FBI Locks Down Pilot Flying J Headquarters

Discussion in 'Truckers News' started by Puppage, Apr 15, 2013.

1. G/MAN

G/MAN Road Train Member

Sep 3, 2010
    Some carriers use fuel discounts as an inducement to use their fuel card, which greatly reduces their paperwork. It can also result in a nice profit for the carrier if they keep part of the discount.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. pawpaw1

pawpaw1 Medium Load Member

Sep 9, 2011
    Dallas,Ga.
    My 2 cents. I'm an OO. I don't use Pilot / J. I have a card that , today , I got 26 cents per gallon off the cash price. It's thru NASTC . I love TA/Petro , and Ambest . Beats the crap outta Pilot any day ! The only reason I stop at pitot/Js or Loves is the Cat scale.
    They both Ripoff OOs , nuff said.

pete1 Thanks this.
  4. chalupa

chalupa Road Train Member

Jul 22, 2010
    Houston,Texas

Like mine? The guarantee a fuel cost of X in lieu of the FSC but then hit me for the swipe charge and now I see their rounding up the pump price by a 10th to a whole number. All a violation of the truth and leasing regs.

Not to worry, I'll nail their arse later.

JMO

5. EZX1100

EZX1100 Road Train Member

Aug 18, 2012
    Pilot board appoints independent counsel to lead internal investigation

By Clarissa Kell-Holland, Land Line staff writer

Criminal and civil lawsuits continue to mount against Pilot Flying J over allegations its sales staff and executives underpaid fuel rebates to small and mid-size trucking companies. The truck stop chain's board of directors have now appointed "special independent counsel" to conduct its own internal investigation.

According to the news release issued by Pilot Flying J on May 1, the board has appointed Reid Weingarten of Steptoe and Johnson LLP, who "will lead, oversee and validate an internal investigation of recent federal allegations that Pilot Flying J underpaid rebates on diesel fuel purchases owed to some of its trucking company customers."

On Monday, April 15, the Federal Bureau of Investigation and the Internal Revenue Service raided Pilot Flying J corporate headquarters, seizing computers and documents related to the alleged fuel rebate fraud scheme.

A criminal case and at least three class-action lawsuits have been filed against Pilot Flying J since claims were made by former employees and informants cooperating with the FBI that sales executives entered into rebate or discount programs with trucking companies for purchasing a certain volume of fuel each month, but then manually reduced the amounts the companies were owed.

The board has also named Brad Martin, retired chairman and CEO of Saks Inc., a Pilot Flying J board member, to head a special committee that will work with Weingarten and "receive his eventual report." Tennessee Gov. Bill Haslam, former president of Pilot and currently a major shareholder, once worked for Martin as an executive at Saks.

Related articles and blogs:
    Civil lawsuits mount against Pilot Flying J over alleged fuel rebate scheme
    From the LL Blog: Pilot Flying J affidavit reveals possible racism Haslam: 'If we owe them money, we will write them a check immediately'From the LL blog: 'Low hanging fruit'Georgia trucking company files lawsuit against Pilot Flying JNew details emerge in Pilot Flying J criminal investigationFBI, IRS investigation focuses on Pilot Flying J customer 'rebate' program

Copyright © OOIDA

lv gn and pete1 Thank this.
  6. EZX1100

Aug 18, 2012
  7. lonewolf4ad

lonewolf4ad Road Train Member

Nov 4, 2008
    Displaced to Colorado
    So the FBI can catch Flying J, but not terrorists? good to know.

RockinChair Thanks this.
  8. pete1

pete1 Heavy Load Member

Not to worry- they're on top of the situation. :biggrin_2559:
    Do they really think people are stupid enough to believe their Reagan-like denials that nobody had any idea what was going on???
    And the rivers of fuel are still flowing out of their pumps.....
    Only in the trucking business...

9. EZX1100

Aug 18, 2012
    believe it or not, i wouldnt want pilot to shut down (too big, maybe)

i would hate to see what TA-Petro would do if they were the only big kid on the block

maybe ambest will get their stuff together

10. pete1

pete1 Heavy Load Member

They won't. They have too many customers who will continue to do business with them.
    If they shut down it would also put alot of people out of work and make a huge mess for everybody.
    Maybe they'll break it up though- anything is possible.

11. JIMROY

JIMROY Medium Load Member

Feb 15, 2013
    ESCONDIDO CALIFORNIA
    well maybe we will get lucky and loves will buy up the pilots and j's then you won't get robbed of your rewards points if not used in 5 days...... They are a bunch of thieves in more ways than one....

Last edited: May 2, 2013
    pete1 Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.