FedEx Freight Diary (ala Russian Rabbit)

Discussion in 'LTL and Local Delivery Trucking Forum' started by McUzi, Jul 17, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Bob Dobalina

Bob Dobalina Road Train Member

Sep 20, 2015
    The "Buckeye"
    And when I say accounting for all of his time in the truck I am including the 10 hours off as well. So add 40 more hours to that and you get less than $12 per hour. That's the only way the retail analogy makes any sense.

USMC 3531, FlaSwampRat and McUzi Thank this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. McUzi

McUzi Road Train Member

Jan 14, 2018
    Agreed. I’m not a fan of unions, but I’d love to see a bunch of Swift, Prime or Schneider company drivers put up a solid attempt at organizing just to help stick it to the companies after years of the companies sticking it to them.

Only hurdle that really stands in their way is the fractured communication between all their drivers.

4. McUzi

McUzi Road Train Member

Jan 14, 2018
    I hope you poor devils never have to get involved with HireRight. The company I’m going to uses them for their entire hiring process. Clean background, MVR and PSP and still going on 7 days pending. Come to find out, HireRight (a third party) subs out some of their own internal processes to their own third parties lol.

I am however, pleasantly surprised with how much clout my HR manager has in dealing with them. Should be giving my notice in the next day or two.

5. Russian Rabbit

Russian Rabbit Road Train Member

Jan 3, 2016
    Ok, how do we know for certain the local hours won't be enough? Will the current hours availability be permanent? i know this is not easy to predict. At the same token, it should generally stabilize out and be somewhat predictable. (and then you can budget for it?) i have the family unit in mynd all the time.

i disapprove of the move at this time.

Let's think REAL carefully about this.

We ARE the big players. The TOP players. We ARE in the big leagues as far as driving jobs. We've got top pay and benefits and the best equipment. We've got the biggest reputations (and thus freight follows us around and not salespeople having to chase freight) although we have the best sales forces too---which means more $$$. Despite all of our, mostly legitimate gripes, we have the most well organized companies.

i'm not saying it can't work at a small(er) company, but why mess with it?

i would even say if hours are really a concern then possibly consider jumping over to browntown. (although you provably can't afford to take a pay regression for 4 yrs.....)

SOLIDITY, SAFETY(financially), vs. possible flash-in-the-pan.

i cannot, will not, and do not approve of this move at this time.

dwells40 Thanks this.
  6. Russian Rabbit

Russian Rabbit Road Train Member

Jan 3, 2016
    P.S.
    please list the general ages (i.e., teen, pre-teen etc.) of the shorties and their genders.

This helps in the decision process.
    Thanks.

7. jmz

jmz Road Train Member

Mar 9, 2018
    Great Plains
    Not a bad check considering I only worked three days. And with the way this week is shaping up so far, I'll be surprised if I do any better on the next one.

Attached Files:

McUzi and FlaSwampRat Thank this.
  8. hermyinaz

hermyinaz Bobtail Member

May 16, 2017
    My brother always said the 2 best places are where I’m going and where I’ve been lol ......

FlaSwampRat and McUzi Thank this.
  9. McUzi

McUzi Road Train Member

Jan 14, 2018
    Big players, top players, big leagues in trucking... bragging rights on topics that don't matter.

"Son, I wish I could have been to your karate practices, but I was running with the big dogs."
    "Sorry I wasn't there more, honey, but I made great money."

I could hack the pay progression at Brown. But what's the point? Low guy on the totem pole, junk start times, not working unless the weather is garbage and the senior guys pass, working the dock far more than driving... and then... union dues? No thanks.

I've come to realize, that continuing a lifetime of night time linehaul does a few things:
    -forces me to miss the best part of my kids' lives, and of the several I have, I also have one on the way. Am I going to be in NJ when my wife goes into labor?
    -by continuing to live on such an inflated salary for such an obscure type of driving, forces me to live to work, not work to live.
    -forces me to grow old with my wife not next to me in bed every night

Last edited: Dec 4, 2019
    Cardfan89, JMon, hotrod1653 and 4 others Thank this.
  10. McUzi

McUzi Road Train Member

Jan 14, 2018
    Solid stub for a short week. Double turned twice, did a dock bid run, and landed a nice shuttle run on Friday evening. $85,250ytd.

Attached Files:

11. hotrod1653

hotrod1653 Road Train Member

Aug 29, 2009
    Somewhere in America
    I’m happy for you making this decision, not just for you but for your family. YOU are doing what’s right. Big dogs in trucking or not, you’ve made the right choice.
    Good luck there!!

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

• Thread Status:
    Not open for further replies.