FedEx Freight Diary (ala Russian Rabbit)

Discussion in 'LTL and Local Delivery Trucking Forum' started by McUzi, Jul 17, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Gearjammin' Penguin

Gearjammin' Penguin "Ride Fast-Truck Safe"

Feb 18, 2007
    Central AZ
    Man, you kinda took it in the shorts there...but it could have been worse, as you know. Hang in there!

FlaSwampRat and McUzi Thank this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. McUzi

McUzi Road Train Member

Jan 14, 2018
    I mean, on paper I did take it in the shorts. However, when I was halfway done with my return trip, I still would have been napping waiting for my trailers typically.

So it could have been worse, but it was still great.

Sitting on my break in New Jersey now at the meet point. No via on the return trip home so if all goes well I should be home be 6.

FlaSwampRat Thanks this.
  4. FlaSwampRat

FlaSwampRat Road Train Member

Jun 1, 2019
    Valrico FL
    I'm sorry to hear that lol

jmz and McUzi Thank this.
  5. McUzi

McUzi Road Train Member

Jan 14, 2018
    I’d retire a happy man to retire on one of our NJ runs.

I’ve managed to learn about 15-20 go arounds off of 95/287/87. Enough that I am almost impervious to construction or accident delays through that corridor. The challenge of navigating through a sea of dip$hi+s is very addicting to me lol.

#mentallyscrewed

6. USMC 3531

USMC 3531 Heavy Load Member

Dec 11, 2016
    Did they pay the two hours hopefully, the 1215 to 0215 you were at the terminal for?

FlaSwampRat Thanks this.
  7. McUzi

McUzi Road Train Member

Jan 14, 2018
    Unfortunately, no. The gate time on that spot is 0300 and the run is under the amount of miles to qualify for hub turn delay (Which would begin after my break had finished). If I would have sat past the gate time, I would have put in for delay.

FlaSwampRat Thanks this.
  8. Russian Rabbit

Russian Rabbit Road Train Member

Jan 3, 2016
    1) It's a good idea to scale on something heavy. i think the heaviest pup i've had was 27K, and no, i did not scale:oops: One of the reasons why is--------do all of your terminals have scales?
    22K is a little too much for the single axle. i'm thinking/hoping that most scales give 500lbs tolerance?

2) At one of our terminals, you must absolutely NOT touch your set UNTIL you check inside (coughbaltcoughticoughmore-----dirtiest mf'ing terminal on earth, i will probably post horrifying pics soon) because stuff changes all the time.

3) But one, apparent(?) difference between ex and browntown is that we go on hourly immediately upon arriving to any terminal irregardless of what we do----fueling, drop+hook, waiting for load etc. EXCEPT manditory 30 min dot break. So even if you do drop and hook for nothing, and then have to hook right back up, you still get paid and paid more in this case.

FlaSwampRat Thanks this.
  9. Russian Rabbit

Russian Rabbit Road Train Member

Jan 3, 2016
    i carry redtags and zipties and put it right on the red gladhand---so you can't miss it. If the trailer is in the door, i'll tape a note to the pullstrap saying NOT to reload the trailer. Fortunately, we have tip-top maintenance, so trailer problems are rare.

This is one area that is not emphasized and is inefficient in our company and, i would suspect, at other companies.

USMC 3531 Thanks this.
  10. McUzi

McUzi Road Train Member

Jan 14, 2018
    1) All hubs (to my knowledge, at least all the hubs in my region) have scales. Some end of line centers however, do as well, most do not. If I had a load I wished` to scale and don't have access to one on FX property, I could use my fuel card to make use of a CAT scale at a truckstop if need be. As a general rule in the NorthEast, freight going out sucks, freight going in is gravy. So from an end of line center, I've never had a questionable trailer (weight wise). And out of the 3 hubs in my region that I could go to, only 1 of them are habitual offenders of overloading trailers. Naturally, that's the one I'm bidded to.

3) There's a few convoluted rules on the delay time as an hourly pay that we have, all based on the length and type of run. Meets qualify for delay after your break, regardless of trip length. Shuttle runs don't qualify for delay time, between 400-475 miles, below 400 miles it is mandatory for dock work. Hub turns (runs over 475 miles to a hub) qualify for delay after your break. My run is a shuttle run that doesn't require dock work. Instead of working the dock all night (being last in the lane that has a 3-4 hour delay window until my trailers are ready). Sure, I could pump another 15-20 hours into my paycheck, but I'd rather sleep and be bright eyed for the return trip.

FlaSwampRat Thanks this.
  11. jmz

jmz Road Train Member

Mar 9, 2018
    Great Plains
    All hubs have them and some end of line terminals do. I know of 2 others in the area (besides mine) that have them.

We get 30 minutes of pay for each drop and each hook, so unless it takes you an hour to drop a set then hook back up, FedEx has the slight advantage in that specific scenario. Overall, being on the clock automatically for all non-driving work is a pretty nice advantage though. It would take away a lot of the pressure to get things done quickly.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

• Thread Status:
    Not open for further replies.