FedEx Freight Diary (ala Russian Rabbit)

Discussion in 'LTL and Local Delivery Trucking Forum' started by McUzi, Jul 17, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. McUzi

McUzi Road Train Member

Jan 14, 2018
    In all fairness, they were economy trailers with less than 2 or 3k on them.

As far as swinging freight in a dark center on a 496 mile double turn, nope... I’d call central and adjust the run to have empties.

jmz and FlaSwampRat Thank this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. McUzi

McUzi Road Train Member

Jan 14, 2018
    Well, this chapter of my life closed 30 minutes ago. This week was pretty good, minus the snow storm in the beginning of the week.. Two double turns with an additional via on the backsides for over 500 miles each with 5 drop and hooks, and got to bump up to my absolute favorite run in the barn... North Newark with a via on the backend as well. 2038 miles with 14 drops and 15 hooks (I didn't add a drop because one of them I came back with 2 minutes left on my 14, parked the set and management had a city driver put away the trailers)

Some nerd stats about my time running linehaul for FedEx Freight this year.
    • 51 weeks, total miles: 92,913
    • 530 drops, 534 hooks
    • 46 hours of delay pay
    • $0.98 CPM for all miles driven averaged amongst all tasks, bonuses, etc.
    • Average gross check: $1756.26
    It was a good run, I'm glad I got to do it, now on to different things. I'm curious to see how my vacation payout goes down.

4. BigDog Trucker

BigDog Trucker Heavy Load Member

Nov 4, 2018
    Congrats, bro! I've been following your posts here. Looks like you had a good run, but sometimes the constant sacrificing isnt worth that pay check! I dont know you but I'm proud you chose your family over money. Good luck to you, brother! I'm sure this next job will seem like a piece of cake vs dealing with fedex, haha!

LtlAnonymous, USMC 3531, McUzi and 3 others Thank this.
  5. usc7902

usc7902 Bobtail Member

Jan 4, 2019
    I’m looking forward to hearing about your new job. I’ve been with fedex about a year and I love the company, but I’m experiencing the same things you are with missing out on family time. I’ve seen several cryo jobs posted in my area lately that have caught my eye but I haven’t pulled the trigger yet. I’m about 65 out of 70 on the city board an have been struggling to get 30 hours lately. The hours I do get are evening hours (mostly dock) when my family is at home and by the time I get off they are already in bed. I have no issue with “doing my time at the bottom” but from what I’ve seen it’s not much better for those on up the line. Those that come in early in the morning are still working until 8 (or later) at night, which pretty much rules out me making it to any of the kids sporting events or school programs. I’m starting to wonder if it’s even worth it to stick it out for a few years and move up the board or not. By then they will be grown and out of school. Sure, Fedex pays well and is a stable company, but is it worth it in the end when I think about all that I’ve missed with my kids growing up? I can definitely relate to where you are coming from with that. I’m going to give it a little more time, but I’m strongly considering other options as well that are more supportive of a good work/life balance during the week. Best of luck in your new endeavor!

6. McUzi

McUzi Road Train Member

Jan 14, 2018
    • "Pull the trigger", leave on good terms and if it doesn't work out you have the option of returning if you want.
    • I've come to look at the "paying your dues" and "doing time on the bottom" as a chicken$hit excuse to overhire and provide the company a buffer for sudden increases in workload while at the same time starving people on the bottom of the list. If I'm hired full time, I expect a full time work schedule.
    • FedEx pays very well, no dispute there. But I would argue against it being a stable company. Since the recent TNT acquisition in Europe, the company has seemingly been exposed to increase global market volatilities, while at the same time using that as an excuse for the company's balance sheet shortfalls. Look at the stock price on Jan 26, 2018... $268.85/shr. Stock price on December 13, 2019... $165.67, having been on perpetual decline since September 2018. THAT is not stability, especially when you scrutinize the vast peaks and valleys in the recent years on the stock price. I'd argue that UPS is FAR more stable by comparison.
    • I think the company is going to begin approaching the topic of layoffs around the country in the near future as the trucking industry contracts (fueled by the economy's meteoric rise causing HUGE increases in LTL and TL capacity) during the election cycle. If it does, are you going to be safe at 5th from the bottom, when you are currently struggling to get 30 hours?
    Thanks for the well wishes. I'm excited to start this new chapter. Bottom line, I loved the work I did at FedEx and I genuinely enjoyed working with the people that I did. I think those near the bottom of any job class board they are currently on need to consider the viability of sticking it out through pending lean times if they want to stay in the company. My biggest hurdle to that on linehaul (no interest in City work at FedEx), is that the company's set up with call blocks, waiting until 9 before you can be considered relieved of on-call status if your run is cut, as well as not knowing your run is cut until the evening causes a huge roadblock in having alternative work availability to keep you afloat.

7. McUzi

McUzi Road Train Member

Jan 14, 2018
    Thank you! Love the paycheck, hate not having time to spend it. It is funny depending on who you talk to. One group of folks think I'm nuts to leave such a lucrative income for the type of work that I did, one group thinks it was smart, and one group thinks it was admirable to prioritize family.

I don't know if this next job will be a piece of cake by comparison to FedEx, just a different type of stress.

8. USMC 3531

USMC 3531 Heavy Load Member

Dec 11, 2016
    It's going to be cool, working days, your own assigned truck, and most importantly seeing your family alot more, deffinetly start another diary on it and goodluck McUzi.

9. usc7902

usc7902 Bobtail Member

Jan 4, 2019
    I can’t say that I disagree with you on any of your points as I have noticed the same trends. I also understand your frustrations with sitting around until 9 to find out if your run has been cut. On the city side I’m on a “flex” schedule and often don’t find out what time I need to come in until the day of unless it’s extremely busy. Since it’s been so slow lately I often sit around all day waiting for the phone to ring only to be called around 1400 and told to come in and work the outbound dock that night (usually 1730 or so until they finish up around 2130. That gets very frustrating because 1) it’s impossible to plan anything on that kind of “schedule” and 2) I get minimal hours when I do that. I’m definitely going to do some serious thinking and weigh my options before I get to far into this thing.

LtlAnonymous, BigDog Trucker and McUzi Thank this.
  10. Dabrian

Dabrian Light Load Member

Jul 27, 2015
    North Carolina
    Are you going to be home everyday on the cryo job?

LtlAnonymous and McUzi Thank this.
  11. McUzi

McUzi Road Train Member

Jan 14, 2018
    Not only will I be home daily, I’ll have a 6am start.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

• Thread Status:
    Not open for further replies.