FedEx Freight Diary (ala Russian Rabbit)

Discussion in 'LTL and Local Delivery Trucking Forum' started by McUzi, Jul 17, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jtaran06

jtaran06 Road Train Member

Dec 23, 2007
    western ky
    They are hiring in my area. But throwing boxes idk lol

Mike2633 Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. McUzi

McUzi Road Train Member

Jan 14, 2018
    My run was cut last night but ended up with a forced dock run instead for 246 miles round trip. Fortunately I'm able to hostle in the yard instead. Dockwork is anathema to me. Total garbage week of $763 earned, but I've yet to ever have a week like this since I was in training, and for better or worse I've yet to feel any real pain points at my time with FXF. Took every bone in my body to refuse to use paid sick time or vacation time to cover the loss.

My kite from the hub of course had lots of electrical issues that the driver who brought it in didn't write up or inform anyone of, so it took the shop about 30 minutes to tinker with the wiring under the trailer to get everything working again. Fortunately it was fixable, that immediate panic of having to break the set to put the pup back in a door for the dock to swing the freight was in full force.

4. MACK E-6

MACK E-6 Moderator Staff Member

Sep 19, 2005
    Baltimore, MD
    Hopefully that idiot got at least a stern talking to for that.

McUzi Thanks this.
  5. Russian Rabbit

Russian Rabbit Road Train Member

Jan 3, 2016
    i'd like to compare and contrast "purple vs. brown," for informational purposes if i may?

First, regarding delay time. i don't think we get "delay time" in the same way you/"purple" do? We go on the clock as soon as we reach a terminal----dropping and hooking, fueling, waiting for loads, we're on hourly pay. The only time we wouldn't be on the clock at a terminal is if you take your DOT break or any other break.

Next, i'd like to address terminals:

HUB
    Yes, pretty much the same----freight gets brought in from all over the region to be re-consolidated onto outgoing trailers to go to their final destinations.

Pros---usually have fully equipped/fully staffed 24hr pro shops---can fix almost anything.
    Usually have fast fuel pumps. Multi -lane.

Cons---too chaotic, and in our case, leads to possible rudeness.
    i think in our case, large number of drivers is of no consequence----we have TOO MUCH FREIGHT---we only care about numbers after all. So, i don't think there is very much sitting around. Quite the opposite.

Mini-HUB wwe have mini-hubs, which are basically the same as a hub, just smaller in operations. Quite a bit of freight from a mini-hub may go to a regular hub. Some of it is relay(to be swapped with another driver/or team)

Ghost-HUB(S): These are unofficial, under-the-radar, possibly "experimental" "hubs" that operate just like a mini-hub, but are even smaller than a mini-hub. When i say "under-the-radar," i mean the customer does not know these exist for marketing purposes. Many/most employees don't know about them either.....

SATELLITE YARD:

What you're calling a "satellite yard," i call an EOL, End-of-line terminal. Meaning freight ends up here as it's final destination to be delivered by local, city trucks during the day. The local trucks will also pickup freight to go out at night---to the hubs. But freight does not come here from all around to be re-consolidated. These are usually, but not always, smaller in physical size than a hub. Some have shops, some don't. Some may not have fuel, so always make sure you have fuel before you leave your home yard. Some of these are "dark,"-----unstaffed at night by the time you get there. This could be a pro or a con.

"PROS"---smaller---everyone knows each other yes. We operate on strict union, seniority rules----thus you bid, every six months, on which run you want. It really depends on the terminal, but in many cases, you DO NOT do everything----dock, jockey, etc. You might just drive.
    Linehaul runs are not necessarily short, although many are----because you'll just be going to a hub and working the dock for a few hours---we call this "Niteliner." Still good money. Extra-board, you will run your tail off if you want.

"CONS" Yes, any major work on equipment will require getting the equipment to a hub---and then it can be tied up for weeks. We generally don't have any drama that i've seen. What we DO have is an unhealthy obsession with numbers and a complete disregard for residential freight and residential "customer service."

RELAY YARD:
    i don't think we have relay yards(?) We do have relay meet points---usually a truckstop or 24hr convenience stores.

The pros and cons wouldn't apply here because all relay runs operate out of hubs/terminals because i don't think we have relay yards. Also, i think percentage wise, based on my experiences at least, about 30-40% of the time a set is already hooked up.

The Shadow, McUzi, jtaran06 and 2 others Thank this.
  6. MACK E-6

MACK E-6 Moderator Staff Member

Sep 19, 2005
    Baltimore, MD
    I’d be lying if I said that would hurt my feelings.

7. speedyk

speedyk Road Train Member

Apr 8, 2015
    FLG and Holbrook are sorta both, right? Which is why the new FLG terminal being planned, to put all those runs in one box, from what I gather.

8. McUzi

McUzi Road Train Member

Jan 14, 2018
    Our delay time system takes some getting used to.

Runs that are over 475 miles qualify for delay time by default. Run to the hub, drop the set, take lunch break and then the delay begins as soon as your 30 is finished. Delay ends when dispatch prints your dispatch to your next leg or home.

Runs under that do not qualify for delay. However, runs between 400-474 miles to a hub are optional dock work. So if you want to get paid, hit the dock or hostle.

Runs under 400 miles have mandatory dock work.

Other delay time that you qualify for is if you have a mechanical issue that the shop has to repair, breakdowns, accident or dot inspections.

Meets qualify for delay pay regardless of length of haul, once you’ve completed your lunch break while waiting for the other driver.

Run time delay exists on runs/vias less than 50 miles, so a few traffic lights or construction on a short run triggers it automatically in the handheld based on the baseline runtime for a trip. There is a hub in the northeast that has another hub less than 2 miles away. There is a bid which exists to shuttle sets back and forth all day long, and getting 1 red light is enough to trigger the delay.

Figure that on a hub turn of 475 miles or more, hourly wise you come out ahead of your hourly rate since drop and hooks are paid at a half hour of your hourly rate (when it takes about 15 minutes to hook or drop the set, this is where you come out ahead) and your delay pay starts immediately after your dot break at the hub.

The guys that get hosed are the last in a 400-474 mile shuttle run. Most don’t have any inclination to work the dock, so they nap in their truck for a few hours unpaid. I personally can’t sleep in a day cab so I go hit the dock and chase my freight or grab a yard horse.

The Shadow and jmz Thank this.
  9. McUzi

McUzi Road Train Member

Jan 14, 2018
    Unlikely, the growing trend seems to be not to hold folks accountable.

10. Gearjammin' Penguin

Gearjammin' Penguin "Ride Fast-Truck Safe"

Feb 18, 2007
    Central AZ
    HOL is a relay yard. No P&D, no make & break. FLG is technically a hub, kind of like what Rabbit termed a mini-hub. Due to its unique circumstances, it has some comon ground with satellite/EOL yard, but it technically ain't really one.

Haven't heard about them planning a new FLG center, but they never tell us anything so I'm not surprised. :D

McUzi and speedyk Thank this.
  11. McUzi

McUzi Road Train Member

Jan 14, 2018
    Treat us like mushrooms; feed us #### and keep us in the dark.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

• Thread Status:
    Not open for further replies.