FedEx Freight Diary (ala Russian Rabbit)

Discussion in 'LTL and Local Delivery Trucking Forum' started by McUzi, Jul 17, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. USMC 3531

USMC 3531 Heavy Load Member

Dec 11, 2016
    I avoided the so called poverty level by $1845 lol, in all seriousness though I agree Bob, in some parts of the country 70 to 80 is great money, I think some drivers just forget how low some other jobs pay.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. USMC 3531

Dec 11, 2016
    The only exception I would make to this are the drivers that are genuinely wanting to work but can't because of company or freight circumstances, I admit I am even guilty of this, you don't feel entitled and are perfectly content with your pay rate, but cuts in hours, miles or even a whole work day or run can get frustrating, especially if it's a ongoing thing, you get it and understand it and tell yourself well that's LTL and it's that time of year, things will turn around, but none the less it's still frustrating and pisses you off sometimes.

McUzi and LtlAnonymous Thank this.
  4. LtlAnonymous

LtlAnonymous Road Train Member

Dec 23, 2016
    The only complaint I ever had at ABF was the heavy workload. They paid me a mint, and wanted to pay me even more. Lol

Banker, Cardfan89, McUzi and 2 others Thank this.
  5. USMC 3531

Dec 11, 2016
    And there is nothing wrong with that lol, I think most of us always want to make more money by human nature, just depends on how far we are willing to go to do it, family, happiness, quality of life, all that life stuff factors in as well.

LtlAnonymous and McUzi Thank this.
  6. McUzi

McUzi Road Train Member

Jan 14, 2018
    My thing with the linehaul cuts I incurred was that I’m hired for full time work, I expect full time work offered, and if not, I expect the flexibility to find my own supplemental work to make up for the shortfall.

FXFs call block system makes it all but impossible to do this, so you’re #### right that I’d be pissed when my gross wasn’t over $1,700. If I’m there for my shift, I’m there for work. I’m at my best when you’re running my balls off.

That whole “gotta pay your dues” excrement with regard to getting to a seniority level yielding consistent work is the company’s brainwashing of frontline employees into accepting a practice of negligent over hiring.

7. LtlAnonymous

LtlAnonymous Road Train Member

Dec 23, 2016
    There was something wrong with it after about two years. I can't believe I made it to 5 years. I was miserable. Lol drying my tears with money, I guess.

USMC 3531 and MACK E-6 Thank this.
  8. Bob Dobalina

Bob Dobalina Road Train Member

Sep 20, 2015
    The "Buckeye"
    I'd look at it another way. You are very fortunate that your 1st trucking job paid so well that you could complain about grossing under $1,700 in a given week. Some drivers (myself included) spent over a decade in bad to mediocre jobs working way harder for nowhere near that kind of money before they managed to get that kind of opportunity.

I've been there, willing to run my ### off but the work just wasn't there. Now I don't have to worry about that, because I paid my dues. Luckily it wasn't hard and it didn't take very long at all at my place. But I've been grateful along the way because I've experienced the entire spectrum of trucking jobs. My job has been awesome even when times were a little harder, but mostly that's just about my attitude toward it.

The fact is LTL is highly variable and cyclical. It's always feast or famine because of the nature of the freight and economic conditions, and the bottom guys always suffer the most. The company won't run them around all night long with empty trailers just to keep them working.

You are fortunate to have started in a top-tier job and be moving to another one, and I admire your guts to make the switch to a better job for your situation. It sounds like a good deal so far, especially considering you won't have to deal with the cyclical nature of LTL freight and paying your dues climbing a seniority board. Good luck!

buckmanmike, Banker, jmz and 6 others Thank this.
  9. McUzi

McUzi Road Train Member

Jan 14, 2018
    I certainly don't dispute that I am fortunate that my second trucking job was so fruitful. Truth be told, I've been fortunate all the way around with each step I've been able to take in trucking.

I take issue however with the way that cuts were taking place during the middle/end of spring time. There was plenty of freight to run across all my center's lanes, BUT, the powers that be in linehaul planning were hell bent on only running "due" freight and reducing empty miles by using hub drivers to via through my center instead of run the bid driver. This wasn't just my center, it was the entire region as far as I knew from talking with drivers at the hubs I went to. The icing on the cake would be that central would cut the runs as "lack of freight", and then run things out as a via, and then when you found out the next day that of the eight Newburgh drivers bidded, 3 were cut, and 5 vias run into your center from Newburgh, the response was "sorry, not paying a claim... planning error." But even when actual freight levels dropped, I never expected them to just run us with empties to keep us working, but it certainly would have been beneficial to all to run the drivers for via coverage needs that will eventually pop up in the evening, or to run the non-due freight and get it to the terminals and the terminals can sit on the freight until they want to run it if not the next morning.

More importantly, I owe an apology to you all here if anything I said painted me as ungrateful to where I've gotten in such a relatively short amount of time, that's certainly not the image I want to project.

USMC 3531, dwells40 and Bob Dobalina Thank this.
  10. jmz

jmz Road Train Member

Mar 9, 2018
    Great Plains
    This was not a pretty check. I only worked 3 days, same as last week, but only got holiday pay for New Years Day. I could have asked to take vacation or sick time to cover not working on NYE, but I’d prefer to just bank those for now.

My attitude has been shifting towards trying to spend as little time as possible at work since I value my free time more than what I’m currently being paid. I’ll never turn down a run, but when it comes to spending hours on the dock, I’d rather leave as early as possible instead of working another hour or two for an extra $20-40. I know that probably sounds bad since this is still a lot of money to some people, but that’s just how it is. US Foods definitely got me hooked on those big pay checks.

Attached Files:

11. Skootlez

Skootlez Light Load Member

May 19, 2015
    Knoxville, TN
    Anyone heard of the contractor TAG logistics around Knoxville, TN? They seem to be hiring line haul drivers. Just curious if anyone has heard good or bad about them.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

• Thread Status:
    Not open for further replies.