Federal Wage and Hour

Discussion in 'Truckers Strike Forum' started by scotty, Jul 9, 2008.

1. otr500

otr500 Light Load Member

Feb 9, 2008
    Pitkin, La.
    Well I would consider what type of backwoods, all kin to each other, place that you live--or option two about the schizophrenia.
    I still seems to me that you "personally" have a horrible outlook about where you live, the people, and have included everyone in the south in you opinions.
    I don't have the kinds of problems most have as where I live is surrounded by about 800,000 acres of Fort Polk and Kisatchie National Forest. We live about 48 miles from Toledo Bend. The nearest small town in our Parish is 23 miles. The closest small town is 17 miles and the nearest smaller city is 48 miles. Our idea of a traffic jam is waiting behind 4 or 5 cars while a farmer crosses the road with his tractor.
    When a neighbor plants a garden he will stop by to make sure you come and get some or will bring some over.
    I bought an acre of land and to help my nephew out I sold him half for half of what I paid for it. My nephew and I(and our families) planted a 1/4 acre and gave most of it away.
    This is just the way I am and I find it hard to believe that there are not people like this where you live. I might even believe that for some reason you have chosen to only see bad things. Of course you just may have the unfortunate bad luck of moving to the worse place in American.
    I will tell you that most southern people tend to be more helpful, hospitable, caring, and friendly, than anyone can be.
    I traveled through North Carolina twice a week for over 2 years and the people I met were always nice, friendly, great cooks, and super people.
    I would just suggest taking a step back, taking a closer look, and actually smell the roses. Maybe meeting more people than the 2 that has given you a bad taste.
    I still stand by my theory that if you think all southern people are bad that you consider the above option and seek help.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. wheelchock

wheelchock Bobtail Member

Feb 16, 2009
    nc
    Maybe it's just the area we live in.
    Around here people with college degrees are getting $10.00/hr.
    If you know someone you can find a decent job.
    There is an abundance of over qualified people and the employers know it.
    I will try to keep a better attitude about the general population.

4. dancnoone

dancnoone "Village Idiot"

May 6, 2007
    Mississippi
    I think what you are seeing, is the result of our national school system. With regard to the $10 an hour job. They give high school diplomas to anyone now. Just to get them out of the system...no child left behind.

Motivation and ambition are what's missing.

When I first started work. I managed to work myself into a management position (65 employees), after I had dropped out of High school. I can take a piece of furniture from a simple picture...to the showroom floor. If it involves a piece of furniture, I can do it all, or train you how to do it.

Now, this same job requires 4 years of college. I've since went back and completed my education. And have 2 AD's But I'm not qualified for these jobs anymore. Because the AD's are 2 year degrees.

Even the lowly supervisor with 10 employees, needs 4 years of college and a degree.

To me, that would be like legalizing drugs....but requiring the dealer to hold a High School Diploma,

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.