Fed Ex Ground Loads

Discussion in 'Ask An Owner Operator' started by Against The Wind, Nov 22, 2010.

1. Against The Wind

Against The Wind <strong>"The Freedom Man"</strong>

Sep 22, 2007
    So. Calif.
    Looking for Owner Ops that have been or are contracted with Fed Ex Ground.

I would like to know how you went about buying a route?

Did you have to purchase it from an existing independent contractor or from Fed Ex?

How were the working relations with Fed Ex?

Any other info you may have would be appreciated.

Thanks

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Against The Wind

Sep 22, 2007
    So. Calif.
  4. When you talk about buying a route, are you talking linehaul, or P&D? Not that it matters, I'd recommend something else.

Linehaul runs are not sold. If someone tells you they are going to sell you their run, it's B.S. The only thing that can be sold are the points that the tractor has accrued. It's sort of a seniority system where time in service and performance determines what you get to bid on. Each tractor earns points as they remain in service. You can sell those points with a tractor, so if you are looking at buying a tractor from an existing contractor, you could take over the points that tractor has earned.

Working relations with FedEx? Well, I'm not the best one to ask, maybe. I've been there since '96. I leased on with another company that I liked and FedEx bought us. I'm no fan. There are no working relationships with fedEx. You do what they say or you will be made to. I'm still saying no to things that won't pay, but I'm one of very, very few. Most guys are in debt pretty heavy and can't afford to say no.

You can make some pretty good money there, if you have enough points. It's the only thing that's kept me there, but I'm on my way out. I had a major dispute with them earlier this year and began the process of doing something different. They fired the terminal manager before I left and I decided to stick around and see if things would get better under a new TM. It hasn't. Not that he's not a good guy, but he's through and through FedEx and orders come from Memphis and he has to follow them.

I used to pick and choose what I did. It used to be OK to say no to low paying crap or negotiate a better deal to do it. I used to say that I was a number not a name and that was OK with me, just see that the money gets into the right account every week. Not any more. They have moved from that to trying to assume all control of every thing you do and how much you make. They are even now dictating how your business is organized. NO LLC's, sole proprietorships, or C-Corps. S-Corps ONLY.

After FedEx bought the company I was leased to, I started out saying it was a pretty good deal. Then I started saying it wasn't for everybody. After that, I moved to saying that it was probably a good deal for some, but check it out good before you dive in. It's not your typical trucking gig. Now, I say steer completely clear of these ########. FedEx took a good deal and completely ruined it. I'm just here until I get a few ducks in a row and then I'm out of here. If I would have done it at the first sign of trouble, I'd be better off by now.

On the other hand, if you want to own a tractor and have someone tell you how to run it all the time, it may be your bag. You're in no way going to be independent at FedEx.

Sure, I've made good money there and continue to do so, but it's not great money, and it certainly isn't worth what you'll put up with. Of course, this is my opinion and you'll get different stories from those who haven't been there as long and are still all starry eyed about being part of FedEx. I have decided they are the Borg. "Resistance is futile." Don't get involved.

Against The Wind and josh.c Thank this.
  5. Against The Wind

Sep 22, 2007
    So. Calif.
    Thanks Paddletrucker. That's the type of information I was looking for. The reason i was inquiring is because next week my partner and I start driving a dedicated run from Rialto, Ca to Harrisburgh, PA for an "Independent Contractor" with Fed Ex.

This guy just bought three trucks/routes from a guy that has 20 years with Fed Ex as an "Independent Contractor". My new boss is not, nor has ever been a truck driver let alone an owner of anything to do with trucking. He is an accountant/business man.

I was interested in possibly in the future getting into the owning part of the gig and thought to myself that if this accountant/ business man is jumping in full steam ahead, the numbers must be pretty good.

I have always been a company driver and made great money but I eventually want to move into the owning side of things and wanted to find the closest thing to a sure bet, with consistent home time and dedicated runs. So I will see how Fed Ex treats my new boss and go from there.

Thanks for the great info and if you have anything else to add I would appreciate it.

6. Well, I'm sure the numbers are pretty good. As I said, money is not my complaint with FedEx. I make good money and I'm home every day. My complaints are all with the bureaucracy, the control, and the selective enforcement of the "Old Testament length" contract.

If your new boss bought from a guy who's bailing after 20 years, he'll likely be getting tractors with lots of points. That's good...for you. It's one of my complaints. Why should a new contractor come in and be in front of me when I've been there since 1996? BUT, that's another discussion for another thread.:biggrin_25523::biggrin_25523: Learn about the points system. It's how you'll get the best runs you can. I'd think the PA-CA dedicated should stay pretty busy and make your contractor some money. I've never run teams, so I'm not really all that familiar with doing those type runs. What I do have experience in is dealing with FedEx management. This is why I say to learn the points system. Learn what you are required to do and what you don't have to do. Your boss being not only new to FedEx, but also new to truck ownership, sooner or later, WILL find himself being pressured into doing something that won't pay squat. They'll tell you anything to get you to do it and when that doesn't work, they'll exert pressure. The most important word to know when running for Fred is "NO":biggrin_25513: and when you need to and can say it. A new contractor who has limited experience with trucking is FedEx's most 'favoriteist' thing. They'll like him, especially if they find it easy to convince him to work you guys for free. Just watch out for it and you'll make plenty of money.

Don't let anyone rush you. Solo runs are dispatched at 46 or 47 mph and team runs are dispatched at 50 or 51 mph, unless it's changed, but they give you PLENTY of time. Occasionally, some little peon of a wanna be manager might try to rush you, but ignore him. You'll always have plenty of time. WATCH OUT IN THE YARDS!!!! The yard tractor drivers are complete moronic ### hats and think they are NASCAR drivers and will run over you. YOu'll see lots of non-English speaking drivers who can't back at all trying to get hooked up. They probably have trouble backing their butts to a toilet, but here they are, in a big truck, trying to get a set of doubles hooked up. Another FedEx 'improvement' over the old company.:biggrin_25510: Keep your head on a swivel in the yards. I haven't figured it out, but the guys who have the hardest time backing up seem to drive the fastest in the yards. "I'm having a real hard time doing this, so maybe I'll go FASTER and see if it helps." I've never understood. I've seen teams of non-English speaking drivers (2 GUYS!) take close to an hour to hook a set together, when most of us can do it in a few minutes. One of the most dangerous places you'll ever find yourself is sharing the yard with some of the meat popsicles FedEx has allowed in. Watch them all the time and NEVER assume they see you.

Other than that, it's pretty straightforward. The equipment is really pretty darn good and if there is a problem, run it by the shop and they'll fix it. Don't leave the yard with defective equipment. That'll get you in trouble. Make it their problem on their time. They even have what I call "idiot stickers" on the back of most of the trailers telling you to hook the blue lines to the blue gladhands and red to red and which lines go to the front and which ones go to the back. Boy, did I cuss the first time I saw those! If you need that, you DON'T NEED TO BE PULLING the trailers, IMHO.

Shoot me a PM or e-mail whenever you want if you need anything else, and I'll certainly try to help. Once you get ready to start, I can give you a few tips on the differences in some of the equipment and a few different things. Although, if you've pulled doubles before, you'll likely be just fine and shouldn't find it too hard to figure out. Just make sure they're hooked together good. That's about it. Once you've got them snapped together right, everything is in working order, and you've made it out of the "FedEx 500 Raceways" that we call yards alive, just keep the shiny side up and it's the easiest thing you'll ever do with a truck.

7. Against The Wind

Sep 22, 2007
    So. Calif.
    Thanks Paddletrucker, good to know that I have someone to ask questions on this. Sounds like it will be a steady piece of cake. I have been pulling doubles since I started driving 15 years ago. It will be nice to just have to hook and unhook twice twice a week now.

If I have any other questions I will PM you.

Thanks again!

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.