FedEx Freight Diary (ala Russian Rabbit)

Discussion in 'LTL and Local Delivery Trucking Forum' started by McUzi, Jul 17, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MACK E-6

MACK E-6 Moderator Staff Member

Sep 19, 2005
    Baltimore, MD
    From what drivers have told me, FedEx is absolutely hell on gate times and when one misses their designated gate time management demands somebody’s head.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. McUzi

McUzi Road Train Member

Jan 14, 2018
    I’ve missed gate before when I have received my dispatch on time, always because of mechanical or computer issues. I get asked about it when I get to the hub or return in the morning, but it’s never really more than a “Hey what happened last night” and I never hear about it again.

MACK E-6 Thanks this.
  4. Russian Rabbit

Russian Rabbit Road Train Member

Jan 3, 2016

Ok, so that's one difference between purple and brown. i got chewed out in front of a whole hub terminal for being late by some corpo who i'd never seen and and have never seen since. That was not cool. You want admonish me, do it in private.

Just my luck:
    1) She happened to be there visiting/monitoring? that night. Never seen her before, never seen her since. Whoever she is, she don't seem like the happiest camper, let's just say.....

2) i had two guaranteed next day deliveries (we NEVER get guaranteed next days. Or very rarely). i made it to terminal WELL after 12am. There was no time to strip the trailers to put them on any outbound trailers.

3) i had went in on a friday, which is normally my night off, but i needed the $$$. i did take like a 90 min nap, but the truck was actually not running well (clogged fuel filter) which is the excuse i used and i did message dispatch----but i still got blamed cause that's the way it is here at upsf. We definitely have the "driver's fault" culture here.....

i was not written up for it, so maybe the truck problem excuse (which was legit) worked?

One thing about UPSF is that most managers don't introduce themselves before talking to you. That's rude as F. i don't know how it is at fed ex or other places?

So we are pretty strict on gate (leaving out) times AND we really want you to the hub no later than 12am. Earlier is better. We are not as strict about when you get back to your home terminal. Although, the city drivers won't be too happy with you if you are too late.....

McUzi Thanks this.
  5. McUzi

McUzi Road Train Member

Jan 14, 2018
    Most managers here are personable folk, never paid attention to the introduction or lack thereof because I'm usually the first to initiate it. There are the occasional guys I run into that are not personable and very rigid, but they are far from aggressive or rude.

Now, my experience on gates is not to say that management isn't strict on the gate times, but when your dispatch is given to you with less than 30 minutes to your gate time, it's generally accepted that the missed gate is by default the dispatch's fault.

HOWEVER, with regard to gates at the hubs, it seems dependent upon the center manager's reign. For example, our North Newark terminal has gotten into a groove where if my gate time is 0330, they are cutting the trailers at 0257 to get me on the road, and whatever freight they have missed on my trailers will get run by a city driver or via it out with a driver on a later gate time if possible. Even when I was running last in the N. Newark lane, I can only count a handful of times in which I was dispatched after my 0300 show time, and every time seemed to be the result of me being sent with a via on a lane that they had miscalculated the outbound trailers and would have rather run me with a via late as opposed to running a trailer with empty miles. Newburgh and Hartford, however will dispatch you when your trailers are done, no deviation from the outload plan.

My center has a supervisor that runs the inbound who will approach me when I come back late... He's one of those personable people exceptions.

Him: "What took so long?"
    Me: "Took 495 around an accident that happened on I-90"
    Him: "Looks like those 1030am guaranteed bills aren't making it on time"
    Me: "Should probably talk to the hub about dropping guaranteed freight on the last guy in the lane which has a documented history of never being dispatched before my GATE time."

I do however, hate being late coming back, because I definitely see the ripple effect. I get back late, the city drivers who are waiting on me get out late. Those same city drivers running late are also picking up and delivering late. Those same city drivers get back to the center late. The dock works my freight late. I get dispatched late to the hub. This bid that I ended up on at the beginning of July never runs on time. Of the 8 total in my lane, only the top 6 are consistently on time for service, both at the hub and my center.

Bob Dobalina Thanks this.
  6. jmz

jmz Road Train Member

Mar 9, 2018
    Great Plains
    From what I’ve seen, it’s viewed as the dispatchers problem and they need to give an explanation for every missed gate. I’ve been called 5 minutes after my gate and asked why I haven’t left yet, and as soon as I give a good reason, that’s the end of it.

MACK E-6 and McUzi Thank this.
  7. McUzi

McUzi Road Train Member

Jan 14, 2018
    $160 shy from being at $60k YTD so far. I'm not complaining having not even completed my first full year on linehaul.

This last week was 100% running my bid, and running my 14 out nearly every day. I have the option to work the dock if I choose to, but I don't. Instead, I take a 2.5-3 hour nap at the hub, for a handful of reasons.
    1. I am not here to work the dock
    2. Time spent off duty does not go against my 70
    3. Dock work does go against my 70
    4. If I don't finish the week with at least 10 hours of available time on my 70, I have no ability to run on Saturday, which I love to do.
    5. I enjoy the nap, and it makes the 4 1/2 hour return trip easy and stress free being bright eyed and bushy tailed
    NOW, if I was someone that does not look forward to running on Saturday, in this scenario, if I were to work 2.5 hours of dock work every day, that would be an additional $329 in my pocket at my current pay rate. At the same token, I'd rather run Saturday, which with everything being closed is a turn and screw type of run, netting about $350 for 9.25 hours of work, as opposed to 329 for 12.5 hours of weekly dock work. Like I said, I enjoy the nap, it certainly makes the return trip better since my run generally always comes within an hour of running out of time.

Attached Files:

MACK E-6, The Shadow and Bob Dobalina Thank this.
  8. The Shadow

The Shadow Light Load Member

Jun 11, 2018
    NC
    Just to be clear, the Saturdays your working are your 5th day or your 6th? I ask because I would gladly give up $21 if it meant I could be sure I was off and could spend my 6th day of the week holding handlebars and not a steering wheel. Don’t get me wrong, we all have our life’s priorities in our own order and you’re right in making sure getting enough sleep stays close to the top. Especially in this line of work.

9. McUzi

McUzi Road Train Member

Jan 14, 2018
    I generally only get 1 or two Saturday runs a month, and they are the 6th day in my work week when I do.

I bought a new Silverado this year, so I’m working my backside off to pay it off in 18-24 months instead of 60.

Also, the $21 difference used in my figure isn’t preferring to make $21 overall, it’s because the linehaul work is paid higher when broken down by the hour, roughly a 3 hour difference in workload compared to running a fork on a congested and busy dock.

Last edited: Aug 28, 2019
    The Shadow Thanks this.
  10. MACK E-6

MACK E-6 Moderator Staff Member

Sep 19, 2005
    Baltimore, MD
    Mine stopped when the sleeper team I was meeting stopped doing the run, and their replacements turned out to be non-driving idiots that don’t know how to keep that left door shut and the hammer down.

Gearjammin' Penguin and McUzi Thank this.
  11. BigDog Trucker

BigDog Trucker Heavy Load Member

Nov 4, 2018
    It was always fun sling residential freight out of the back of the trailer. Good times.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

• Thread Status:
    Not open for further replies.