FedEx Freight Diary (ala Russian Rabbit)

Discussion in 'LTL and Local Delivery Trucking Forum' started by McUzi, Jul 17, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. McUzi

McUzi Road Train Member

Jan 14, 2018
    A few solutions:

Have wife work, which is useless because having day care costs amount to college tuition as far as I can tell

Make less money, spend time griping about it while spending time with family

Make more money, never have time to spend it on family

My other real fact that I’m struggling with is I don’t want to live in New England forever. I don’t want to go home to S. Florida but likely Texas, Wyoming, Utah or Idaho where most of my family that is still alive lives. When I finally get it together to move, I get to start all over at the bottom of a list and deal with not running all over again.

I don’t think with my long term goals, having learned the way this company operates, FXF fits my long term career outlook any longer. I love the easy money, but I’m also concerned about becoming hamstrung and not being able to walk away from it.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. jmz

jmz Road Train Member

Mar 9, 2018
    Great Plains
    Moving and ending up at the bottom of the board would suck, but you can be strategic about it and talk to drivers in the area you are considering moving to about what your best options may be. I know a driver who transferred to a small EOL terminal in the south and it turned out exactly like he was told it would. Steady amount of outbound freight to the hub, with high potential for VIAs and kickouts. If you can find a location with steady runs, being at top pay in a lower cost of living area should help ease the stress about money.

I plan to move to the northeast at some point after I hit top pay, and my strategy is to look mostly for openings at hubs. That way even if I don’t get a run, I can work the dock all night for $30+/hr. And when I do get a run, it should be to another hub or a meet, which should be some decent miles (as long as it’s not one of those where the nearest hub is 50 miles away). I’m thinking ROC would work out pretty nice if I can get on there.

FlaSwampRat, McUzi and USMC 3531 Thank this.
  4. McUzi

McUzi Road Train Member

Jan 14, 2018
    @jmz oh trust me, I get that. It really doesn’t sit well to move to a location that I otherwise wouldn’t move to. For example, I discovered the Aurora, NE terminal, well... relay center. Nothing but miles and miles for drivers out of it. It looks like absolute gravy from a money standpoint. But, I've been to Nebraska, and I sure as hell ain't living there.

As far as moving to New England... are you high?

When you make the move, stay away from the NNW, NWB and HFD hub cluster. You could start at NWB, go to NNW, then HFD and back to NWB and still have less than 400 miles the entire night.

If you did have to pick one of those hubs, I’d pick NWB. Portland, ME from there is over a 600 mile dispatch.

Last edited: Nov 11, 2019
    FlaSwampRat and jmz Thank this.
  5. jmz

jmz Road Train Member

Mar 9, 2018
    Great Plains
    I made a note of all of the hub locations so when I’m ready, I can just keep an eye on job postings and decide from there. Also made note of all of the relay yards too, just in case lol.

McUzi Thanks this.
  6. prinzipal

prinzipal Bobtail Member

Nov 12, 2019
    i’m FXF linehaul at a satellite, looking to go cryo as well

McUzi and FlaSwampRat Thank this.
  7. Gearjammin' Penguin

Gearjammin' Penguin "Ride Fast-Truck Safe"

Feb 18, 2007
    Central AZ
    Don't blame ya--satellite yards don't tend to have a lot of miles for their line drivers.

FlaSwampRat Thanks this.
  8. McUzi

McUzi Road Train Member

Jan 14, 2018
    Very easy week that just past. One night my run was cut and bumped down to a dock bid, switched trailers all night for 3.5 hours, so that was an enjoyable evening. A couple senior guys took some days off, bumping me higher in my lane, making for much earlier nights. I ended up using sick time as well for some family stuff to help my wife with, so not as high as I'd like it to be.

I'm liking the difference I see now that I hit top scale though. Still a high probability to clear $90k for my first year on linehaul, and slightly possible to clear $95k at this point.

Attached Files:

9. jmz

jmz Road Train Member

Mar 9, 2018
    Great Plains
    Another pretty typical week with 17.5 hours on the clock between meetings, dock work, and delays, and an average amount of miles as well. Unfortunately I pulled a lot of rail vans, so I lost out a bit on task pay with all of those TOs instead of Hooks and Drops, and this actually caused me to make slightly less than last week when I was on the dock for longer and got less miles. Doesn't really bother me too much, because I still prefer it 10x more than running freight on that freezing cold dock all night.

I ended up with a lot of delay, most of which was from a breakdown at a dark terminal. I just had to call central and wait for the shop truck from the hub to come out and get me rolling again.

Attached Files:

FlaSwampRat and McUzi Thank this.
  10. hermyinaz

hermyinaz Bobtail Member

May 16, 2017
    Yeah I transferred from a city driver in Phoenix to a road driver in Flagstaff AZ. I’m kind of in the same dilemma. Wife and kids are down in Phoenix still and I’m up here Mon through Friday. It’s not busy enough now to move my family up here and I’m thinking is this really worth it not seeing my boys football games or practices etc..... When our city drivers call in I fill in for them so I been basically been doing city for the last couple of months now cuz I run days with that and with our road it’s days and nights being on the extra board. You could transfer to the city job if you decide to move and have normal hours and still keep your insurance and stuff. Yeah not as much pay but you could still clear 900 to 1200 a week. Just depending if that yard has ot or not. That’s also another problem Fedex has pretty much slashed all of their ot now for hourly employees which pretty much sucks ha.

FlaSwampRat and McUzi Thank this.
  11. McUzi

McUzi Road Train Member

Jan 14, 2018
    @hermyinaz yuck. Hopefully you guys pick up sooner than later out there. That constant chance of flopping my sleep schedule every week would drive me insane.

FlaSwampRat Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

• Thread Status:
    Not open for further replies.