FedEx Freight Hiring Process?

Discussion in 'FedEx' started by Trucker42BC, Jan 14, 2018.

1. artek

artek Light Load Member

Aug 10, 2016
    NJ
    Did they mention if training is shorter for inexperienced CDL holders --- or everyone must go through the same training (regardless if CLP or CDL holder)?

I applied 6 weeks ago, no communication received yet yay/nay.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. SmoothTrucker23

SmoothTrucker23 Light Load Member

Jan 23, 2018
    I think the training is longer. Anyways i went to the interview and they said they would give me a ring but nothing yet and its been like 2 weeks already. I started with another local company so no worries

artek Thanks this.
  4. artek

artek Light Load Member

Aug 10, 2016
    NJ
    fyi
    7 weeks of apprentice training for all with less than 1 year experience.

SmoothTrucker23 Thanks this.
  5. Trex2500

Trex2500 Bobtail Member

Jun 27, 2016
    Ive been at FXF for about eight months now. Love it no end! As far as my hiring process it only lasted about 3 weeks until I was running on my own. It depends on previous experience and how fast they want you going.
    Also, you will go to a driver development class thing. Mine was 4 days and because of where I live and work I commuted. I got lucky that I got into a class so quickly.

For anyone who applied and is still waiting for a call back my advice would be to call the service center. Often! Dont be rude or pushy but def check in once a week minimum until you find out what is going on.

I cant say anything about the apprentice program because I didnt go through it but a lot of The other guys did. Seems okay to me, but I dont have any details, sorry.

artek Thanks this.
  6. artek

artek Light Load Member

Aug 10, 2016
    NJ
    Are you road or city?

7. Trex2500

Trex2500 Bobtail Member

Jun 27, 2016
    Road

8. Trex2500

Trex2500 Bobtail Member

Jun 27, 2016
    There is a lot more to the city driving. Road is hook the set, make your run, break set, work dock, hook another set, go back to barn, drop out and that's it.

9. Trex2500

Trex2500 Bobtail Member

Jun 27, 2016
    Sorry, I keep forgetting things haha. So the length of progression and pay rates will vary. Ive seen pay a buck more or less an hour and mileage a penny or whatever above or below. This depends on location. Both pay and progression depend also on how hard it is for that particular location to get new drivers. Most of the guys right above me came on about 2 years ago and they went to top rate in 1 year! This is something to ask the service center manager.

artek Thanks this.
  10. artek

artek Light Load Member

Aug 10, 2016
    NJ
    How many hours dock vs line haul driving are you averaging or hearing from others?

I'm concerned dock will be a large portion for the nonsenior RDs and no OT at our SC will make it tough to make decent earnings.

11. Trex2500

Trex2500 Bobtail Member

Jun 27, 2016
    There's no way to tell without knowing the bids. Our lowest mileage bid is mine and its 182 miles round trip, with 4 to 5 hours dock in between. Our highest mileage is 560 a night, obviously no dock.

On runs less than 200 miles you are required to work dock.
    On runs 200 to 240 miles you have the option to work dock while waiting at the hub or nap in the truck, listen to podcast, ######## with other drivers, etc.
    Over 240 miles they wont let you work dock.

But the low senority guys always get the bids with most dock work. Always!

Our other runs are as follows as best I can remember:
    280 mile,round trip with 2 to 3 hours dock.
    300 mile roundtrip, 2 to 3 hour dock
    375 round trip, 2 to 4 hour dock

Then our 3 big runs, which are all over 400 miles, the largest being 560, so no dock unless you want to.

It all depends on the runs at the individual SC's. My house is super busy so our extra board is hard to get on to. Plus, I dont know about anyone elses bills besides mine and I am single and no kids so...yeah,,sorry to say to all the married men but its almost all cash in my pocket lol.

lagbrosdetmi and artek Thank this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.