.

10. Lepton1

Lepton1 Road Train Member

Nov 23, 2012
    Yukon, OK
    I'd have to look back at some of the advertisements I've seen in the truck stop brochure/magazines, but I do seem to recall seeing several companies offering 100% of the fuel discount. The problem is that I don't think there is any way for an O/O to really track the discount. It would be great if it was printed right on the receipts....

11. RickG

RickG Road Train Member

Jul 22, 2008
    Owensboro , KY
    They offer 100% of the Fuel Surcharge which is totally different . The FSC is an added charge to the shipper .

G/MAN Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.